Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pit bulls

pit bulls

I believe that pit bulls don't deserve such a bad reputation. I absolutely love pit bulls & am trying to open a no-kill pit bull rescue sometime in the future. They truly are a beautiful breed, & they deserve a chance to go to a good home! Anyone with me?
    -Melanie

Daisy, Maggie, Charlie, Teddy, Honey, Bear, Twinkie, Chester, Osiris, Vizzini, Genevieve, Dimitri, Charlotte, the chickens, Maya, Dragon, & Peaches

"Animals are such agreeable friends; they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." -George Elliot

My favorite breed of dog is the american pit bull terrier. I firmly believe you will never meet a more friendly, loyal and lovable dog then the APBT! Sadly though as long as I rent, I can't have one. Though I suspect there may be some pittie in one of my dogs blood.....more likely though the SBT. About 98 percent of the dogs that come into the shelters in my county and surrounding counties are mixed with pit in some form or fashion
    We also do not have bsl here so we get the dogs from the counties with bsl to place.
    We need more bully rescues, but what we need more is more people willing to open up their hearts and homes to these wonderful dogs

Saw this and thought it was neat:

Top Ten Reasons Why You Can't Trust Vicious Pit Bulls

10. They will steal your spot on the couch while you are up getting a soda.
    9. They will take the treat you give them and bury in the back yard like a paranoid crack head hiding their stash.
    8. They will jump on your bed with muddy feet. Making you do the laundry...again!
    7. They will lick visitors with an uncontrolled passion only they understand.
    6. They will cause children to smile.
    5. They will make you feel horrible for not walking them by looking at you with deep sad eyes.
    4. They will look at you like you committed a crime against them if you don't let them lick your ice cream bowl.
    3. They will cause wide spread happiness in large group settings.
    2. They will crack you up by shaking their butts so hard you think they are going to snap in half.
    And the number one reason why you can't trust vicious Pit Bulls...
    1. They will steal your heart like a thief in the night, showing you complete and pure love that only a Pit Bull can show.

- Jason Mann

There are many threads here about pit bulls, do a quick search and you'll find plenty of threads on them!
    I've Been Frosted

i have two of my own and i just love them....and they do so well with little dogs....since i have three of them......but i love the top ten that was really cute

The top ten was so cute! I have a pit bull mix & I love him!!!!

lol a thread I can comment on, lol, this is MY breed of choice, I have three full APBT's and one APBT/Lab mix and a Dobe and I will always own APBT's, they are truely a dog for a certain person but they are wondreful dogs. I woul dhelp if you needed it, just let me know

~thank you Krista for my siggy~
    www.k9bsl.com

I love pitties, however sometimes it's the owners themselves that purpetuate the bad reputation! I took a call yesterday from someone asking about getting his 1 year old dog neutered. He wanted to know if it would change the personality. In trying to explain about hormones and roaming he mentioned that his dog was VERY aggressive! He said (and I quote)....
    "My dog is extremely aggressive and I don't trust him. I know he's a pit bull and they're like that anyways, but will neutering help him any? When I tie him out in the yard he lunges at children walking by and I know if he ever gets loose he'll really hurt somoene".

I had a hard time not giving him a lecture that would burn his ear off, but instead explained that pit bulls are NOT by nature aggressive (he sounded shocked by that news), neutering would help some, and tying the dog out in the yard makes things worse. I also gave him the number of a local animal trainer that specializes in behaviour issues includding aggression.

Unfortunately I could not get the man to set up an appointment, and the dog also has never had a Rabies vaccination either.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    I love pitties, however sometimes it's the owners themselves that purpetuate the bad reputation! I took a call yesterday from someone asking about getting his 1 year old dog neutered. He wanted to know if it would change the personality. In trying to explain about hormones and roaming he mentioned that his dog was VERY aggressive! He said (and I quote)....
    "My dog is extremely aggressive and I don't trust him. I know he's a pit bull and they're like that anyways, but will neutering help him any? When I tie him out in the yard he lunges at children walking by and I know if he ever gets loose he'll really hurt somoene".

I had a hard time not giving him a lecture that would burn his ear off, but instead explained that pit bulls are NOT by nature aggressive (he sounded shocked by that news), neutering would help some, and tying the dog out in the yard makes things worse. I also gave him the number of a local animal trainer that specializes in behaviour issues includding aggression.

Unfortunately I could not get the man to set up an appointment, and the dog also has never had a Rabies vaccination either.
    People like that, shouldn't have ANY dogs! It's the lack of training (and love and attention), that is this dog's problem, all attributed to his owner, no doubt! Just one more horror story waiting to happen!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post

Oh my god! That's so terrible! People like that shouldn't be able to own dogs...

My hat off to you...

Charlie,

My hat is off to you sir for your admirable effort to help save pit bulls. My wife and I recently adopted a rescue pit and for the past month now that we have had him, he's not only been a complete joy, he's inspired me to do whatever I can to give the breed a better reputation. Honestly, I wish we could officially change the name of the breed, something that is more appropriate to their true character, and not the bogus reputation that the media, thugs, and dog fighting rings give these poor pooches. I suppose that's partly what breeders had in mind with the American Staffordshire Terrier.

Anyway, you're doing a great thing sir. Keep us informed.

Nathan Brooks
    Gold Collar Pet Services
    http://www.goldcollarpets.com

No way.

My neighbors have 3 pitbulls, and they jump over my fence trying to kill my Chihuahuah, max. They bit the owners arm off and killed another dog. I want to give them a chance, but how!?

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by CatsMeow View Post
    My neighbors have 3 pitbulls, and they jump over my fence trying to kill my Chihuahuah, max. They bit the owners arm off and killed another dog. I want to give them a chance, but how!?
    Train the owners to train the dogs. In the meantime, keep your dog under close supervision. As I said in another thread - all pit bulls are not the killers that you think they are, as ANY dog has the potential to kill or inflict injury.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

CatsMeow - please do your research first. They are not for everyone and if you have other dogs and cats already, it may not be wise to get one as they are dog aggressive and very prey driven. They are a wonderful breed and amazing with people but often are DA.

They may not be at first but they can turn on at any moment. They are AMAZING with people, though. So please do your research, don't get one because you feel sorry for them you have to know the breed first just like with any breed. If you are going to get one, I would adopt there are so many in shelters and rescues. I also want to mention DA and animal aggression can only be managed, not trained out. DA is in their genetics just like retrieve-ing with labs, ACDs herding, etc.

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/breed.html

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/myths.html

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/owning.html

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/responsible.html
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

WOW, Seriously? I'm sorry you've had rough experiences with Pitbulls, but whose fault is it that the dogs are like that? Not theirs as they did not train themselves. I love Beagles, I have a pug/beagle mix whom I love to death and I love the Beagle breed more then any other. However, All dog breeds have their advantages and flaws and that is simply an opinion. I don't know why you're being so rude about pitbulls, when all you've had is bad experiences with them. That's just being biased. I've had bad experiences with German Shepherds but doesn't mean I hate them, I know that not all of them are like that. Painting a picture of the whole breed as "crazy mutts" is just being ignorant and it's just not fair.

As an animal lover you should be a little more open to them. Fine, you don't have to like them, and no one is forcing you too either. If you have nothing nice or unbaised to bring to a conversation then you shouldn't post it in such a nice smooth-going thread. Being rude to a well-respect member(or anyone!) is uncalled for to, as she was polite to you I don't see why you needed to be nasty.