Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I almost lost Koko this morning.

I almost lost Koko this morning.

Every morning for the last few years we have a morning ritual that involves Koko going out to do her business. I usually stand or sit on the porch while she goes to a wooded section, clearly in sight. After she finishes she comes running back to the porch for her treat.(rawhide). This morning she heads out one of our walking trails that used to make 1/4 mile loop on the east end of my land. A couple of years ago I gave a new neighbor an easement road that goes back on 25 acres where two houses were built. This easement also goes to a county road. When I saw her take off I immediately grabbed my leash and went down the trail after her. Just as I got to the easement road I saw her standing in the middle of the county road, just as the driver of a car, hit the horn, and swerved to not hit Koko. If there had been a car in the other direction the driver would have hit her. Knowing she was wrong, when she saw me, she started going farther down the road. I stopped and said "Go Home" as forcefully as I could. She immediately dropped her tail, between her legs, and headed back home by way of the trail. After scolding her as harshly as I could I went in without giving her the usual treat.

I will be working in my yard later today And I told her she would have to stay on the porch or on leash. I hope being exiled all day will have an impact on her. I will also try to ignore her as much as possible. This punishment usually has the greatest impact on getting her attention.

What would you do? I think seeing her almost hit by a car, scared and upset me more than I can remember,ever. I just couldn't bear losing my Koko.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

I'm glad she's ok. Good thing you stand and watch when she goes out. I'd probably leash the dog for a while too. When my dogs do something wrong I usually take some time to do some obedience drills. Sometimes older dogs need a brushup since obedience commands aren't as fresh on their mind as a newly trained pup.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Oh my! That just scared me while I was reading it. I am soooo glad she is okay.
    As for the punishment, you do what you feel is right. Others might say doing that doesn't work because dogs don't think or feel like we do (whatever). But she's your dog and you can do what you want. You aren't abusing her and that's all that matters.
    I once got so angry at Zoee for something (I don't remember what now). She knew how angry I was and followed me around with such a sad look on her face. And once I yelled at Taggart for something. After I got out of the shower he had chewed one of my sneakers. He never did that before and never has since. Every dog is different.
    Personally I would be all over her loving on her because she is safe. But yes, I would limit her freedom today as well.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yikes - that was too close for comfort.

It's said that dogs don't remember/know what they are being punished for, except when it is given at the time it happens. I don't know that I totally believe that or not. Maybe just be aloof toward her today, and restrict her when she is outside for a while to come. Also, go over some of those old commands, but if she listened to you when you said "go home", then she hasn't forgotten everything she learned.

I would be watching her like a hawk whenever she's outside now, until you're as certain as you can be, that she won't go off the beaten path again.

Koko - behave!!!! You scared the daylights out of Dad. No more of that nonsense - ya' hear??!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

OMG!!! I have been there before and it's as scary as it gets. I think the punishment is good. That's what I have done in the past too but I usually end up speaking to them before too much time has passed. How can I ignore my best friend and conversationalist for too long?

I'm so glad she's okay. Koko-please don't ever do that again!!! It is scaring the daylights out of me. I can imagine how Dad felt. Yikes!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

It may take a while for your heart to go back down from your throat - but thank God Koko is alright. They do scare the daylights out of us don't they?

Not being a dog owner I have no advice for you - it sounds excellent that she remembered and obeyed your command and I am happy the result was good.

I am so glad she is alright!!! I would take the time to help her remember boundaries. And I would also work on recall hard core!!! You can never work too much on it... it should be done a couple days a week at least. I am so glad Koko is okay. Give her hugs for us.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post

And I told her she would have to stay on the porch or on leash.
    I hope being exiled all day will have an impact on her.
    I will also try to ignore her as much as possible.
    This punishment usually has the greatest impact on getting her attention.

What would you do?
    I HAVE done similar "punishments" ... but Ifear it has limited impact on the
    Transgressor because the punishment is too far removed from the Sin ---
    The pooch is unable to connect what was done in the foggy past with what is happening in the present.

The dog has long forgotten what he did that was "wrong";
    and now is confronted with unpleasant behavior from his 2-Legger while
    the dog is now "being good" ... makes NO sense to the 4-Legger.

"Punishments" (befitting the crime) are only effective when delivered
    immediately (within SECONDS) of the dog comitting the infraction ...
    any greater time lag results in confusion to the dog.

Happens at The Ranch all too often:
    * Fido gets lost on a Hike and is late returning ...
    * Dad hollers *COME* and **SLAMS* the front door!
    * FIDO: Hark ... me hears the Leader's Voice ...
    * FIDO: <slam>... Utttth- Ooooooh ... the dreaded *Door SLAM* sound ...

* Fido trotts home and presents himself on the front porch ...
    * Tail Tip flipping slightly - a sign of pennance

* the Door flies open: "BAD MUTT! WHERE ya BEEN? GeT IN HERE!"

* Fido's Reaction: WTF! I come home for THIS!?? ... Why do I bother "lissnin" ?

I am so glad the driver didn't hit her. Koko, do you need a reminder of where your boundaries are??
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Good luck!! I'm so glad Koko is okay! Maybe she was scared enough to remember what a car is! I would keep her on a short lead for a while, too....even if just for your own peace of mind.
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

I appreciate your good wishes and advice. I sat down and had a good conversation with my best friend Koko. It might be true that she doesn't remember what she did wrong but she sure remembered that daddy was not happy with what she did. When I started talking she started nuzzling up to me like she was saying I'm sorry. Once we had Our talk she was happy again. I think I will do some re-training on the "come" command over the next few weeks, and I think for now she will have to stay on the leash.

I think she just has Spring fever. I will take her to the park in a few days and just let her run. I need to inspect some trails that we built week before last to make sure the down pours, we had last week, didn't wash them all away. She needs a bath so we can have a park outing before bath time. While she is on the trail she runs through every creek and mud hole she can find, so she is usually ready for a bath. I am just thankful she is OK.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Don't ya' just love that submissive/I'm sorry routine? They really know how to work it!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh no! I'm so glad Koko is ok! I'm sure she scared you half to death!
    I stopped and said "Go Home" as forcefully as I could. She immediately dropped her tail, between her legs, and headed back home by way of the trail. After scolding her as harshly as I could I went in without giving her the usual treat.
    Even though Koko did wrong at first, by running off, she did go home when you told her. jmho, I would have gave her the treat.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

That story is very scary, I would've been so scared as well! I can certainly understand your feelings. I am glad you had a "talk" with her and she seems to understand. I am quite sure she won't do it again but am thankful she is OKAY!

Holy cow, a few more gray hairs thanks to a furkid! Oh I am so glad she is alright! And you will recover, as well.

I suggest you work on recalls again, Freshen up her COME! command. Treat, a high value treat, each and very time. Keep treats on you, in a baggie in your pocket, and work on that command.

Do you do a distance down? Although I've had it in classes, I've never been able to teach it to my crew. I know that also can save a dog who is ready to run out into a street, and you see a car coming. If you do one, work for a week on recalls, and then add in the distance down. Keep working both, regularly, for a month, until you feel more sure of her response.

Hugs to you, my heart sped up just reading! And I knew from the title all was going to end well.