Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What makes a dog bite?

What makes a dog bite?

I got bitten yesterday and I am baffled as to what prompted the bite. It was more of a nip than anything and at first I didn't even think that it broke the skin. I was standing on the sidewalk next to my car strapping my son into his car seat. A girl came up along the sidewalk walking her dog so I took a step closer to my car and closed the door around myself as much as possible. I didn't even LOOK at this dog until I felt it turn around and nip me behind the knee. It didn't bark or growl, just chomped
    It was more shocking than anything and I didn't notice that the dog had done any damage until a couple minutes later when I checked out the stinging sensation and saw that a little bit of blood was oozing down the back of my pant leg.
    So what gives? The girl who was walking him didn't speak English beyond repeating "Sorry" and I don't know enough German to tell her to stay put while I call animal control to pick up her insane man eating Collie (joking, mostly) so I don't even know where they live.
    What would YOU as dog owners do?
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Not sure what prompted the dog to bite you. I know some dogs just plain don't like certain things about people (ie; male, female, facial hair, purfume, etc). There's alot of reasons animals bite people, and sometimes you just never really know why.

I don't know about the situation in Germany, but here Rabies is always a big concern. We have to quaranteen animals for 10 days if they bite someone to be sure they don't have Rabies. Since you don't know where this dog and it's owner live the animal can't be observed for a 10 day quaranteen, you would need to take the rabies postexposure shots to be sure. Rabies is almost always fatal, it's not worth the risk when it's preventable.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/a.../domestic.html

I do hope you are able to find the dog, so you don't have to go through the shots. Good luck.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I have a theory, all dogs bite, it is just a matter of when. There might have been something about the car door closing? Or 50 million other things.

As to rabies, here, in the county I live in, there has not been a reported case of rabies in 30 years. But, you are in another country, forget county! Get the shot!

Could be the dog is just allowed to bite and nip when it feels like it in which case it really should have been muzzled. Why it decided on you is anyone's guess. Is your tetanus up to date?

I got a tetanus shot within the lost couple of years so that is fine.

Kind of an update on the situation, I am for sure not the first person in my neighborhood that has been nipped by this dog. I have seen the dog and the girl around a few times since then and each time the dog has been muzzled. I hope that they KEEP it muzzled while out on walks indefinitely. I don't want to get someone's family dog taken away but I don't want to put my kids at risk either.
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Yikes! Glad it wasn't your son that got bit because it could have resulted in more damage. I'm with the others...dogs can bite for a number of reasons. Let's hope you were the last "victim".
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim View Post
    Kind of an update on the situation, I am for sure not the first person in my neighborhood that has been nipped by this dog. I have seen the dog and the girl around a few times since then and each time the dog has been muzzled. I hope that they KEEP it muzzled while out on walks indefinitely. I don't want to get someone's family dog taken away but I don't want to put my kids at risk either.
    Good to hear that they seem to be doing something about it

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I have a theory, all dogs bite, it is just a matter of when. There might have been something about the car door closing? Or 50 million other things.

As to rabies, here, in the county I live in, there has not been a reported case of rabies in 30 years. But, you are in another country, forget county! Get the shot!
    Your theory is bull , why not do some research on dogs and dog psychology.

There could be a lot of reasons as to why you were bit but without knowing the dog and being there no one will be able to answer your question.
    It could have been something you did that you were totally oblivious to but set the dog off.
    Last edited by buttercup132; 04-30-2010 at 03:39 PM.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Buttercup, wow. You always have something to say about other people's posts, don't you? You are extremely harsh in a lot of your posts.

Cataholic is right. ALL dogs have the potential to bite. Doesn't mean they will, but they can.

I've never been one to get involved in conflicts, ever. But you need to do some research on how to communicate with other people without being rude. And I KNOW other people will agree with me.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by *LabLoverKEB* View Post
    Buttercup, wow. You always have something to say about other people's posts, don't you? You are extremely harsh in a lot of your posts.

Cataholic is right. ALL dogs have the potential to bite. Doesn't mean they will, but they can.

I've never been one to get involved in conflicts, ever. But you need to do some research on how to communicate with other people without being rude. And I KNOW other people will agree with me.
    Agreed!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Agreed!!
    I second that!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I'm also not one to confront people and usually steer clear of an argument if at all possible, but the last few times I have seen Alicia post, it's been quite rude. Now there are plenty of other boards that will tolerate that sort of behaviour but I have always thought Pet Talk to be a very kind and mellow community.

Maybe that comment evoked a strong emotional response from you, but that doesn't mean you have to come back so harshly at her.

Niņo & Eliza

I'm sorry to hear that you were bit..I have been in that position before also,Im not sure why. the dogs were in there senior years,I dont know if they could have been going blind,i moved to fast,regardless i was bit behind the knee both times.

As to the dogs biting,My little Ladies have been naughty latley.

Lacy bit a friend of ours 3 times in the stomach last year,It was my husbands birthday,Rob grabbed me threw me over his shoulders to throw me in the pool.Lacy was not having it,She retaliated.Her mind im sure was thinking she was protecting me,Which i want her to do.I was unsure how to react to the hole situation i was upset what she did,But how was i to scold her.She was doing what she thought was the right thing.Our friend has been over many times since then and she is sweet ol Lacy.When it comes to Me she is very protective as they say Australian Shepherds are very loyal.

Maggy has bit this friend 3 times,more of a nip she never drew blood like lacy did.And other peoples dogs have bit this friend too..I find it suspicious,I dont know if there intimidated by him he stands 6"5 and is a big guy,Maggy just nipped him last week and she does every time he is over.She has never did that to anyone before.

Maggy is a border collie,with very strong herding instincts.Kids cannot run around her they are guaranteed to be rounded up.But Maggy agressive it's not the way she is.I will fight tooth and nail for the girls,Im all they have to protect them.And if it means that this friend no longer comes over so be it.

I agree completely.

You said that a whole lot nicer then I would have