Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What makes a dog bite?

Oh and BTW, I'm not about to send my severely abused 7 lb puppy mill rescue that was SO abused I taught him how to use his back legs at 6 years old because the cage he lived in was so small that had burns on his feet/body from laying in urine to the rainbow bridge for biting. And yes, he completely full on bites me at times.

This isn't a flame, but that is just ridiculous!
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Quote Originally Posted by My Peanuts View Post
    Oh and BTW, I'm not about to send my severely abused 7 lb puppy mill rescue that was SO abused I taught him how to use his back legs at 6 years old because the cage he lived in was so small that had burns on his feet/body from laying in urine to the rainbow bridge for biting. And yes, he completely full on bites me at times.

This isn't a flame, but that is just ridiculous!
    Does he draw blood when he bites? or does it just hurt?
    If there is no blood, thats just a nip IMO... I'm talking about a bite, where the teeth sink into your skin & cause you to bleed. Besides your dogs seems to have a reason to bite, Abuse... so thats still not the kind of dog I'm talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by king2005 View Post
    Does he draw blood when he bites? or does it just hurt?
    If there is no blood, thats just a nip IMO... I'm talking about a bite, where the teeth sink into your skin & cause you to bleed. Besides your dogs seems to have a reason to bite, Abuse... so thats still not the kind of dog I'm talking about...

Normally, he does not draw blood, but it's not for lack of trying, his teeth are limited.

Also, please don't get the wrong idea about him. 99% of his day, he snuggles and plays, but when he wakes up in the morning he bites. I get bit everyday, then he snaps out of it and lovess me again.

I do agree with you but to a MUCH lesser extent. For example, some dog fighting dogs can't be rehabilitated and the best thing is euthanasia. For me, it has to be an extreme situation where normal training and evaluations failed.

Thats interesting. I often wondered why dogs that have biting issues don't just have teeth removed.

Thank your for being understanding of Walter. My casey was formerly abused also and I have to watch for her signals for sure....
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    LOL, I didn't even see your response until just now. Thanks to my pals for sticking up for me.

The irony of it is- you completely support my theory, "all dogs bite, it is just a matter of when" when you say,

That is exactly my point! We are humans, they are dogs, we speak different languages, and we do not know- often times- what sets them off and causes a reaction, like biting.

Read, think, breathe, and read again before you spout off.
    Maybe I should have explained better then, not every dog has things that set them off. Dog with traumatic past, poor breeding etc are the ones who you dont know what could set them off, usually still you have some idea that your dog is like that. It's not your dog is happy and healthy half its life then bites because it saw someone dressed in black.
    Also dogs who have no structure in their life (which is A LOT of dogs now a days) will bite to defend themselves because their owner is under them and they cant trust their owner.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Thats interesting. I often wondered why dogs that have biting issues don't just have teeth removed.

Thank your for being understanding of Walter. My casey was formerly abused also and I have to watch for her signals for sure....

Walter is my little man and I love him to death. He needs a mom like me to spoil him after what happened to him at that puppy mill. I owe him the best possible life I can give him.

BTW, we didn't have his teeth removed cause he bites. They were so rotten from the poor diet at the mill. The vet would barely touch them and they would bleed. He had 13 removed in March 2009. He has none, top or bottom, from K9 to K9. He was at the vet yesterday and it looks likehe's going again to have more removed soon.

QUOTE=buttercup132;2263550]
    Also dogs who have no structure in their life (which is A LOT of dogs now a days) will bite to defend themselves because their owner is under them and they cant trust their owner.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this was aimed at me but I wanted to comment. Walter has structure, but we aren't very strict with him. He is 7lbs and the cage he lived in for 6 straight years was so tiny that his legs never devolped correctly. HOW SMALL WAS THAT CAGE! I don't want to know.

If that was me, I would have mental issues for sure. Walter gets away with more than the other dogs for sure, but it's not like I let him run wild.

(also, just wanted to comment-next time anyone is thinking about buying a dog from a pet shop, please think about Walter and all he lived through. The parents of that puppy are more than likely in a tiny cage, with burns on their feet, eating garbage)

In case you want to put a face to a name, Walter is the black guy in the middle. The other 2 are 2 of his 3 brothers. Billy is the brown Min Pin and Willy is the black and white Fox Terrier.

Personally, I wouldn't let Walter get that close to a stanger if I thought he'd nip
    That is the sentence that matters here IMO. You know your dog and wouldn't put him or others in a potential biting situation. How you deal with him in your own home is entirely up to you

Quote Originally Posted by Pawsitive Thinking View Post
    That is the sentence that matters here IMO. You know your dog and wouldn't put him or others in a potential biting situation. How you deal with him in your own home is entirely up to you
    Yep, that's exactly it. The only people I let handle him are my husband, my mom, dad, brother and me on a regular basis. He's usually easy to read and you know when he might strike. I NEVER let strangers touch him and even my close friends don't pick him up. It's the way it has to be and he gets plenty of snuggles from his momma!

My Peanuts, I have tears in my eyes reading your post of Walter. I didn't know this horrible story about him. Bless you a million times over for taking him in and loving him to pieces. He deserves you, and you him, I am sure.

My Peanuts, I have tears in my eyes reading your post of Walter. I didn't know this horrible story about him. Bless you a million times over for taking him in and loving him to pieces. He deserves you, and you him, I am sure.
    I agree 100%!! He is adorable!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Thanks guys! You don't need to thank me for loving Walter. Despite his biting issues, which are only about 1% of his day, I dare anyone that meets him not to love him! He really is mostly a good boy.

I didn't mean it like that, Peanuts! I just meant that you are special person for taking in such a tail of a dog and loving him to pieces!!! Not that no one else would love him.

I didn't mean it like that, Peanuts! I just meant that you are special person for taking in such a tail of a dog and loving him to pieces!!! Not that no one else would love him.
    Oh I know!

My Peanuts, there needs to be more people like you. Like many of the people here on Pet Talk! So many animals have horrific lives in these puppy mills, or any neglectful or abusive homes, only to be saved from them and put to sleep. All living things deserve to have a happy and fulfilled life.... and it breaks my heart to know how many thousands of animals out there with no one who loves are cares for them.... how many will never know what it is to have a loving home.

Bless those who take in these poor animals and let them live out the rest of their lives in happiness

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*