Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cats n car rides?

cats n car rides?

im thinking i want to bring my cat on a 19hr ride to fla from nj. anyone done this? i dont know which is better, home and alone or with us in another place. any idea please respond. hes a yr old. did a trial 2hr run and he was fine. ill have his litter food water bed and all in the car for his comfort, i wont be as happy as him lol.
    Meeya and Binks

If you could train him to walk an a leash so he could have some excercise on the way, I think it would be okay. Neither of mine likes to ride in the car at all, so I could not do this. If your cat likes riding in the car, and I know a few who do, why not?
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Get him used to it, with a car ride for a least a few minutes every day. Any quick errand, take him, and soon he'll be riding like a pro.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Years ago when we had a travel trailer and used to go camping, we went from here in De, to NH (about 10 hrs), with 2 kids, 2 cats and a dog. The cats loved it and enjoyed their 2 week camping trip immensely! They were never any problem, and made themselves right at home in the trailer, and traveled well in the car too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Most of My Found Cats are all right on the 15 or so mile car trip to Dr Marsales.
    Its just Joseph who throws up or poos himself , and hates car rides totally!!!
    Poor Old Joseph.
    I have to have wet cloths ready for his return!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

What happens when you get there? Are you visiting for a period of time? I have always found it is better to leave the pets at home where they have their familiar surroundings. He will be most likely happier and very happy when you return.

we are going to be there for about a week.
    Meeya and Binks

if he was cool with the 2hr car ride, I'm sure he'll be just fine for the 19hr one

What I did with Cam, is that I harness & leash trained her. From time to time I tie her up in the house on a really short leash (2') for an hour or two. Shes always in the same room as me, but shes kinda stuck there. My goal was to get her use to not being able to move much, so when we go on road trips, she wont freak out when I tie her down (kitty seatbelt).

I found if I have Digi sitting in the bottom 1/2 of her travel crate, she does MUCH better on road trips. So I'll be doing the same for Cam. She'll get the other 1/2 of the travel kennel to lay in, with a comfy blanket of course

This summer I just have to get Cam use to the car lol
    Its been a long time since shes been in it, but she was fine with it then..

If you do decide to take you baby on the trip, DO take him for rides ahead to make sure he is comfortable riding in a car. Make sure he is micro chipped before taking him on the road so if he gets lost you will have a better change of getting him back.

BUT, he would be fine at home for no longer than you will be gone. I leave mine for 28 days at a time while I am working with my daughter coming over to check on them every day or so. I have 4 and it works for me and them. Other people I work with do the same with theirs with someone only stopping in to check on them.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

if you're only gonna be gone a week, I'd leave him at home

Difficult to say. If your kitty stresses when you're gone, it might be better to take him w/you as long as you get him used to riding in the car beforehand. If he does ok when you're gone, as long as you have someone you trust to feed/water him and care for him, perhaps you can leave him at home.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

When we go away we have a catsitter come in twice a day; we're usually gone up to 10 days. Personally, I think it would be very stressful for a kitty to go 19 hours in a car, then a week in a strange environment, then 19 hours back. Just my opinion...
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    When we go away we have a catsitter come in twice a day; we're usually gone up to 10 days. Personally, I think it would be very stressful for a kitty to go 19 hours in a car, then a week in a strange environment, then 19 hours back. Just my opinion...
    I agree with you. Most cats do not seem to like change in their life. Also, you would probably have a more enjoyable time leaving him at home.

thats where the prob comes in however. i dont have anyone to come over for a week to feed him. my friends r flaky and i worry when im gone they wont show up. my cat also sleeps with me at night and well follows me everywhere. crys when i walk out the door even when my bf is home.
    Meeya and Binks

Quote Originally Posted by monkaz82 View Post
    thats where the prob comes in however. i dont have anyone to come over for a week to feed him. my friends r flaky and i worry when im gone they wont show up. my cat also sleeps with me at night and well follows me everywhere. crys when i walk out the door even when my bf is home.
    Had you said that to begin with, our responses would probably have been different. Then, of course take him w/you. You can't leave him for a week w/no one to feed or care for him. What if he becomes sick while you're gone and no one is there to take him to the vet or to handle it?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11