Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What makes a dog bite?

Quote Originally Posted by king2005 View Post
    I think you answered your own question. I'm talking about "bitting" NOT "nipping". BIG difference. So I wont respond to the rest of your post.
    Were you not saying that you would PTS that Collie?

The OP didn't even know she was nipped... she had to check. Not that it's totally horrible that she had to go through that for just standing there, but the dog didn't take a chunk out of her. Nipping can lead to a little bleeding, maybe a scratch or two, but the difference between a nip that leaves no mark and a nip that causes bleeding can come down to something as simple as not being taught good bite inhibition as a puppy. My point was, this dog didn't just race up to a family member and attack them. He nipped a stranger that was in a kind of unusual situation, because his owner gave him the slack to and probably because he is a fearful dog; I wouldn't consider that a random biting dog.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Quote Originally Posted by My Peanuts View Post
    QUOTE=buttercup132;2263550]
    Also dogs who have no structure in their life (which is A LOT of dogs now a days) will bite to defend themselves because their owner is under them and they cant trust their owner.
    I don't think this was aimed at me but I wanted to comment. Walter has structure, but we aren't very strict with him. He is 7lbs and the cage he lived in for 6 straight years was so tiny that his legs never devolped correctly. HOW SMALL WAS THAT CAGE! I don't want to know.

If that was me, I would have mental issues for sure. Walter gets away with more than the other dogs for sure, but it's not like I let him run wild.

(also, just wanted to comment-next time anyone is thinking about buying a dog from a pet shop, please think about Walter and all he lived through. The parents of that puppy are more than likely in a tiny cage, with burns on their feet, eating garbage)

In case you want to put a face to a name, Walter is the black guy in the middle. The other 2 are 2 of his 3 brothers. Billy is the brown Min Pin and Willy is the black and white Fox Terrier.

[/QUOTE]
    You just said he gets away with a lot so no he doesn't have structure.
    If he had teeth that would be a mess to each your own but just because he has no teeth doesnt mean it's right.

Erica there is no point, you know how she is from years ago there is no getting through to her. She put you on her ignore list or say she wishes to not answer that
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132 View Post
    Erica there is no point, you know how she is from years ago there is no getting through to her. She put you on her ignore list or say she wishes to not answer that
    Is this aimed at me? Did I do something to you? At 1st I thought it was, but for the most part, I've been sweet to people on here for years unless they say something terribly off base and crazy. Even in my responses here, I've kept things pleasant.

You just said he gets away with a lot so no he doesn't have structure.
    If he had teeth that would be a mess to each your own but just because he has no teeth doesnt mean it's right.
    1st of all Walter has structure. There are certain things he cannot handle, crates and yelling are 2 he freaks out about. So bad that he actually will lose control of his urine and pee where he stands. He is TERRIFIED and I refuse to put him through any stress that isn't completely needed. I do let him get away with a few things because of his past that I do not let the other dogs get away with.

For example, since he was 6 years old, and never potty trained, I use positive reinforcement to train him to go on a puppy pad. I would not let the other dogs do that, and if the others pee in the house they get yelled at and immediately go outside. That just won't work for Walter.

It's amazing how a blanket statement like, 'he doesn't have structure' can just be thrown out when one literally has no specific details on the situation.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Is this aimed at me? Did I do something to you? At 1st I thought it was, but for the most part, I've been sweet to people on here for years unless they say something terribly off base and crazy. Even in my responses here, I've kept things pleasant.

1st of all Walter has structure. There are certain things he cannot handle, crates and yelling are 2 he freaks out about. So bad that he actually will lose control of his urine and pee where he stands. He is TERRIFIED and I refuse to put him through any stress that isn't completely needed. I do let him get away with a few things because of his past that I do not let the other dogs get away with.

For example, since he was 6 years old, and never potty trained, I use positive reinforcement to train him to go on a puppy pad. I would not let the other dogs do that, and if the others pee in the house they get yelled at and immediately go outside. That just won't work for Walter.

It's amazing how a blanket statement like, 'he doesn't have structure' can just be thrown out when one literally has no specific details on the situation.
    Let it go...I would take those insults with grain of salt. They are ignore worthy.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Let it go...I would take those insults with grain of salt. They are ignore worthy.
    Agreed. BC talks down to everybody!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

No it wasn't to you it was about King, I dont even know if thats her user name anymore.

Letting him go on a pee pad isn't something I would consider letting him get away with, I mean like eating off your plate while you are eating and letting him. That kind of getting away with things.

Pomtzu no actually I'm not just people who assume dogs are aggressive when they aren't.

There are people who were on here way before you who can testify to that, like Erica of course most people have left who were on when I was.
    See ALL my pets here

I have to agree with Buttercup... PT is very different, with very different members. I remember when I used to learn something new every time I came here. It was such a source of knowledge and information for me. I'm not saying that it isn't anymore, but dangerous/ignorant/hateful advice and threads about how irresponsibly owned dogs should die just hurts my heart. And when people try to talk some sense (like in Pomtzu's loose dog thread) they're called names and/or the thread is deleted because it becomes clear who is speaking from an educated viewpoint.

