Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amy

Amy

I am so worried about Amy. She has gotten worse with her CH and I can't figure out why. Is it age? She will be 7 this year. Is it the weather? I have noticed I always feel cold and damp and these old bone ache more so is it that? I still give her the Cosequin and she seems to be feeling good , just having a far more difficult time getting around. She is falling over a lot, trembeling a lot more and her front legs seem to not work as good as they have before.

She is still as sweet as ever, wanting more attention from me, still loves her brushing but it does seem to bother her since she growls when I touch her on the back close to her tail and back legs... But she still enjoys being brushed.

I know taking her to the vet wouldn't do much good, they would be as puzzeled as I am over this decline and would just offer another depo shot. I think the Cosequin does the same thing in how it makes her feel and I am already giving her that. What I mean by the "same thing" is they both make her act like she feels better but offers no improvements on her getting around.

I did a short video of her yesterday so you could see her. You can see she still dosen't give up doing what she wants to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi1AamKHRjI

Anyone have any opinions or ideas as to what is going on or what I could try?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I don't know a darn thing about CH - but viewing that video makes me just want to pick her up and hug her. Poor sweet baby - but she still managed to climb up to you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Maybe a mild arthritis med from the vet? That might be affecting her too.

Hugs to wittle Amy.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh Poor Amy, it it heartbreaking to see her like that. But she did manage to climb up to you for a cuddle - how sweet! Yes, I could hear her purring. I dont know what CH is, but I hope something can be done about it. Seven years is no age for a cat.

Lots of scritches and purrs from us.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

What a sweetie... all that effort just to climb up to you... and all that purring yet too. Same here, I just want to pick her up and give her a hug! I hope she will start to feel better with the good weather and the set backs will stop.

Lovies and scritchies to all your gang!

Count me in the sorry, don't know about the disease crew. I also wanted to wrap her in my arms. Could you show the video to the vet and maybe they could offer suggestions?

Hugs to you and her (and all the fur babies).
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Poor Dear Little Amy!!

We know that Our Pet Talkers Companion Angels are with Amy to help her through what we pray is a temporary condition.
    Shes such an Uber Sweet Cat, and so affectionate.

We know that Ebony Beau and Peaches are on the job and will help Amy all that they can.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

She is already on Cosequin (arthritis medication) and has been for several years. I am wondering if that has quit working or maybe I need to increase what I am giving her. The Cosequin DID make a big differance in how she moved around and how she felt. I am leaning towards the arthritis factor and the Cosequin stopped working for her mainly due to how cold and damp I have been feeling myself.

I don't want to take her into see the vet because of how badly that stresses her and how the stress effects her... I think I will call them tomorrow and see if they think the Cosequin has stopped working and what else we can try until at least this damp feeling in the air passes. I think she is as sensitive to the cold and dampness as I am and perhaps that is what is going on.. I can't believe the cold wet winter we had didn't effect her but now that it is spring, she is being effected..

I have noticed that she lays closer to the heater vents and so does Samantha. I find Samantha hugging the bathroom heater vet all the time. She is curled up next to the one in the living room right now.

I'm sorry. I also have no experience with CH and I know I cannot watch the video because I will cry. But I think calling the vet and asking them about it. Maybe you can up the dose of Cosequin and see if that helps.

Hugs to you and Amy.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

For those of you who haven't come across it before, CH is Cerebellar Hypoplasia, a neurological disorder that disrupts the animal's balance and coordination. I am the meowmie of two CH cats, Elmer and Bob.

Laura, I am betting that this is a reaction to the cool, damp weather. If you are feeling the effects of it and Samantha is seeking out and hogging the heating vents, Amy must be feeling it too. How soon do you think the weather might start to improve?

I don't think it would be Amy's age of 7 years. Bob is going on 10 now and is doing no worse than he has before. He always has fallen quite a bit while trying to stand up or walk, ever since I've had him (about 2 years now) and before with his previous family (his whole life up until then).

That sounds like a good idea to talk to the vet and see what they think might be going on. I hope an increase in the Cosequin dose or perhaps a slightly stronger supplement might give her some relief. I agree with you that you don't want to put her through the stress of actually going to the vet's if there's anything else you can do to ease things up for her at home.

Laura, there is a HandicappedPets e-mail and/or web group and I believe a number of groups and/or sites devoted specifically to CH cats. I know some people regularly involved with them (I don't follow them regularly myself because I already spend too much time here!). If you wish, I will contact people and see if I can come up with any other answers or ideas or leads for you and Amy.

Let's see what Helene (lvpets2002) has to say, what with her many CHers, too!

Elmer and Bob and all of us send our love to Amy - Bob especially, because Amy is his one true love!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

My CH guy (Farley) has a lot more difficult when he is stressed, but also when he is tired (as if a cat ever gets tired )

Can you set up a little heating station/pad where Amy sleeps? That might help her a little bit

Laura, I'm sorry to hear that Amy is feeling so poorly. I also don't know anything about CH but I agree that maybe you could get her some kind of heating pad to sleep on. It doesn't have to be the electric kind because there are some that you can heat up in the microwave and the heat will last for many hours. Here's a link to one: http://cozywinters.com/shop/snugglesafe.html. I hope that she'll start feeling better soon. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

I did not find the video upsetting at all! I saw a very sweet kitty who was going to get to her meowmie no matter what. What a determined little girl Amy is. I would send the video to the vet and see what they say. I hope she starts moving better very soon. She has such a cute purr. She sure loves her meowmie, doesn't she?
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Amy wants nothing to do with heating pads, I have a closet full of them that I have tried. She realizes the heat is there and won't go back... she can be so fussy. I am hoping this weather gets hot SOON! Cold and damp always had a bad effect on her until the Cosequin.

While my vet is good with her, they are also learning from HER, as they learn about her. Dr. Gott has a friend that has a CH kitty and he always asks me lots of questions about Amy, wanting to learn all he can to perhaps help his friends cat and to compare things with.. His friends cat has seizures.

I know CH'ers are not suppose to get any worse. It was Nancy Efusey (the pet psychic) that alerted me to try something for arthritis, that Amy showed her arthritis like pain all over her body and there were immediate improvements on the Cosequin with her. She has been on this now for several years and has maybe built up a tolerance for it? It is the lack of cordination in her front legs that has me worried, I guess that could be arthritis? They just seem to want to not move in the right direction anymore and are what has her falling over more... I think! Shucks, I just don't know but I AM leaning towards the cold and damp weather and the Cosequin no longer working for her.

I would NOT hesitate to take her in to see the vet if it were not for how bad she stresses. She stresses so bad that it is alarming for me and the vet. That stress will make her even worse than she is and that is what I am trying to avoid.

Maybe talk with the vet about increasing the dose of the Cosoquin...