Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dilema should I rehome Star?

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    While I appreciate it, I wish people would stop trying to make excuses for my opinions.

The opinions are mine and I'm not budging one iota.

When I posted what I did, it was just after returning from my friend's house (also an animal advocate). She was on her way home and saw a beautiful orange boy DEAD ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. Some a-hole hit him and left him like yesterday's trash. We all chipped in and had him respectfully cremated. It's what he deserved. At one time he was someone's pet, just like Star is to you.

And why is it (and don't tell me it doesn't happen alot) that when the miracle of pregnancy comes around, the beloved pet becomes disposable???

Someone has to stand up for the animals. I'm a diehard animal person and will not apologize for the way I feel. Oh, and I also suffer from depression and PTSD.

If you live anywhere near CT, let me know. Maybe I can help you find a home for Star.
    I am really sorry you had to see that pour orange boy out on the streets and its very sweet and caring of you to cremate him. It makes me sad too seeing ANY animal on the road dead.

I am not sure if you have an issue with pregnant people but the life that is growing inside of me, is precious and I look forward to her arrival. I am not one of those kind of people that disposes my pets when a baby arrives. Like I had mentioned earlier, I am keeping Star, she's an indoor/outdoor cat because that is what makes her happiest, I live in a very safe place, and I am always checking on her. If it does come down to it, my Mom, who is also an animal lover especially cats, will take care of her for me. Star is not in any danger what so ever, I promise you that.

I do have to hand it to you, you are passionate about animals. So am I, just not the same opinions as you and thats ok, we are free to have our opinions.
    There is no such thing as failure, just learning experiences.

What happened to your other cat, Brat?

I am glad you found something that seems like it will work. With your husband having another issue while at work, it really seems unlikely that it is Star.
    With the both of you having asthma (that is how I understood it) your child will prolly have it to. I believe, as someone else posted, MORE exposure to things from an early age can be helpful in not developing allergies. I am not saying that allergies and asthma are the same, but, they seem to go hand in hand with one another. I don't know a person that has asthma that doesn't have allergies..though I do know people with allergies that don't have asthma.

What ever you do/did, I hope it works.

StarandBratsmom,

So we'll agree to disagree and still be friends.. That what happens here. Everyone has their own opinions on different subjects.

My only concern with Star being outside are predators. But as long as she's indoors at night, she should be safe. And I was very serious about finding Star a home if that's what you decide.

It's very easy to introduce a newborn to Star. You just have to do it in a gradual way. Before the baby comes home, take a baby blanket and rub the baby's head with it. Bring it home and let Star sniff it. When you bring the baby home, have hubby carry the infant in while to pamper over Star. If you don't want Star in the baby's room, close the door and get one of those baby monitors.

I hope things work out for you. I'd definitely have hubby tested for allergies. It may be as simple as dust in your house. But you'll never know till you test for it.

I do not have anything against pregnant women. I was one myself MANY years ago. But I read about pregnant women who read crap about sucking the air out of the baby, etc., all wive's tails. I also know the hormonal mood swings. Fun, huh??

I wish you luck and please keep me posted. If there is anything I can do on my end, if it comes down to finding Star a new home, please let me know. I have alot of contacts. I'm glad your mom offered to take her IF there's a problem. Try to relax and concentrate on that precious cargo you've got. Who knows?? Maybe the baby and Star will be the best of buds once they get used to each other.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I still have Brat but he's at my uncle's house. My uncle is way attached to him, so I let Brat go there since he's not really fond of Star. He's a fat, happy, healthy, spoiled rascal. :-)

Moosmom,

Thank you saying you'd help if I needed to rehome Star. I appreciate that. I have heard things about babies being suffocated, but since I know better, I don't believe it, especially when I will be watching my baby like a hawk. It's crazy how people are so quick to talk bad about cats when you hear more dog attacking kids on the news.
    There is no such thing as failure, just learning experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I am not saying that allergies and asthma are the same, but, they seem to go hand in hand with one another. I don't know a person that has asthma that doesn't have allergies..though I do know people with allergies that don't have asthma.

What ever you do/did, I hope it works.
    Both asthma, and allergies are the body's own immune system reacting inappropriately in response to things, so they are closely linked. And it is genetic, in recent years scientists have begun to agree with that - something I have known all along!
    I've Been Frosted

My sister is expecting in Sept & she has 3 cats. They are moving into a 2bdr apt very soon & the 2nd room will be for humans only. All cats will be banned from that room. The only change that is going to happen is that Pluto will be declawed. He is a bit sketchy & my sister has been wanting it done before she knew about the baby, as he doesn't understand that clawing humans is a bad thing. He'll be banned from the baby 100%. The other 2 will be just fine & will be welcomed near the baby.

My sister also know that babies are sensitive to things touching their skin, so the kitties wont be allowed to touch the baby until its older to prevent skin itchies.

My sister uses a painters mask & thick rubber gloves to deal with the litter box once in a while (her b/f is good at cleaning it, but sometimes its extra stinky so it needs to be done randomly). Once shes done she goes straight into the kitchen to scrub her hands very well.

***my not so friendly opinion, read with caution***

The kitties are all indoors, as the outdoors kills thousands of cats & many get worms, ticks, & fleas ewwww... oh not to mention cat fights, scars, ripped ears, eye loss, attacked by dogs, kicked, thrown, oh & these two are my fav from back home... poisoned & nailed to trees alive!! Just what kitty always wanted!!

One lady moved into the neighbourhood & had several cats that had babies.. there were DOZEN of cats running around the neighbourhood tormenting everyone. Cause cat poop in your yard is so awesome!!! Oh & all the dead birds at the bird feeder was great too!! Just what everyone always wanted!!

