Thread: New from Eastern Long Island

New from Eastern Long Island

Hello all.
    We have been searching for information about a dog we lost 15 months ago and came across this community. Looks quite impressive and informative.
    We've still got 4 GSD's, a crazy male and his three daughters from three separate litters, but having trouble filling the void left by our Tiki, short for Tequila, who was with us 24/7/365 x 8 years, no matter what.
    Looking forward to reading and hopefully contributing something worthwhile.
    Would like to put up some photos of Tiki, when we learn how to do it, in the hopes that someone may have seen a dog just like him somewhere.
    Many different opinions from our vets and people that knew or have seen pics of him.
    Definitely a mix but pretty sure based on intelligence, loyalty, herding capabilities, extra keen senses etc....... he was part Dingo, part Shep and the rest we're uncertain of but have a few possibilities.
    He weighed in between 50 and 70 lbs, had a great build, dark muzzle and dark in the tail, a kind of ginger colored coat, had E.S.P. and amazing sight and hearing.
    Of the 4 GSD's, the male at we think 10 years is a tough one, brutally abused before we rescued him and is now fabulous with the 2 of us, ONLY, to this day. He is very defensive and protective around anything else, to the point of being a liability at times, but we've managed to work around the difficulties.
    The girls are 7, 6 and almost 5, all tanks and all mushes with an edge when they have to have one. The 5 year old, Lily, managed to do what none had been able to accomplish, tame The Male, which she has done quite well.
    Sam, the male, and Lily, are the inside dogs and Rose and Corona are pampered outside dogs, with a heated 4 x 8 custom doghouse in the winter.

Welcome to Pet Talk!
    I've Been Frosted

Welcome TequilaBK949, I think you will enjoy Pet Talk and all the Great pet people that are a part of this world wide community. I am Bill and have a dog Koko and two cats Kallie and Rascal.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Hi - and welcome to PT. I hope you'll be a regular here, and would love to see pics of your crew when you master the art of posting them!

I'm Ellie, I'm retired and live in Delaware, but was born and raised in RI. I'm owned by 2 little lap dogs - Myndi, my girl, is a Pom and is 14 years old, and Sparky, my boy, is a Shih Tzu and is 11 years old.

We're so sorry to her that you lost your dog Tiki, but there is always hope that somehow he will find his way back to you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Welcome to PT! Have you figured out the pictures yet? Need any help?

Looking forward to seeing your crew!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Hello to everyone and thanks for the warm welcome.
    Haven't mastered the photos yet, but I'll try now.

OK here's what I ended up with. Hope they worked. All of Tiki for now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ModifiedP8270015.JPG 
Views:	270 
Size:	872.6 KB 
ID:	45192

Name:	P9070006.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	45193

Name:	P9040467.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	45194

Name:	P8180223.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	45195

Name:	P8130108.JPG 
Views:	270 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	45196

( Just hit preview and it looks like they are there )

Tiki was Type 1, barely regulated Diabetic with a large kidney tumor that couldn't come out until he was totally regulated. Almost died once and went blind. Was in critical care for a week and he survived, then regained his sight.
    I'll never forget how happy he was to SEE us when we finally got to pick him up.

Radiologist at the hospital missed a problem in the lungs.

A month before he passed we noticed changes. Almost two weeks to the day he died the diagnosis came in that his cancer had metastasized to the lungs. This after trying so hard, for so long to save him.
    The day before he died one of the vet's was pushing to put him down, citing weight loss etc...., things we already knew. We explained to a deaf professional ear that he was not ready on that day. She was not amused and fought us.
    I ended the conversation saying that when he decided that it was his time,, a good day to die,, then it would be done,, by his choice,, or if necessary by ours.
    He died the next morning after jumping into his truck,,, the morning that we were going to the vet to put him down. He had made his decision before we woke up that morning, and as it turned out,, we interrupted him !

There was no way he was going to die any other way than his own so we suppose he went to Plan B.

Neither of us ever recovered from the loss, even with our other dogs here.
    Tiki was a 24/7 x 365 family member. We still actively search the world looking for a Tiki relative.

Will check back in later today to see if we messed up or not. Just realized how late it is.
    Thanks again to all.

Looks like I figured the attachments out

Thanks again to all. Glad to have found this place.

Welcome to Pet Talk & Enjoy All of the Talks & Pics.. Your babies are so Adorable..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>