Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado weather question

Colorado weather question

I am going to be traveling to the Denver area mid to late April and I will need to rent a car and drive for an hour. I am just wondering if the snow is usually over by then. I see that there is a huge storm there now which makes me nervous...its pretty late in the year for a 20 inch snow storm

Any ideas, advice? Thanks.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Yes it is.. I would say by mid to late April you should be fine with no snow storms.. Now if you go up high into the mountains then maybe not..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I will be driving from Denver to Colorado Springs

I have been frosted!

While big dumps of snow aren't unheard of along the Front Range in April, they're not an annual occurrence. March is Colorado's snowiest month, but I wouldn't worry about a trip down I-25 in mid-late April.

Try to avoid morning and evening rush hours, though. I used to commute from Denver to CO Springs, and traffic can be a huge pain on both ends.

Our climate is actually pretty mild (though maybe not for a Southern Californian) but we do get late snow storms because of the weather that comes off the Rockies. The snow melts quickly enough. We got about 12" here and it's starting to melt already...I'm not crazy about it but we needed the moisture I guess.

We could have snow in April, but then again it could also be 80 degrees...you never know. It's a fast drive to Colorado Springs (about 1 hour 30 minutes or so) so I think you will be fine- plus you don't need to pass any mountains to get there! There is a lot to do around the AF Academy (I'm assuming you're going to visit the college?) so if you would like any suggestions on sight seeing I'd be happy to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Purrs View Post
    While big dumps of snow aren't unheard of along the Front Range in April, they're not an annual occurrence. March is Colorado's snowiest month, but I wouldn't worry about a trip down I-25 in mid-late April.

Try to avoid morning and evening rush hours, though. I used to commute from Denver to CO Springs, and traffic can be a huge pain on both ends.
    That part kind of scares me since we have to leave Colorado Springs at 4 and the last flight of the night will be 7:30, maybe I need to cut the visit short a bit and leave before 4?

I have been frosted!

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke_Corgi View Post
    Our climate is actually pretty mild (though maybe not for a Southern Californian) but we do get late snow storms because of the weather that comes off the Rockies. The snow melts quickly enough. We got about 12" here and it's starting to melt already...I'm not crazy about it but we needed the moisture I guess.

We could have snow in April, but then again it could also be 80 degrees...you never know. It's a fast drive to Colorado Springs (about 1 hour 30 minutes or so) so I think you will be fine- plus you don't need to pass any mountains to get there! There is a lot to do around the AF Academy (I'm assuming you're going to visit the college?) so if you would like any suggestions on sight seeing I'd be happy to help!

Yes my daughter has an orientation at the academy. She has been for a recruiting trip but this will be my first time, I am excited about seeing where she will spend the next 4 years. We also get to buy her boots for boot camp

I have been frosted!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    That part kind of scares me since we have to leave Colorado Springs at 4 and the last flight of the night will be 7:30, maybe I need to cut the visit short a bit and leave before 4?
    If you're leaving from the north end of the Springs (where the AF Academy is), you shouldn't have any trouble at that end. The bad traffic in the Springs is farther south. On the other hand, leaving the Springs at 4 will put you in the heart of rush hour once you get to Denver. Also, I'd allow at least two hours to get from the Springs to DIA regardless of traffic.

Ask the rental car people whether you can take E-470. It's a tollway, but it uses some complicated automatic billing system rather than cash tolls. You can take that from the far south end of the Denver metro area all the way to Pena Blvd. (the airport road). It should be much, much faster than I-225. Under no circumstances should you take I-25 all the way north to I-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Purrs View Post

Ask the rental car people whether you can take E-470.
    It's a tollway, but it uses some complicated automatic billing system
    rather than cash tolls.
    This IS a strange set-up! >>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-470

"Tolls & Fines
    The toll rate on E-470, roughly 31 cents per mile, is one of the highest rates
    of any toll road in the United States.[2][3] As of July 2009, there are six toll stations
    along the 47 mile route and the average toll to pass each is $2.50.[4]

The toll stations no longer accept cash.
    Cameras at each station photograph the rear license plate of each vehicle,
    and a bill is then sent to the registered owner.
    Failure to pay the bill on time results in additional fines and fees
    of $87.00 for each unpaid toll, a forty fold increase of the original amount. [5].
    Currently, the total bill for all six tolls and a missed payment comes out to a hefty $537.
    Out of State, first time violators may have success getting fines dropped
    by contacting E-470 Customer Service at: 1-888-946-3470, Option 2."

This is great info thanks I haven't reserved a car yet I will include that in my phone call.

I have been frosted!

I never had occasion to drive E-470 (I lived near the intersection of I-25 and I-70, so it wouldn't have helped my commute any), but I'm sure it would be much less congested at any time of day than either I-25 or I-225.

Enjoy your trip!

I can't find the e-470 on any maps but the rental car place assured me I can buy the toll pass from them when I get the car. I wasn't sure about the weather so I rented an SUV I could have gotten a sedan for half the price so when we get closer I may change that if I can.

Its a two day orientation so I may cut the second day short a bit to make up for any bad traffic we may run into.

I have been frosted!

I can't find the e-470 on any maps ...
    Try this >>>

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...N&hl=en&tab=wl

Thanks Phred, I was looking for it down by Colorado Springs, it looks like i need to connect from the 25 to the e470 to ease my way into Denver.

I have been frosted!

Thanks Phred, I was looking for it down by Colorado Springs, it looks like i need to connect from the 25 to the e470 to ease my way into Denver.
    That's right. It'll take you around Denver to the east, on a more direct route to the airport.