Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What makes a dog bite?

From what I've been taught, brain damage doesn't necessarily show up on blood work, but signs of neurological damage would be present.... But I'm not sure.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by *LabLoverKEB* View Post
    From what I've been taught, brain damage doesn't necessarily show up on blood work, but signs of neurological damage would be present.... But I'm not sure.
    Hmmm... if the dog was dropped on its head & suffered brain damage I have no idea if that would show up in blood work.. but I always thought Cancer & Tumors changed something in the blood so it would alert to an issue of some sort.
    Can you even check for neurological issues with dogs? I don't know how its done with people, so I'm totally clueless :P

Well yes, cancer would definitely show up in blood work!! In order to properly diagnose a brain tumor, you would have to have an MRI (magnetic response imagine) done. Oh yeah, you can check for neurological damage in most animals. There are tests that pertain to the animal's reflexes. The most common ways for a veterinarian to diagnose a neurological problem in animals is by observing their mental state, examining the animal's cranial nerves, postural reflexes (the way the animal responds to how you restrict their balance), radiology (looking for spinal trauma), and from looking at my notes, bloodwork is a diagnostic tool to!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by *LabLoverKEB* View Post
    Well yes, cancer would definitely show up in blood work!! In order to properly diagnose a brain tumor, you would have to have an MRI (magnetic response imagine) done. Oh yeah, you can check for neurological damage in most animals. There are tests that pertain to the animal's reflexes. The most common ways for a veterinarian to diagnose a neurological problem in animals is by observing their mental state, examining the animal's cranial nerves, postural reflexes (the way the animal responds to how you restrict their balance), radiology (looking for spinal trauma), and from looking at my notes, bloodwork is a diagnostic tool to!
    Thats pretty cool!

No but thyroid problems can cause aggression and that shows in blood test.
    If there was brain damage there would be other signs, it doesn't just show up. Of course not everyone would notice though especially people who dont pay attention to their dogs or have outside dogs.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Just wondering how the original poster is doing.........no repercussions from the bite I hope

Still alive and kicking
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim View Post

Still alive and kicking
    YOU or the Dawg ??

The dog of course, didn't you know that the afterlife has DSL
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

The dog of course, didn't you know that the afterlife has DSL
    Lol! yep! you're ok

didn't you know that the afterlife has DSL
    Oh, GREAT!

I'm "there" already!

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132 View Post
    Your theory is bull , why not do some research on dogs and dog psychology.

There could be a lot of reasons as to why you were bit but without knowing the dog and being there no one will be able to answer your question.
    It could have been something you did that you were totally oblivious to but set the dog off.
    LOL, I didn't even see your response until just now. Thanks to my pals for sticking up for me.

The irony of it is- you completely support my theory, "all dogs bite, it is just a matter of when" when you say,

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132 View Post

There could be a lot of reasons as to why you were bit but without knowing the dog and being there no one will be able to answer your question.
    It could have been something you did that you were totally oblivious to but set the dog off.
    That is exactly my point! We are humans, they are dogs, we speak different languages, and we do not know- often times- what sets them off and causes a reaction, like biting.

Read, think, breathe, and read again before you spout off.

Quote Originally Posted by king2005 View Post
    ***warning, non-popular opinion***If you comment on it, keep it CIVIL***
    I know people aren't going to like my opinion on this dog (not talking about puppies) bitting matter, so please bear with me & don't hate/flame me too much. If a dog will bite randomly like that, its a dead dog. I have no tolerance for random bitting dogs. If there was a reason, then that is a totally different story. I also don't care what size the dog is, big or small.. Random bitting is random bitting, & random bitting = a trip to the rainbow bridge.
    ***warning, non-popular opinion***If you comment on it, keep it CIVIL***
    What do you classify as a "random bitting dog"? The Collie that nipped a stranger? There could be a number of factors contributing to that situation, making it FAR FROM a "random bitting". Take into account that people herding is a very common issue with herding dogs. Also, that these dogs tend to be aloof if not fearful toward strangers. He could be a perfectly nice dog... who is definitely being poorly handled (if the girl even allowed him room to touch a stranger period), who might have been spooked by a stranger standing in between a car door.

The thing that really stands out to me is the fact that the dog didn't flip out, bark, growl, snarl, or lunge for the OP's face. He quietly nipped the back of her knee. That is classic herding behavior. That is totally unfair to the OP... and I completely feel for her. But to say a dog like that deserves to die? Many herding dogs cope with their stress/fear issues by herding. Gonzo does it. He hasn't made anyone bleed or left a mark, but if a stranger scares him and is moving irradically, he will nip at their feet. It's terrible that the OP bled, but to me a dog who will nip cowardicely is not even comparable to a dog who will take a chunk out of some one. ALL this dog really needs is to be properly controlled and desensitized to people walking by him, if he has the issues that it sounds like he has. I think it's arrogant and just plain inhuman to sentence a dog to death for being afraid and irresponsibly handled.

My point is, what may seem completely random to you, probably does have a good reason behind it and probably did come with a warning. There are a few dogs out there who aren't wired right, and a lot of dogs who are either badly bred or badly handled and trained or a combination of the two. I agree that a dog who bites unprovoked is dangerous; however, it sounds like this wasn't the first time he's done this, and that he's a fearful dog whose owners deal with it by muzzling him and don't even stop to check if the people he bites are ok. To me, this is an owner issue, not a dog issue.

As for what makes dogs bite... for me, it's about being as calm, predictable and non-threatening as possible. I work at a dog daycare and I have never been bitten. Everyone else has, even if it's just nips from herding dogs, who do that ALL THE TIME, perfectly friendly dogs who have trouble controlling their instinct. There's this one BC mix who has nipped everyone's butt repeatedly except for mine - everyone who steps into a playroom with her. I think I've just adjusted myself to moving in a non-livestock-like manner or something, with Gonzo. Gonzo has never herded me either. You can tell a lot from a dog's eyes. If they are staring at you like you're prey, or livestock, you need to do something to snap them out of it and/or be a completely unexciting statue. Body language is also huge. If a dog is tensing up, something needs to break that tension. I tend to "Shhh" (not in a Cesar Millan way), crouch down and turn my body sideways to a really stressed out dog. It calms them right down.
    Last edited by bckrazy; 05-08-2010 at 06:24 PM.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy View Post
    What do you classify as a "random bitting dog"? The Collie that nipped a stranger?
    I think you answered your own question. I'm talking about "bitting" NOT "nipping". BIG difference. So I wont respond to the rest of your post.

My chihuahua, Walter is insane. He will literally kiss me one minute and full on bite me the next. He is a puppy mill rescue and has mental issues from it. I know it's bad, but I don't do much about it. After the mill, we had several teeth removed and even if he gets you it's not that bad. Anyone that handles him, knows his ways and at 7 lbs, he's not too much of a threat.

So to answer your question about why they bite, I clearly have no clue!

Personally, I wouldn't let Walter get that close to a stanger if I thought he'd nip.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)