Thread: Thinking of switching our dogs from California Natural to Solid Gold. Good move or no

Thinking of switching our dogs from California Natural to Solid Gold. Good move or no

We are thinking of switching our dogs from California Naturals Herring and Sweet Potato to Sold Gold Holistique Blendz Adult Dog (fish)

Mainly because the fat content is less in the Solid Gold, so it would be better for my dog with Gastointestinal issues.

Do you feel this is a good move or not. Both our dogs are doing great on California Naturals but they might do better on the solid gold.

I'm scared to switch them but I'm curious at the same time.

California Naturals: Fat 11% Solid Gold: Fat 6%

They both cost the same so that isn't an issue

If you were me would you switch or stay the same?

The vet suggested that a lower fat content will lessen his issues and maybe even resolve them, no guarentee though

So that is where I am at.

Thanks

By the way my dog with GI issues is a Minature Poodle and my other dog with no issues is a Terrier mix so two very different types of dogs
    Last edited by iluvterriers; 03-09-2010 at 05:52 PM.

wow that is a super duper low fat percentage... I know it's only 1% less, but I'm in love with Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance LID line of dog food. The pricing is right up your alley too to take into concideration. My only down fall with the food itself... was the low fat protien intake, I want more of it for my more active dogs, but i still haven't brought myself to make the switch because i love NB so much.

Quote Originally Posted by cane76 View Post
    Google that b*tches
    I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back. -Doug

iluvterriers

California Naturals: Fat 11% Solid Gold: Fat 6%
    IMO you do not need to reduce the fat % of your dogs food. If the fat was from
    beef, chicken, or lamb there may be an issue. The fat in fish is the good fat. The saturated % is very low. I have found with my dog that she does better on a limited ingredient food. The Solid gold uses a fish meal and they
    don't even say what kind. While Herr (Atlantic) has one of the highest fat content I do not see that as a negative. The fat content is so low I don't see that as being the cause of stomach issues.

The ingredient in both foods that should help stomach issues is the oatmeal.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Both are good companies, but Natura (Cal nat) is a more reputable company. Do your dogs have any allergies? Because Cal nat is very good for that. Very limited ingredients. I don't think it matters. The fat for Solid Gold says a minimum of 6%, so you are more than likely getting more than 6%
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I believe the Holistique Blendz is intended to be supplemented with fresh meats... I used to feed it along with raw for that reason. The fat seems so, so, so low.

I highly recommend Acana Pronvicial Pacifica formula. It's a really high quality, grain-free food with lots of different types of wild-caught fish. I feed it to my boys occasionally.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Thanks guys, after doing some further research I think we are going to stay with what we are on for now