Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm being laid siege to by a cat! *UPDATE - taken*

I'm being laid siege to by a cat! *UPDATE - taken*

This pretty one. (The sun makes it look white but in ordinary light it is actually mostly a light orange colour)

I'd better start at the beginning, Saturday February 27th.

I let Bob out (on a leash) into the garden in the morning as usual and as he went straight to a planter in the corner up popped a cats head, the one in the picture above. It stayed there a while then went over the wall into Audrey's, a neighbour, yard. I kept check on it during the day and when it came to rain I took a old table around to Audrey's and put it where the cat was for some sort of shelter.

Didn't see it at all on the Sunday.

Monday dawned and there it was on top of Audrey's porch where it stayed all day and night. I thought perhaps it was sick and couldn't get down so I'd called the RSPCA earlier in the day and they told me it would have to be up there for 48hours before they could do anything. Meanwhile I called at the home where I'd been told it could belong several times over the weekend and Monday/Tuesday, but there was never anyone home.

I'd put food down for it, smelly food, but it never came down for it which reinforced my idea it was stuck, so as it was still there after the 48hrs had passed I called the RSPCA again. An officer came out, got up there, checked the cat out and then let it go. She said it wasn't injured, was well groomed and in her opinion it would find it's way home. I put a notice with a photo up in the village but no-one has been in touch as yet.

Saw it once or twice after that in the daytime but then one night, late, it turned up as I was out back with Bob. Put Bob in the house quick and put some food in a saucer for the cat, went out and waited around while it ate because there were a couple of other cats around which I thought may have been chasing it. They went and I went in the house leaving the cat finishing off the food.

Next time I heard it before I saw it, the meowing gradually getting louder the nearer it became. It had no fear of Bob, winding around the both of us. As I was trying to get Bob in the house the cat was also trying to get in. Again I took some food out but this time it wasn't interested wanting only to come back in with me. And that is how it has carried on ever since, now and again it will eat, mostly not.

I've tried all sorts of things to avoid it when letting Bob out at night. Turning the automatic lights off, being very, very quiet, but it always knows somehow. I even took Bob out the front garden last night, but it knew. The meowing coming closer and closer and me trying to get myself and Bob back in the house before it got here. It went around the back then and was meowing at my back door. At least when I took the food out it ate it this time.

I don't want another cat but even so if I had the room I would take it in or/and if I just had Bob, or just Ebby, but the way things are I cannot. I've made a little shelter thing out back but it hasn't used it as yet. It doesn't seem to want food that often either, I'm happy to put food down for it but it is a little annoying when it is left.

Taking to a shelter is not an option, firstly the local ones are all full and secondly I have no transport to go further afield. I will most likely get in touch with the RSPCA again after the holidays and see if they can come up with any suggestions.

It is both freaking me out and breaking my heart because I can do no more.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 04-14-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Can you attach a note to a collar on it, and see if it belongs to someone else? Then you could urge them to keep it inside ...
    I've Been Frosted

I ahve the same problem with the Porch Cats , especially if I have put something especially nice out for dinner!!!

Spunky Moose the Deuce has been in on cold and damp nights and the Earl of Ebony as well but I just cannot addd any New Found Cats!!
    But they are certainly not as persistant as your Wanna Be Cat Companion
    I do hope that she has a home somewhere and hasnt be abandoned.
    We are praying for that Dear Cat and You!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks Gary.

Karen, it hasn't got a collar on.

Does Ebby have a spare collar you might attach?
    I've Been Frosted

What a pretty cat! I hope (s)he has a forever home.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Does Ebby have a spare collar you might attach?
    Good idea Karen, I'll have a look if I can find one tomorrow.

He/she didn't wait for me to take Bob out tonight, was meowing by the back door, mind you it was late, after midnight.

Squeezed myself and Bob out the door and he/she came running over, a mite leery of Bob going toward him/her tonight though. The biggest problem with the situation is that I need Bob to do his business, as quickly as possible, yet keep the cat and he apart. I guess it's good job he has to be on a leash.
    Anyhow, he did and I took him back in, opened a pouch of food into a dish, took it out with me, picked up the poop and put it in the bin, put the dish of food down for the cat, left him/her tucking in and went back inside.

