Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Renovation! Here's the Kitchen/Sunroom **UPDATE - Post 30**

Home Renovation! Here's the Kitchen/Sunroom **UPDATE - Post 30**

Sorry guys that I haven't been around. So busy this year - first Rob's court case is presented this month - from last year's car accident), then our wedding and now we purchased a cottage property. I've been checking in but not posting much since I have such little time. But, I posted a new Gigi and Steve thread in the Cat forum which related to my home renos (see here.....http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...07#post2258807

Some of you know that I've been renovating a century old house (like, forever ). I finally organized some of my home renovation photos. I know many of you wanted me to post them some months back and I didn't have a chance. So, better late than never!

We moved into a 'handyman' special house and everything had to be replaced, from the old knob and tube wiring to the roof, to the flooring, to the bathroom, to the garage, to the plumbing, to the windows. You get the picture? So, let's just say we've been busy.

We decided to tear out the kitchen and move it from the left side of the house to the right side of the house (since we had nothing better to do ). We removed a main floor bedroom to make space for the kitchen. At the same time, we blew out the back wall and added a glassed in sunroom. So, here are the pics!

We did the majority of the renos (except the sunroom install) and my husband designed and manufactured the kitchen doors/cabinets and drawers himself. Lucky for us! Saved a great deal of money!

The whole house consisted of yellow/white painted walls, green painted floors/counter (yes, you heard me correctly) and burgandy painted kitchen cabinets. Bleh! Ugly as sin.
    Original Kitchen - Left side of house

This is where we started to tear down the wall that divided the kitchen from the bedroom:

Final view, with the wall removed and re-supported (load bearing wall):

Looking back to the old kitchen space, with everything removed:

And this is the angle looking into the new solarium and new kitchen (old bedroom). You can see the tubing on the floor of the solarium...this is the installation of the heated floors for that room:

Continued in next post.........
    Last edited by Russian Blue; 05-24-2010 at 08:20 PM.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Okay, so here is the new kitchen with cabinets being installed, counter installed and new flooring installed. We removed the original window and have a pass through that looks into the new solarium and lets in great natural light:

Wood drawers with anti-slam hinges (this pic was before the drawer face was added):

My husband, Rob, cutting into the counter to install the sink:

My view when doing dishes.

Since we lived in a century old home, I decided on a tin backsplash in a unique celtic pattern:

The rest of the renovated kitchen:

The counter we chose is from WilsonArt and it's to resemble soapstone:

And, finally, this is looking back into the room that was the old kitchen, now our dining room. The window blinds are old and will be replaced. Plus, a radiator cover/baseboards still need to be installed:

And looking into the new sunroom with fireplace:

Everything is beautiful!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Love it!! It's nice when we or our significant other can do that type of work. It sure saves alot of $... I used to date a carpenter who could do anything. It was awesome. Thanks for sharing the pics, I'm jealous of the sunroom

Very nicely done.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Wow, that is all so beautiful!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

That is beautiful; such a lot of hard work but it was certainly a success! Would you tell me where you found the tin splashback? It is beautiful and would be just right in my kitchen too! I live in a century old renovated ( well nearly) house too.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Everything is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing these pictures with us. I bet you're so glad that it's finally finished.

>> Wow!! <<

You guys do NICE work!!

All that hard work has certainly paid off. It looks fantastic!!

Uhhh, could you and hubby make my house your next renovation project

Very nice! I especially like the sun room.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thanks everyone! This has been one very long renovation. My husband was able to design and manufacture all the cabinets and drawers himself. This saved us a huge amount of money (the whole kitchen only cost $1K), but it took forever since he had to use the shop machines after work or on weekends. Since this was the first time we had to create and manufacture cabinets, there were quite a few errors which were time consuming. But, as they say, measure three times, cut once.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilith Cherry View Post
    ........Would you tell me where you found the tin splashback? It is beautiful and would be just right in my kitchen too! I live in a century old renovated ( well nearly) house too.
    They have them at Home Depot, but the sheets are not made of tin and instead is some type of plastic? I saw them and really didn't like the patterns or the look.

Then I found Brian Greer - the God of Tin Ceilings and Mouldings Tin Ceilings! He's located near me and he's simply amazing. He can reproduce any pattern or even create something from your own design. He's involved in many restoration projects throughout North America.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    ..........I bet you're so glad that it's finally finished.
    It's not finished yet. We still need to finish the radiator covers, baseboards and the upstairs bedrooms. Plus, install the deck off the back of the house. Unfortunately everything stopped last year when Rob had his car accident. So now we're slowly picking up where we left off.

We'll probably sell the house next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by RobiLee View Post
    ............Uhhh, could you and hubby make my house your next renovation project
    Take a number. He already is working on two other projects for associates and the job requests have not stopped coming. I think he'll have to quit his day job since these side reno jobs pay more!

It sounds great that he's in demand but not so great when I need MY home projects finished. *sigh* I guess I'll have to take a number as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    Very nice! I especially like the sun room.
    Thanks! I love the sunroom and brings in so much needed light into this small house. Our electricity bills have been reduced also since we don't need to turn on any lights at the back of the house. You can also hear it when it rains since it's hitting the glass. I love the sound of rain since it's really relaxing.

You and Rob (and Steve and Gigi, of course!) have turned a house into a beautiful home I love your style - elegant, but comfortable!

PS. loved the photos of Steve and Gigi supervising the dishwasher install. Eve, our little monkey cat, loves to sit on top of the tallest ladder and doesn't miss a thing ... she's NOT shy with her comments either We couldn't do a thing without her help
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Thank you so much for the info!

And yes cats are born "supervisors"!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi