Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Worry, Pit Bulls Aren't the Only Breed Discriminated

Don't Worry, Pit Bulls Aren't the Only Breed Discriminated

My friends and I (including my husband) are going to be moving into a new apartment together soon. Well, we found one, but I would have to leave my car at my parents. Which is fine, but I was still looking for other apartments just in case. Well, I found THE perfect one, but they have a list of dog breeds that aren't allowed. Guess who's on there. DALMATIANS. -.- I kind of figured. Bad breedings have given dalmatians a slightly bad name. -.- UGH!
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

They don;t deserve the fun to Delta, anyway ... to them!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    My friends and I (including my husband) are going to be moving into a new apartment together soon. Well, we found one, but I would have to leave my car at my parents. Which is fine, but I was still looking for other apartments just in case. Well, I found THE perfect one, but they have a list of dog breeds that aren't allowed. Guess who's on there. DALMATIANS. -.- I kind of figured. Bad breedings have given dalmatians a slightly bad name. -.- UGH!
    Around here Huskies are on the list and so are German Shepherds. Its hard to find an apartment that will allow you to have either one of these breeds along with American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Doberman Pinscher, Chow Chow, Rottie, Shar pei.

The last place we looked at said that they wish they could ban poodles from their complex....well as a poodle owner I got up and left right then.

(Poodles are starting to get a pretty bad rep though it seems, again bad breeding and irresponsible owners that won't train their dogs)

I love our current place, they do it basically on a case by case basis. And if for some reason you have a mix breed that is say Lab/Rottie or Lab/Pit bull.....all they care to know about is the lab....you can't prove what a mutt is so they just don't care. (They tend to overlook at times again though its a case by case basis on any dog they let in from Chihuahuas to Great Danes)

I like our apartment we have now because they don't really have anything against dogs. The dogs can be any size or breed. But I extremely dislike them for other reasons!!! Long story. Lol

The other place we are moving to said they just don't want giant dogs like bull mastiffs, etc. The only sucky thing is with four people and four (actually five but I'm making my husband sell one) cars... we're only allowed three. But we can make do.

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    Bad breedings have given dalmatians a slightly bad name. -.- UGH!

It's more like bad OWNERS have given any breed a bad reputation. Too many owners can't or won't recognize that their dog is controling them. Too many owners that let their dogs do whatever they want, whenever and wherever they want. I've noticed with our clients that the ones who have the poorly behaved dogs that run the owners, and misbehave something awful, usually have kids doing the same thing.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

That also has to do with it. But the major inbreeding that has occurred with dalmatians mostly after 101 Dalmatians has made them rather unsure of themselves. If dalmatians do not get a lot of socialization when young and are not introduced to new things all the time, they become very suspicious and do not know how to deal with situations. This is also partially just how dalmatians are. When the dogs in her basic class were introduced to a walker, everyone was fine with it. Some were more wary than others, but they were all fine. Delta barked... a lot. Lol I had to get a walker and acclimate her to it for a day.

But you are right, owners don't realize this of their dalmatians and so when they do get in a bad situation, they don't know what to do, and may very likely snap.

Dalmatians are on the "no-rent" list at several places here, as well. As are huskies.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Size matters large dogs are not allowed at most pet friendly places that
    allow pets. most Motel/hotels that are pet friendly limit the size to 30/40 pounds. I really don't see what difference the size of the pet makes, since
    they allow people and/or kids to be any size.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Oh no, this place didn't have a weight limit, it had a list of breeds that were and were not allowed. Lots of hotels/motels are beginning to allow bigger dogs because they realize people want to travel with their larger dogs too.

none of the places I have lived (except for my first apartment) had a weight limit, just a list of breed restrictions.

But I love it even the place with a 15lb weight limit had a list of breed restrictions as I listed above, like anyone is going to have a 15lb Rottie or a 15lb Dobie....don't see the point of restrictions if you have a weight limit.

My current apartment has no weight limit, nor did my last one but they have a list of breed restrictions (though my current apartment does it on a case by case basis, I think they are hurting for renters...they just changed the pet policy to 3 pets per unit instead of 2)

Wow! I wish ours was three pets. Lol My current used to be two, went down to one. The one we're moving to is two. It's now so tempting to adopt one of the pups from the 101 Dalmatians musical. LOL!!!

I noticed this too back when we had my RB Pepper (Dal). Lots of people would ask, Will she bite? How can you leave her with your children? (I picked her out... so that was kind of a moot question!) Isn't she really high strung? We got all kinds of questions.. and we thought they were so far fetched because Pepper was the ultimate people dog.. except for when it came to my dad. But thats probably because she could sense he was going to divorce my mom! lol...

If I were to rent a place... I would never live somewhere that had restrictions like that. Luckily we own our townhouse, and their rule is 2 dogs, any kind. Well we have 3 and have for almost 3 years.. so you can see how strict they are! =)

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Lol!

I know, people always think Honda and Delta are going to be mean. They are such sweethearts. I did realize at the dog park yesterday that Delta does look kind of mean when she plays. LOL!

Its sucks doesn't it? Try walking a cocker spaniel out in public. People just have to start to realize that temperment is individual. Maybe we need a Martin Luther King Jr. for dogs. A march on Washington. No more "racism" in the world of dog breeds.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Oh, I know about cockers. Which is so sad because they are just precious. My friend's grammy had one who was almost deaf and mostly blind. He was such a sweetheart though.