Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irwin is home..I need some advice on possible euthanasia

Irwin is home..I need some advice on possible euthanasia

As you can see, he is NOT a happy camper!

We just got home, so that was expected.

Poor thing. I need some advice about something. They cleaned his bladder out, but the vet said, his bladder is about 5 to 7 times thicker then it should be, a result of his FLUTD. We are going to manage his discomfort with pain meds, other then that, Im not sure what we can do. I hope now he is at least a little more comfortable then before because the stones are gone.

Prior to this he was urinating out tiny stones that looked like glass.

My question is, is it cruel to make him live like this? We have no way of knowing how much discomfort he is in. Should I consider euthanizing him because of the thickness of his bladder? From the way my vet described it, we may need to regulate his discomfort forever or maybe only when he shows discomfort.

My problem is, Irwin is not even 6 yet, he will be 6 in June, and other then these flare ups of blood in the urine or straining to pee, he is the sweetest cat ever. He is always purring, rubbing on me, kissing me, he has his little furry mouse he walks around the house with....he loves to play and be silly, so its difficult for me to make a decision like that, when I do not see a sickly cat. Its not like he sits around wanting to die.

And if he needed to be on something, for the rest of his life, I could financially deal with that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I know you guys will understand.

I would be inclined to give Irwin some more time at 6 years young
    Is Irwin in a lot of pain where hes scraeming when he eliminates?
    They are making such advances in Vet Technonology , I would get another opinion if you feel that this Vet isnt helping.
    We are doubling Our Prayers for Incredible Irwin so he can beat this disease
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    I would be inclined to give Irwin some more time at 6 years young
    Is Irwin in a lot of pain where hes scraeming when he eliminates?
    They are making such advances in Vet Technonology , I would get another opinion if you feel that this Vet isnt helping.
    We are doubling Our Prayers for Incredible Irwin so he can beat this disease
    Only when he was passing the stones, but the stones are gone now, they went in and flushed him all out.

Basically the stones aggravate his urethra, and his urethra will become inflamed and then I'll catch him peeing blood in the sink.

The stones are gone now, but I don't know what a "thickened bladder wall" means in terms of discomfort.

I used to live in NYC, and he was treated there by at least 10 vets including at the animal medical center. And now here we've been to 3 with him and I really like this vet. Irwins had countless urinalysis, x rays, ultrasounds, prescription diets, anti-inflammatories, etc. I must've spent at least $10,000 in the last 5 years.

What we did was, we went in and cleaned him out and now we are "starting over" with him, on a different prescription diet, no stones. But there is nothing they can do for a thickened bladder, its just something that happens with the FLUTD. She said the vessels that lead to the bladder are also engorged, but his kidneys functions came back fine.

I would wait and see how Poor Irwin does with his New Medications.
    It is a sad thing that some of Our Cats have to be Angels so early in life
    We will have Irwin in Our Thughts and Prayers Tonight.
    Hes such a WonderCat
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I agree with Gary. Take a wait and see approach, as long as he's not in any pain. Sometimes cats can live long lives with certain conditions (MooShoo lived almost 11 years with a bloodclot). Certain conditions can also be corrected or maintained with different kinds of food. Ask your vet.

If and when the time comes that you have to make that very difficult decision, make it with your head, not your heart. Also take into consideration what his quality of life will be if you try to keep on sustaining him.

I had to do that with my RB Mollie Rose. She was my very first cat and was 16 when I had to make the decision. She had severe kidney disease and had lost 4 pounds in less than a year. I noticed how skinny she was. Then one day she was laying at the water fountain yowling. I ran her to the vet and they kept her overnight, and did tests. He told me there really weren't many options unless I wanted to spend $1,000 for an ultrasound. I would've sold my soul if it would've made her whole, happy and healthy. But it would not. I came to the realization it was time. She lived a wonderful, pampered 16 years and got me through so many difficulties and tragedies in my life. I will never forget her.

I also believe that no animal should die alone. So, while the vet gave her the injection, I petted her, telling her I loved her with all my heart, and to go to the RB and be happy. LES right now.

You and Irwin will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Donna you got me crying too. I went through a similar thing with Taz.

I agree with Donna and Gary. It sounds like Irwin is doing well right now since the stones are gone. I would try the medication and food and see how that goes for him.

I remember when Taz was very sick and all my PT family kept telling me "you'll know when it's time". I didn't want to face that fact AT ALL. But the last time he went to the vet she said "I would not try to stop you if you want to let him go today". Well of course I didn't WANT to. But she said there was basically nothing left to do for him. I'd done the fluids for a few weeks with no results. It was time even though I didn't want it to be. I also stayed with him while he went. Oh man, all those emotions are rushing back to me right now.

Irwin is sooo young, I hope he has a few (if not more) years left with you. And you should know when he's had enough.

Good luck! And I'll keep Irwin in my thoughts.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Major LES here.
    Having gone thru this very painfully and very recently, I completely agree with everyone here. Irwin will tell you when he's done. Don't start packing his bags yet! They can really be miracles and when he's done, he will absolutely tell you so. Hobbes did and no amount of money I wished I could throw at teh problem was going to make him whole again.
    I think Irwin has alot of living to do yet. You are an excellent meowmie!
    Claudia & Calvin

I don't think UTIs and stones in a younger kitty are USUALLY causes for euthanasia. If you choose the food and kitty treats wisely, and make sure he gets lots of fluids (adding warm water to mush up some wet food a bit helps), then handsome Irwin should be with you for many years to some.

