View Poll Results: Do you want honesty in a saleperson?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I might THINK I know what I want, but not always

9 26.47%
  • As long as you don't try to sell me something more expensive just to increase the cost

3 8.82%
  • Depends. If you know what you're talking about, I'll listen. If you're fool.... forget it!

18 52.94%
  • No. I know what I want, keep your opinions & expertise to yourself.

4 11.76%

Thread: Shopping for big-ticket items

Shopping for big-ticket items

I work in a furniture store. Most people consider a new sofa set to be a big-ticket purchase, but my questions is for anything bought over $1000.... washer/dryer, jewelry, car, etc.

I've always known sales people have different approaches. Some are energetic, others laid back. Some push with pressure, others bargain, others have the "take it or leave it" attitude.

Lately, I've noticed a huge gap between an honest sales sperson who will tell you everything, even if it might make you change your mind. While others will sell you something no matter if they think you're making a bad decision.

An example that happened this weekend. A customer came in looking for a white leather sofa. We only have a creamy pebbly matte finish leather, which is a big dirt magnet. I told the customer the truth: that she'd kick herself for it and I would recommend going slightly darker, and to something with a sheen. A sheen will help fight surface dirt. The customer replied that she had her heart set on white. I explained that white is fine IF she was prepared for the reality of it.

My coworkers all looked at me as if I'd lost my mind. They said that if she wants what she wants, then its up to her to decide it was a mistake.

A $3000 mistake? I can't in good conscious sell something I think the customer will regret..... if they decide to go with their heart's desire after I explained the cons, then I did my job. My coworkers feel I went above and beyond. They say that my job is to sell furniture, not be someone's guardian angel.

I tell people when I think their fabric choice will become a nightmare with pets. I tell them if I think the colors will not work. I tell them the honest truth. They seem to always accept the truth and if what I say goes against what they want, they either look elsewhere or keep and open mind.

Funny thing.... I have the least number of returns or complaints of anyone in the store. Hmmm, might my truthfullness be the reason? Happy customers happy with their choices?

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    if they decide to go with their heart's desire after I explained the cons, then I did my job.
    you certainly did!.. and you are my kind of sales person...

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    Funny thing.... I have the least number of returns or complaints of anyone in the store. Hmmm, might my truthfullness be the reason? Happy customers happy with their choices?
    not funny at all.. THAT´s why you are a great sales person and certainly make customers happy..

I bet you have returning customers asking for your advice in future purchases.. I know I would
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

When it comes to big-ticket items, I might think I know what I want, but the expertise and skill of a good salesperson is definitely welcome!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I voted "Depends if you know what you're talking about". After reading your post you would be my kind of salesperson and if I shopped for other items in the store I would go looking for you. Honesty is always a big hit with me.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

IMO, it doesn't matter what one's profession is, we all have an ethical obligation to tell the truth and help if we can. I think you did the right thing. It's your job to share your knowledge and expertise with others.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

My sister in law bought pretty much the same sofa about 5 years ago, I thought it was a big mistake but its help up with kids and a dog really well.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I think there's a hidden fine line in there somewhere. When buying big ticket items, I'm the kind of consumer that does my research and determines ahead of time exactly what I am looking for. So, when a sales person tries to disuade me, I tend to find it a bit insulting. For example, when I was buying my digital camera -- the guy at Staples almost wouldn't sell it to me. He told me it was 'too much camera' and tried to sell me one that I already had. I had done my research, and wanted that one because of the shutter speed. (And for the record, the camera is perfect!)

So, yes, a salesperson should always tell the truth, but not be pushy about it. So, if I was the person trying to buy the white couch, I think I would have responded with something (hopefully nicely) like: "Is this couch for sale? Because this is the one I would like to buy." (Yes, I have pets and I have kids, and I LOVE my white couch!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiebaker View Post
    When buying big ticket items, I'm the kind of consumer that does my research and determines ahead of time exactly what I am looking for.
    I am too. Still, I would want to hear what the sales person has to say.

You can still get it wrong though. John and I went to a shop that is known for good quality to buy beds, but I'm not happy at all with it.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I'm a salesperson and can relate to all sides. I think there are as many types of salespeople as there are consumers. The trick is to make the right match.
    Being in sales, when I make a big ticket purchase, I've done my research and would just like to make my purchase. I don't want to be "sold" anything more or different than what I came in for. I work with a girl that can sell ice to eskimos and she would make me crazy if she were selling to me but boy does she sell alot! I'm amazed at how easily lead so many people are. No minds of their own!
    Regarding the white couch, I probably would have said "Wow you are brave! That wouldn't be white a nanosecond in my house!" I might suggest how to care for it but that's about it. I wouldn't question their desire/choice but if they were hesitant or REALLY wanted an opinion I'd be glad to chime in.

I can tell the difference in a nano second between the person that just wants to sell you something from the person that actually cares what she/he is selling. I prefer the latter.

If I had come in to buy a white couch, and someone said to me what you said to her, I would have thanked you. It might not have been something I thought about. I might still buy the couch, but, I would have felt like I was properly informed.

I had had some work done in my bathroom. I wanted these shelves built in to the wall. The guy told me what he saw as a potential problem with one of them. I thought about it, and decided I could live with it. I appreciated his candor.

Thanks for your honest input.

In regards to the sofa, she asked my opinion of how that particular leather would fare. I told her. I sell ooodles of white-ish sofas, especially microfiber. In fact, I sell them with confidence in the ability to keep them clean (I had one myself a couple years ago) but I also tell customers what they can expect from their white sofa.... in other words, they know how to maintain them and what to expect.

The leather my customer asked about was one I HATED having on the sales floor. It came in from the warehouse dirty and only collected more dirt the longer it stayed on the floor. This customer also wanted WHITE white, not bone As she was leaving, she admitted she was replacing a ruined white leather sofa. She apparently hated how it showed surface dirt. So she KNEW what to expect but yet wanted me to tell her that our leather wouldn't show the dirt???? Ummm.... no.

So I was glad I told the truth, because I could see her being the kind of person to call in 6 months screaming at me for selling her a white leather sofa... how dare I allow her to buy it when I knew it would stain so easily. Oh yes, I get those calls from other sales people's customers. Funny, I never get those calls from my customers. The other sales people know to pull me in on their customers now when they hear about pets because they know I'll sell them the right fabric and avoid that call in 6 months.

I have to laugh at those people because when what I said would happen, happens, they scream at me for allowing them to make a bad decision. I merely say, "Mrs. Smith, I remember explicitly explaining to you that this would be expected" and they always admit I had.

I have more respect for a salesperson, and the business they work for when they are truthfull, even if it means they don't sell a product that day. I'm more likely to return to that salesperson/business in the future because of it, and more likely to recommend other people go there as well.

I'd rather have a totally honest salesperson, than one that didn't clue me in on a product, I buy it, have it for a while, have a problem, then go online and find out it's a KNOWN issue with the product. I can then guarantee you I won't return to that salesperson, or possibly that business again, and will recommend my friends to stay away as well.

You did the right thing, regardless if your co-workers thought you were nuts, and regardless if the potential customer was asking the unreasonable.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022