Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pit bulls

pit bulls

I do believe that pits are getting a bad rap - i know SEVERAL pit owners and the dogs are loving and loyal - it's all about the OWNERS - if an animal is not taken care of properly or trained or loved - they will become violent, just like people.

However, sometimes, just like with people, any animal can be born with a bad temperament - sometimes they can be rehabilitated and sometimes not - at least with people, with have prisons for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyEspo View Post
    The thing about pitbulls is that they are people pleasers. If the owner wants it to fight, it will do its best to do what the owner wants. It is not the pitbulls fault!!

I fell in love with a female pitbull at the local shelter but, they wouldn't let me adopt her because I have children in my home I ended up adopting a boxer/pitbull mix. As long as she had "boxer" before "pibull" they let us adopt her. I am not new to dogs and would consider myself an expert having managed a kennel in the past. She was much more mellow then the dog we did adopt.
    you're right. pit bulls are extremely devoted to their owners & will do whatever they want. sadly, this means that many are used for fighting, as you said. that's bs that they wouldn't let you adopt her. honestly, what's the difference between a pit & a boxer pit mix?? boxers are also very high-energy dogs, & could just as easily pose a threat to your children...ugh. this makes me so upset. this is why i want to own a pit bull/pit bull mix shelter when i get older (sort of like the one on pit bulls & parolees, but without the parolees lol). i think every dog deserves a second chance, & has the ability to change even after it has been used for fighting. i was watching animal cops the other day (such a sad show ) & they put 3 pit bulls down just because they had scars on them, which led them to believe that they had been involved in fighting, & had won. even so, shouldn't those dogs be allowed a second chance to become loving family pets? the dogs showed no aggression towards humans, so why couldn't they just go to a responsible owner with no dogs or children in their home?? i just don't get it...i mean, the dog whisperer has taken severely aggressive dogs, & rehabilitated them, so why can't pit bulls who have been fought be rehabilitated as well?

Sad situation in Chicago recently. Two pit bulls got out of their yard and attacked a man who was jogging through the neighborhood. They also went after the first responders. Their owner was cited for not having them secured in their yard. I heard on the news that the city council plans to take up the issue of banning the breed outright. But I think it's the owner's responsibility to have their home and yard set up so their dog can't get out and hurt someone.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I heard recently this phrase that I could relate to: when a dog bites, it is usually just a dog bite. However, when a pit bull bites, it is usually something more.

I am afraid of pit bulls. I witnessed, and participated in the attempt at stopping, a pit bull's fatal attack on a dauschaund. Most horrific thing I have ever witnessed in my life. There was no history of aggression with this dog. Then, last May, my then 6 year old was attacked by a pit. Unprovoked. I was there and saw it. Thank the good Lord it was a small/young female pit, and the injuries were, relatively speaking, minor. I was strong enough to hold it off my child. She got him three times before I could stop it. My son is afraid of bigger dogs, especially ones that look pit. He is old enough to recognize the breed.

I am 46. I have seen and handled probably no less than, conservatively, 300 rescue dogs, either in my home/overnight, or on transports. I have been bitten a few times (not with the rescue/transport dogs), and I am not afraid of those particular breeds that have bitten me, but I am anxious as heck around pits. We had one on a transport, and I was to overnight her. I had to call someone to keep her instead, I am that nervous around them.

I applaud people that work to save them.

Pitts are wonderful dogs

My Pitt - Shar Pei mix passed this past August and my heart still breaks every day. In eight years he never did anything that was aggressive or harmful and was absolutely the most gentle, sweet, loyal dog; AND he was a protector. All of his human friends adored him but strangers were afraid of him; you know, the cable guy, the meter reader, d-to-d sales ppl., etc. However, I have no doubt that he would have protected me to the very end. We were blessed to have him and would welcome another Pitt into our home on any given day.

I am sorry to for all of you who are afraid of pits. I do believe you have good reasons. I personally am not afraid of them because I have never met a mean one. When my puppy Lolli was small we met two at the vet's office who helped with her socialization. She had fun with them while we waited. I know a LOT of people who are terrified of all German Shepherds too, yet there are many who are police dogs helping to protect us. And guide dogs, and search and rescue. Every breed of dog is capable of injuring. I heard that retrievers are more likely to bite, but bully breeds, etc. are more likely to inflict serious damage. Thank you, all of you who are working to save these beautiful dogs.
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

cherished pit

Hi, I was a pit/rodesian ridgeback owner until Oct. 3, 2011 when my Oscar died (breaking my heart in two). I just wanted to know if anyone has info on this mixed breed; Availability? We have a nice home and my husband and I are very in love with the mix...Oscar had a beautiful personality and we cherished every moment with him...we are sad and wish we could give another a loving home. We are in Michigan, however, we are willing to travel to get/rescue a breed like Oscar. Thank you

Hi, oscarsmommy! There aren't really a plethora of Ridgebacks in shelters. They are tons of Pit bull mixes in shelters though! So sorry for your loss.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..