One month later there were about 6 cats left. The other were all killed. Some were thrown into tubs of water to drown, a couple were eaten by the neighbours dogs, many were splattered all over the road, & so many of them were dead all over her yard from being poisoned.

Sometimes people need to rethink how they treat their cats. Sure kitty is happy outside playing in the grass, but how do you think kitty feels being nailed to trees, looses an eye, or gets poisoned? Highly doubt kitty thinks thats any fun. Also think about how the neighbours think with having all the little birds ripped to shreds on their lawns feel, or stepping in cat poop on their lawn?

Cats don't know whats best for them in a human society, but humans do.

Cam (my almost 1yr old cat) enjoys being outside in the yard, on her LEASH! Shes comes outside with Digi (dog) & I from time to time, to enjoy the grass & sun. My friend has a tie out in her back yard for her cat. Both our cats wear a Harness. Cam is never alone outside & neither is her cat. She puts her dog out at the same time to watch the cat (mostly to ensure a stray dog or cat doesn't get into the yard, cause he'll chase it off). She checks on the cat often to make sure he is ok (just like people do with their dogs).

I HATE (strong word, but I mean it) loose cats.
    This is my opinion & I stand very firm on the subject.

Gosh, king, I sure hope you can talk some sense into your sister with the declawing of her cat! The cat will likely stay far away from a baby as it will make sudden and startlingly noises. No need to declaw it!! Is she planning on removing all the cats teeth, too, in case they bite?

well King you had better never come to New Zealand, and yes i have to agree with Johanna,i think declawing is absolutely barbaric,and it is illegal here, i hope she rethinks her decision.,like you I am firm with my opinion on that subject.
    Last edited by carole; 04-11-2010 at 03:16 PM.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Gosh, king, I sure hope you can talk some sense into your sister with the declawing of her cat! The cat will likely stay far away from a baby as it will make sudden and startlingly noises. No need to declaw it!! Is she planning on removing all the cats teeth, too, in case they bite?
    The cat has mental issues, & he spazzes out randomly with just the claws. One attack nearly sent my sister to the hospital for stitches, it was THAT bad. We are both very much against declawing (why we've put it off for so long), but this cat has major mental issues & the vets have no idea whats wrong with him. So Declawing him is for everyones safety, including the other cats, as he has randomly spazzed out on them & sent them to the vets. Hes a good cat & a cuddle bug, but it takes 1 second for him to be a totally different animal. Thats why it's only HIM & not the other 2. Sure my sister & others have been nicked by the other cats, but they are mentally stable.

Before my sister got Pluto he was in & out of the shelter for his spazzes. He would have been put down long ago if it wasn't for my sister taking him in & trying to deal with his crazy spazzes. He is a lot better then he was, but he is still very much dangerous (not his fault).

I've had to deal with him when he was spazzing out & it was scary & hard. I didn't want to hurt him, but he was totally out of his mind. I tried pushing him away, then it was gentle tosses. After I could get him to snap out of it I scuffed him hard & tossed him onto my sister's bed & closed the door, he tried to go through the door. he was crazy mad for no reason.

Trust me, neither of us want to do this to him, but its better then the alternative (if he goes back to the shelter he has a death sentence waiting for him, & no one out there wants him, her friends don't even want him, they watch him like a hawk when they visit).

Neither option is good, but at least this one will allow him to be alive.

ok well you do have special circumstances here,have you explored every other alternative though, like meds etc.

I guess it must be very hard to go ahead and do this when you are against it yourselves, so i do understand,thanks for explaining the situation further.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    ok well you do have special circumstances here,have you explored every other alternative though, like meds etc.

I guess it must be very hard to go ahead and do this when you are against it yourselves, so i do understand,thanks for explaining the situation further.
    Shes had him for 3yrs & we've been putting it off for that long cause we just couldn't do that to him, but with the baby on the way... its not an easy decision by far.

He's been in & out of the vets office (several different vets) since before she got him. They've tried many things & nothing seems to work, or they make him so ill he can't move (far more cruel then declawing him IMO). We all love him, he IS family so he wont be going anywhere, but the declawing has to happen now. I told her to get it done before the move & LONG before the baby is due so he doesn't associate those things with the operation. It should be done within the month, but she wants to research more on how to keep it clean & to ensure it gets done the best way possible.

oh, she has a really good vet, so it wont be done in the back alley sort of operation. This is the only vet that understands Spliff's vet issues (she was horribly abused by a vet several yrs ago, my sister is still traumatized by it too, & I still want to hunt him down). Spliff seeks comfort with dogs, as she use to run to my old dog for comfort when scared & he would protect her. So when Spliff goes to the vet they bring her to the dog room & do everything with the dogs barking at her. She calms right down & lets the vets touch her & she doesn't pee in fear, nor does she attack anyone (she was gentle as a mouse before she was abused). When she has to stay for the day, shes in a kennel in the dog room. My sister is also banned from being in the same room as Spliff at the vets cause she saw the abuse & the second Spliff meows or cowers my sister cries uncontrollably & shakes like a leaf.

My sister loves those cats just like children, if not more then many parents I've seen.

King2005,

Your story reminded me of when I was helping foster a Siamese cat (older) for the MI Meezer Rescue. When I tell you this cat had ME cornered, I'm not kidding. She would not let me anywhere near the door to get out. I finally distracted her long enough to get to the other door before she came after me, so I know what you're talking about.

Meezer Rescue took her back and put her in another foster home. They renamed her Sybil. Gee, I wonder why??

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

King- I knew one person that had nearly the same description of the cat as with your sister's. It was horrific, and she was beside herself with what to do. I think she finally had him PTS, rightfully or wrongfully, it wasn't my position to judge, as I had never experienced what she had.

So, my thoughts are with you and your sister. Sometimes....sometimes...you have to look at the whole picture. My best to you guys with this.