Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My big, BIG news of the year

My big, BIG news of the year

I'M GOING TO BE A ROYAL VET!!!!!

I received my offer for the BSc(Hons) & BVetMed Combined Degree programme from the University of London's Royal Veterinary College yesterday. It is the oldest and most prestigious veterinary institution in the country, and ranks among the best veterinary universities in the world. And I can't believe I've got in!!!

After the hardship of my Cambridge rejection, I began to doubt I'd be happy at another university. I was very grateful for the offer I received a week later from Glasgow University, but when I was there, something just didn't feel quite right for me. Sure, the people were friendly, and the newly built small animal hospital was incredibly impressive, but in my gut, I wasn't sure it was somewhere I wanted to spend 5 years of my life.

Fast-forward to February, I received an unexpected straight-out rejection from Edinburgh University. Even though I didn't rank it above Glasgow, it was a serious blow to my confidence, particularly after I inquired about the rejection, and I was told my application simply did not cut the mustard. I value modesty, but it doesn't wash with me that 180 other applicants had more than 11 A*s at GCSE, and 5 As at AS level, with top predictions for A2 level, and 3 years worth of work experience. Plus, how could I merit a Cambridge interview, and not an Edinburgh one? So I'm not quite sure what happened there.

By this time, I was feeling incredibly sick of universities and all the stress of applying for what is the hardest degree course to get onto over here. So many people I spoke to said I should thank my lucky stars that Glasgow wanted me, for this year more than ever, there will be candidates who get 4 rejections and no offers at all. But no matter how hard I tried to feel good about it, I just knew it was not where I wanted to end up.

By mid-February, I was called to interview at the Royal Vet College. It was, in all honesty, a choice I'd put down mainly because I'd taken the entrance exam (which Cambridge also use), and they were one of the few universities that offered a vet degree with an intercalated year of scientific study, which I'm more keen to do. I missed the Open Day last year, and so had never actually been inside either of the campuses. I went purely off the information in the prospectus when putting it down as a choice. And, if I am perfectly honest, at the time I believed I had a better chance of getting into Cambridge than the Royal Veterinary College, as I knew that not only were they very strict on academic ability, but also wanted candidates with extensive work experience at exceptional placements. I had also heard that they were more keen on making offers to gap year students, as they already had their A level results.

Before my interview, I had a tour of the Hawkshead campus, which is their rural sector, where farm animals are kept and most of the clinical years take place there. 5 minutes in, and I was in LOVE.

The place clicked for me right away. The site is gigantic, with the most amazing facilities. The practical rooms, small animal theatre and various offices devoted to various studies, such as tropical disease, put Cambridge to shame. The giant lecture theatre, with large animal dissection area (complete with crane for lifting elephant/rhino/whatever-else-we-happen-to-get corpses into the building - larvely ) was mindblowing. I got on with all the people there, and just walking around made me feel like a vet. Suddenly I did not feel at a loss about Cambridge at all.

My interview... was rough, rough, rough. I was quizzed on my knowledge of bluetongue and foot and mouth disease, the structure and function of viruses, genetics, my perspective of a vet's role in the food standard's agency, and my stance on animal testing. I felt I gave good answers, but fell prey to the inevitable demons of the mind that convince you that you could have said something better! Not one of my interviewers smiled during the interview, as had been the case at Glasgow, and I became pretty adamant that they didn't rate me.

I was considering taking the year out to reapply to the RVC, as I made the decision that I could never be truly happy at Glasgow knowing there was a place I knew in my heart was right for me. I was dreading making such a risky decision, and in a way, it felt like admitting defeat after 7 years of hard work, and 15 years of desperately wanting to be a vet student.

But after such a long and strenuous ordeal, I was sent a notification the the RVC had made me an offer of 3 As at A level, and I was (and still am!) ecstatic. I cannot believe I am going, or that I managed to get into such a top establishment. I have been reading in student publications lately that in fact, many Cambridge vet applicants chose the RVC over Cambridge, and I truly now believe I would have done the same. I wanted Cambridge because of the name and the kudos. I realise that I want London because I'll be happy, have a great time, and start a blossoming career.

My best friend has recieved an offer from the Slade School of Fine Art, the top art school in the country, and it is also a 5 minute bus ride away from the RVC Camden campus, where I'll be spending most of my first 3 years.

Sorry for such a long post! And thank you for the PT support I've had throughout my application. It is very much appreciated. I can now be happy that 3 years worth of infrequent PT visits due to commitment to work has paid off.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Wow! This news makes my heart skip a beat or two for you! How exciting! Congratulations, Miss Z, and best, BEST wishes for your future!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Zara,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That is wonderful news! They certainly know a good thing when they see one. I only wish I lived closer so you could be my vet.

Great job, girl!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I saw this on Facebook but had no idea how much it meant! Good for you!! I am so happy for you. As Donna said, I wish you lived closer. I'd definitely be brining my animals to you!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Congratulations! I know that great success is ahead for you. Enjoy every minute of your training. This certainly is BIG news!

The other school rejected you because THIS one was better for you.. A higher power is at work watching over YOU!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Congratulations, Zara! I'm so excited for you!
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Yay! Congratulations, we are all soooo very proud of you! And to think, they never even called me for a reference!
    I've Been Frosted

I am not at all surprised! Congratulations I know you could do it!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Congratulations! What a wonderful accomplishment. You're going to be an amazing vet!

Congratulations! Your stars really aligned for this; you worked hard!!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Congrats Girl! You definitely deserve this

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I already saw this on Facebook, but I must say again, I am so happy for you!! CONGRATULATIONS, ZARA!! Screw the other schools, you got the best one, and the one obviously meant for you. You're going to be the best vet in the world, I just know it.

Congratulations, sounds like the hard work did pay off. You sounded so ecstatic in your post that I truly enjoyed reading it. Good luck...you're on the way to your dream.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

So Exciting!! Congratulations!