Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Update!! 6/15) Jheri has a hernia

(Update!! 6/15) Jheri has a hernia

My little girl budgie Jheri has a hernia and sadly, this is the beginning of the end. Girl budgies are prone to so many egg-laying related ailments and this is one of them. Many years ago, this happened to one of my other female budgies and I opted to try to have it corrected surgically. She died almost as soon as they made the incision due to the change in her blood pressure. This time, I will let Jheri stay with us and her two cagemates, and when it is her time, she will cross the bridge in the comfort of her own home.

She is still active and eating and her boyfriend, Sergio, takes care of her by feeding and preening her. She still flies around a bit as well, but spends a lot of time in her fuzzy hut, sitting on a faux egg since she cannot lay one herself now (silly girl). Please keep her in your thoughts and pray that, when the time comes, her passing is easy and quick.

Cathy
    Last edited by Catherinedana; 06-15-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Updating Title

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Aww, prayers on the way for her comfort.
    I've Been Frosted

I'm sorry about Jheri. Hopefully she'll have a good bit of time left with you. {hugs}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Bless her little budgie heart

OK - weird!! Thank you for your prayers and thoughts because I think something very special happened. The swelling at her vent has gone down to almost nothing. She is spending a lot of time out of her little fuzzy hut now and eating eating eating eating!!! When she isn't tail up in her cup, she is begging Sergio for a bit of regurge!! This is typical post-nesting behavior!! Was she mis-diagnosed? No telling at this point. We are NOT going to the vet again right now. She is still a bit unsteady on her little legs, but she comes out to fly and snooze in the sun coming through the window.

My little pastel girl!!!

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

I just now noticed this thread, and I'm so happy to hear Jheri is doing better!
    Good vibes headed her way for the good news to continue.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Since this weekend, Jheri has been out of her fuzzy hut pretty much all of the time and out of her cage a good part of each day. She has put a tremendous amount of weight back on and it flying well. Yesterday she was sittting on the swing that is hanging from the bird-room ceiling - that was always her favorite spot but I hadn't seen her there for a couple of months, even before she "fell apart". She was up there preening, then snoozing. She even shooed Jazzy away when he tried to take her spot. She is pretty much back to her old self again, although she does do a good bit of snoozing. I am floored!!

Strange how it happened, too . . .I told my husband last week that Jheri had really appeared to go downhill and I was expecting her to cross the Rainbow Bridge soon. I was so saddened because she is such a lovely little bird and such a trooper, but I figured it was her time. It was as though she heard me because the uphill climb began that very afternoon! Incredible!!

Isn't she cute!!??!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jheri.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	45146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jheri up close.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	45147  

So good to hear happy news! The power of Pet Talk prayers, indeed!
    I've Been Frosted

She's still doing well. . .eating like a champ. The lump is still there, and it gets larger then smaller. She and Sergio were doing the nasty again yesterday so she can't feel too badly. She is in her fuzzy hut a lot more again, looks like nesting behavior so I guess she's not finished yet, but I wish it would end!! It takes so much out of her. But I'm just grateful that she is doing so much better.

I'm glad she's doing better!! Pinot sends purrs, but I don't know if they would be appreciated...
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Well, the hernia has gotten quite big at this point, and although Jheri is still fairly active and eating well, I don't feel that I can ignore it any longer. I have made an appt with our vet for May 8 at 9:30 so that he can look at her and help me make my decision on what to do next. I know surgery is pretty much out of the question - it will kill her. I would rather have her cross the Rainbow Bridge quietly before her bowel twists or something like that. I am very sad

Odd how it keeps coming and going isn't it? very wise to seek professional advice. Will be thinking of you both on the day

We'll keep Jheri in our prayers.
    I've Been Frosted

I made the vet appt for this coming Saturday. I'm afraid I know what the outcome will be. This is very difficult.

Good luck for tomorrow