Thread: Rats not allowed in Alberta

Rats not allowed in Alberta

Even pets...because if two ever get loose, Alberta will lose its rat-free status.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

Matilda the rat heading back to B.C.

Matilda will be heading to Vancouver to find a new family because it's illegal for her to live in Alberta.

Updated: Tue Apr. 13 2010 17:33:09

ctvcalgary.ca

A family who recently moved to Calgary from Vancouver unknowingly broke the law.

They brought their pet rat with them without realizing the rodents are illegal in Alberta.

"They thought if it's illegal to have in Alberta they should turn it in. And so they turned it in to us and it's a very domesticated pet rat," says Bill Bruce from Animal and Bylaw Services.

Matilda now sits on a desk locked in a sturdy cage at Animal Services.

She is awaiting her deportation to Vancouver where she will be handed over to a rat rescue society.

"We would normally euthanize a rat but, in this case, because it was a family pet and domesticated we had the ability to transport it – at no cost to the taxpayer – it was the humane choice," says Bruce.

A volunteer will drive Matilda to Vancouver and cover all the expenses. The pet rat will then be quarantined for 10 days before a new home is found for her.

In the meantime, the vet that is taking care of Matilda says she's been a good office mate. "They are very social and because they are so smart you can do little fun tricks with them, you can have more of a relationship with them," says Marta Alguacil, a veterinarian with Animal Servcies.

Alberta is the only province in Canada that bans rats as pets.

The fine for owning one can be as high as $5,000 dollars.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I doubt Alberta is actually rat-free. Wherever people migrated, rats came with them.
    I've Been Frosted

That is so sad. Shame the residents of Alberta miss out on the chance to own a most wonderful, intelligent and loving little creature.

It makes me angry that laws like this prevent the education of the general public on the incredible companions rats make, and how fascinating their psychology is. All this does is fuel their very unfair reputation of being nothing more than vermin.

I hope Matilda finds a good home, poor girl.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I doubt Alberta is actually rat-free. Wherever people migrated, rats came with them.
    Same thoughts. Only way it's rat free is if they can't survive there for some reason then the ban is pointless either way.

Apparently they are the most rat free place in the world. They have special authorities that watch out for wild rats and set traps to kill any that they do find. I know of a few people in Alberta with rats though. :/

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

Its easier to get away with than ferrets in California. Rats aren't allowed in parts of Alaska too, but the ban is only if they are colored. Apparently they think albino rats won't survive in the wild in Alaska? Baby himalayan's can be sold in Alaska pretty easily since they look albino. I don't get why they can't just spay/neuter.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

How sad.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.