I noticed he/she has black marks along the fur, perhaps caused by he/she squeezing in and out of somewhere, a shed or the like.

This cat sure is gorgeous. He/she looks like a Flame Point Siamese to me and it sounds like this cat likes people and wants attention. Since it doesn't eat the food all of the time then I bet it does have a home or others are also feeding it. Hopefully some one does own it and you'll be able to find out where it lives. Good luck.

Flame point for sure- but the collar doesn't look Siamese.
    I wonder whether he/she is looking for a second home- I cannot believe it is feral......
    Good luck.

That cat knows a sucker when he/she sees one! Well, I hope the cat has another home somewhere around the area, but he/she seems to want to be with you. I know you can't take another cat in, though.

Good luck finding a solution!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    This cat sure is gorgeous. He/she looks like a Flame Point Siamese to me and it sounds like this cat likes people and wants attention. Since it doesn't eat the food all of the time then I bet it does have a home or others are also feeding it. Hopefully some one does own it and you'll be able to find out where it lives. Good luck.
    Exactly my thoughts. That cat is well fed and very social. It has a home, IMO.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

What a beautiful kitty that is! WOW! It is stunning!! I don't have room for another either but if something that beautiful showed up, I'd have to find some way to take it in until I could find it another home.

Make it a paper collar to put around it's neck with tape asking if this cat belongs to someone and put your phone number on it.. If no one responded, I'd start looking for rescue groups to see if one would take it and try to find it a home.. This one would go so fast!!! Also try putting a ad in the local paper, around here most "found pet" ads are free, put a ad on Craig's list and let them know you will ask for pictures of their cat if someone try's to claim it.. anyone who has a cat that beautiful, should have tons of pictures of it.

That baby needs a home and needs one fast! That is one of those one in a million beauties.. If I could have another it would be MINE!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Thanks for the comments and support everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    What a beautiful kitty that is! WOW! It is stunning!! I don't have room for another either but if something that beautiful showed up, I'd have to find some way to take it in until I could find it another home.

Make it a paper collar to put around it's neck with tape asking if this cat belongs to someone and put your phone number on it.. If no one responded, I'd start looking for rescue groups to see if one would take it and try to find it a home.. This one would go so fast!!! Also try putting a ad in the local paper, around here most "found pet" ads are free, put a ad on Craig's list and let them know you will ask for pictures of their cat if someone try's to claim it.. anyone who has a cat that beautiful, should have tons of pictures of it.

That baby needs a home and needs one fast! That is one of those one in a million beauties.. If I could have another it would be MINE!
    Thanks for the suggestions Laura.

As to taking it in, I guess we all have our own different ideas of what we can do in situations such as this. As I said, if I had a bigger place I wouldn't hesitate, in fact during the time I lived in my previous home I took in two cats and one dog for short times until I found them a place or owner.
    However living here is different. I have a living room with bedroom off, a short hall with a small kitchen and bathroom off. The outside doors both lead on to open spaces. Maybe if I didn't have my Bobby dog I would take a chance but as things are I don't think it would be fair on either him or my Ebby cat and far too stressful for me trying to keep the peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    Tracey, I'm not sure of the Siamese connection as It is a longer haired cat as perhaps you can see in this photo...

... but I'm no expert, are there long haired Siamese? Anyhow, under all that fur it feels a little thin to me, but then again my view could be skewed in that department because of my tubby Ebby.

It only ate just over a quarter of the food last night so, combined with it's fur looking cared for, I'm hoping you all are right about it having a home, or being fed by someone.

I'll try and get another photo tonight, although the flash is bound to distort hopefully I will capture another view its colouring and fur condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    That cat knows a sucker when he/she sees one! Well, I hope the cat has another home somewhere around the area, but he/she seems to want to be with you. I know you can't take another cat in, though.

Good luck finding a solution!
    I'd like to think the cat has taken to me but I don't think it is about me in particular. I think it is just because I am the only person around here who goes out into the garden each night.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Cats are rather clever if it comes to second homes with second meals. I remember here a kitty who came every evening in the garden and also badly wanted in (which nearly broke my heart)- but she also was too well groomed. I never found out where she belonged.
    So if kitty does not begin too look un-groomed I would not really worry.