Shortly after I got my tabby Oscar a few years ago, he developed a nasty cystitis. There weren't many crystals - and those that were there were gone in a week with a change in diet. However, there was blood in his urine up to a month later.

In addition to changing his food, my vet said I could use the powder from a cranberry capsule. About 50 mg - or 1/5 of a capsule, as I eyeballed it - went into a small amount of totally plain unflavoured low fat yogurt. Oscar loved that stuff, and got the cranberry in with it. It was to be used for about a month. (You can ask your vet about this).

Hugs to you and to Irwin, and I am sure you will be able to maintain his new health for a very long time.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    I don't think UTIs and stones in a younger kitty are USUALLY causes for euthanasia. If you choose the food and kitty treats wisely, and make sure he gets lots of fluids (adding warm water to mush up some wet food a bit helps), then handsome Irwin should be with you for many years to some.

Shortly after I got my tabby Oscar a few years ago, he developed a nasty cystitis. There weren't many crystals - and those that were there were gone in a week with a change in diet. However, there was blood in his urine up to a month later.

In addition to changing his food, my vet said I could use the powder from a cranberry capsule. About 50 mg - or 1/5 of a capsule, as I eyeballed it - went into a small amount of totally plain unflavoured low fat yogurt. Oscar loved that stuff, and got the cranberry in with it. It was to be used for about a month. (You can ask your vet about this).

Hugs to you and to Irwin, and I am sure you will be able to maintain his new health for a very long time.

Its not stones and UTI's unfortunately, its Feline Lower Urinary Tract disease, and what its done to his bladder. The bladder wall is 5 to 7 times thicker then it should be, which makes Irwin feel like he needs to urinate all day, he empties his bladder and then goes back to the litter another 7 times.

He's spent the majority of the day in the cat litter and hes already on pain meds.

I wish it was stones and UTI's. Infections can be treated and stones can be removed. Unfortunately, this sucks.

He's been on prescription diets since he was 2, it hasn't helped.

If this is gonna be his life, I dont know what to do, its not right to let him live his life in a cat litter box.

What meds is he on?

I don't know if this helps a thickened bladder wall, but a number of cats are put on amitryptiline to relax the bladder muscle. Maybe ask your vet if that would help Irwin?

I'm so sorry to hear how ill Irwin has been...hopefully he will even out in the next several days. I would guess his bladder is more sensitive than usual.

{{{hugs}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm a firm believer that raw foods solve most digestive issues in dogs & cats. Cats & Dogs were never meant to digest cooked foods, well not in large amounts like many people feed them. Try a raw diet to see how he does

http://www.healthypetjournal.com/def...px?tabid=20622

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    What meds is he on?

I don't know if this helps a thickened bladder wall, but a number of cats are put on amitryptiline to relax the bladder muscle. Maybe ask your vet if that would help Irwin?

I'm so sorry to hear how ill Irwin has been...hopefully he will even out in the next several days. I would guess his bladder is more sensitive than usual.

{{{hugs}}}
    My Ming suffered chronic blockages until I put him on amitryptiline over a year ago. He has had not one bladder infection or blockage since! I also give him plenty of water in his canned food, feed him Purina One for Urinary Tract Problems, and feed him NO FISH FLAVORED CAT FOOD! He's doing great and there is no reason to put him down.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I'm sorry to hear that Irwin's bladder walls have become thickened. Hopefully he's feeling better since his bladder stones have been removed. I'd also wait and see what happens and hopefully he'll be with you for quite a while yet. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

I typed in meds for the thickening of the bladder in cats and I came across this: http://cat-bladder-problems.com/blog...er-thickening/.

I've also heard and read this:
    Cosequin and Feline Urinary Diseases:
    Cosequin glucosamine and chondroitin joint supplements have been found to improve urinary bladder health in cats by producing a protective coating on the inside of the bladder wall.

Catty1,

I would NOT recommend Amitryptiline. My vet told me that while it's approved for dogs, it is not approved for cats as it makes them irritable and lethargic. I know because I tried it (years ago) on RB Casey. That was the exact result I got. He was being tormented by one of my other cats, Tucker, who I rehomed. He's living the life of Riley with my friends in a 3 story victorian house. I have visitation. He's wonderful.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

See if you can find The Whole Pet Diet, by Andi Brown, at your library. Take a look, buy it if you think it will help you. I bought it for $3 plus shipping on Amazon.com

Like someone said above, diet can cure so much!

And although he is currently in the litter box a lot, ALSO:

he is the sweetest cat ever. He is always purring, rubbing on me, kissing me, he has his little furry mouse he walks around the house with....he loves to play and be silly, so its difficult for me to make a decision like that, when I do not see a sickly cat. Its not like he sits around wanting to die.

Does not sound like he is checking out as yet. You AND THE VET just need to find a way for him to feel more comfortable.

Best wishes!