Let me just say, that King was not too popular years ago because of her kill-first-ask-questions-later feelings toward all sorts of animals.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

No it wasn't to you it was about King, I dont even know if thats her user name anymore.
    Me?

Also who's Erica?

Just so I can understand whats going on lol

Erica is bckrazy...

And yes you.

Thank you Erica, I may not say it in the nicest way but after leaving PT I moved onto much better things and learned a lot more then you could learn here.

Go try joining some other dog forums, you will get shot down pretty fast with the way you guys think.
    See ALL my pets here

EDIT: Off topic so out of respect I removed what I said...
    Last edited by king2005; 05-15-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Maybe I should have explained better then, not every dog has things that set them off. Dog with traumatic past, poor breeding etc are the ones who you dont know what could set them off, usually still you have some idea that your dog is like that. It's not your dog is happy and healthy half its life then bites because it saw someone dressed in black.
    Also dogs who have no structure in their life (which is A LOT of dogs now a days) will bite to defend themselves because their owner is under them and they cant trust their owner.
    Missed this post.. oops...

Totally agree... Thats mostly the kind of random bitting I'm talking about.. Bitting for no reason at all... Poor breeding (puppy mills are very much to blame for this, not 100% of course) really does mess up a dogs brain & the dog can be so unpredictable its both dangerous for themselves & anything else in their path.

Also agree with the lack of structure... Same goes for humans too...

Here is one of my Dad's fav stories to tell us (I've been hearing them non-stop for weeks now, as my sister is preg & he wants us to raise our kids properly... no I don't have any.. they will happen soon ).

My sister & I were well behaved kids 90% of the time as we had a solid structure created by our folks (mostly dad). Susan's kids were wild psycho kids & Susan screamed at them all the time & they never obeyed. My dad refused to visit & I hated it too as it was horrible!! Dad loved to babysite the 2 boys as they were very well behaved for him, as he gave them structure, so they knew how to behave & we all got a long great. The second Susan would walk into the house to pick them up, the yelling would start & the kids would be wild again. After that, dad always had them ready outside for them to get into her van so they could be wild in there & not in our house... This also happened with several other neighbours kids Dad babysat for.

Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy View Post
    i have to agree with buttercup... Pt is very different, with very different members. I remember when i used to learn something new every time i came here. It was such a source of knowledge and information for me. I'm not saying that it isn't anymore, but dangerous/ignorant/hateful advice and threads about how irresponsibly owned dogs should die just hurts my heart. And when people try to talk some sense (like in pomtzu's loose dog thread) they're called names and/or the thread is deleted because it becomes clear who is speaking from an educated viewpoint.
    +1

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy View Post
    And when people try to talk some sense (like in Pomtzu's loose dog thread) they're called names and/or the thread is deleted because it becomes clear who is speaking from an educated viewpoint.

(
    Yes - I deleted that thread. Why??? - because it had served it's purpose and it became clear to me, that it was now only attracting the pot-stirrers. Most people posted very sensible comments and suggestions, but there were those bad apples whose only purpose was to try to cause trouble. As far as the educated viewpoint??? - can't say that there were any from those who wanted an argument. They apparently think their word is gospel, however, they need to put a sock in it until they can walk in my shoes and can personally view the situation at hand.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 05-15-2010 at 09:38 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by king2005 View Post
    I thought people hated me because I raised feeder mice/rats for personal use. People were also livid with me becuase I didn't want to "buy" my feeders from a pet store... & because some of my pets eat them live. Now a days, people understand it, so I don't get flamed for it.

I know I'm still hated cause I support the Seal Hunt, but I'm against the law breakers OF the Seal Hunt that allow suffering to happen during it. Suffering IS illegal.. most just don't know that.

People also hated me because I had guns (I'm the devil or something, can't remember what the person called me.. its been so long), Even though I have never gone hunting. Which I also support & want to take part in.

In this post some assumed I meant that all nipping/bitting dogs should die... I tried to explain that bitting for a reason isn't a reason to kill a dog. But random bitting is, which is really hard to explain in text.. Too many think in black & white & assume what I said is only in black & white.. They forget the grey

Remember that expressing how you feel/think in text is hard... its so easy to word something incorrectly, or say something that has a double meaning.. esp when you're dyslexic(me), or your first language isn't English(also me).

anyways... I'll leave this thread alone..
    And because of the Rotti and little dog you adopted then had pts.

And people werent mad at you for raising feeder mice..it was the fact that you treated them like pets that was the sick part.

Pomtzu does it makes you feel good that you come to any thread I post in and say I put everyone down.
    Are you jealous that I have more knowledge when it comes to dogs?
    See ALL my pets here

Pomtzu does it makes you feel good that you come to any thread I post in and say I put everyone down.
    Are you jealous that I have more knowledge when it comes to dogs?
    Please, just stop. You mentioned how you left PT and moved on to "better" things. Then why must you still come back and cause problems?

It's sad really. I enjoyed seeing your animals, but now I am afraid to read your posts because I just know it's going to start some drama.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)