Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post office wanting to stop Saturday mail delivery

Post office wanting to stop Saturday mail delivery

If the post office gets it's way, soon there will be no mail delivery on Saturday. The only problem I have with that is when they have a Monday Holiday, we won't get mail for 3 days.

Here that makes our mail delivery way way late in the evening. People who are waiting on checks and stuff or need a bill to arrive on a certain date, could have a big problem.

I think it would be better if they took Mondays off. That would get rid of the paid Holiday and save tons of money. (just kidding) Maybe taking Wednesday off would be better. That way mail would only be missed being delivered one day a week unless there was a holiday.

Any thoughts? (please be nice I don't want this to end up in the dog house)
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

It's a scare tactic by postal management to get the PEHA laws changed.

They can WANT to eliminate saturday delivery, however it would take an act of congress to change the delivery requirements.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

We Canucks haven't had Saturday delivery for at least 20 years.

Somehow, we survived....
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post

Somehow, we survived....
    Not only survivied but put on a heck of a good Olympics !!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

There are businesses which rely on Saturday delivery.

There are people who recieve their prescriptions by mail who rely on timely delivery.

The USPS needs to save money, but there are measures they can take to save money WITHOUT impacting delivery.

I could go on for pages about the USPS wasting money, but that's fine, it's all the fault of the Unions.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Well if I counted on the USPS for anything let alone medications, I'd be dead!! I heard a news report that the main issue is that there are so many more addresses to deliver to that there just isnt' the funding or manpower to cover the additional expenses every year. I for one would be happy to volunteer home delivery for a PO box at a more central location I can pick up at my convenience. I wouldn't "count' on the USPS for anything. I pay my bills automatically online so the only thing I occasionally get other than junk mail, is a card or letter from family or friends.

I can't remember what Germany had 30 some years ago, might it have been two mail delivers on Sat?

None here on Saturdays....never has been.

"I'm Back !!"

Hmm, interesting topic. I would be so sad to stop getting mail on Saturdays. But, I can understand how in the last 15 years, so many people have stopped sending snail mail due to email, and stopped sending bills due to automatic online payments. I know that we personally go through one book of stamps in about 4 months -- yes, I bought one book right before Christmas, and its only half gone. That's not very much income to the USPS! But also, I would much more likely SEND more mail if it wasn't so darn expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Neither haven't we Belgians
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiebaker View Post
    Hmm, interesting topic. I would be so sad to stop getting mail on Saturdays. But, I can understand how in the last 15 years, so many people have stopped sending snail mail due to email, and stopped sending bills due to automatic online payments. I know that we personally go through one book of stamps in about 4 months -- yes, I bought one book right before Christmas, and its only half gone. That's not very much income to the USPS! But also, I would much more likely SEND more mail if it wasn't so darn expensive.
    I know US mail to overseas is very expensive.

"I'm Back !!"

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I, for one, wouldn't miss Saturday delivery. That's one less day to sort thru all the junk mail.

I too, use the mail less all the time. With on line bill pay, a book of stamps lasts me a LONG time. I have gone paperless with most everything, I never write or receive letters (isn't that what email is for?), and about the only thing I use stamps for, is to send out greeting cards.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I could live with mail delivery twice a week. If someone relies on Saturday mail for the delivery of medication, for example, they would start ordering it a day or two earlier, having it shipped a day or two earlier, etc.

I can't remember the last time I put a bill in the mail, though I still receive all but my cell phone bill that way. In 10 years, we will look back on this issue and laugh. Change is so hard for us, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    There are businesses which rely on Saturday delivery.

There are people who recieve their prescriptions by mail who rely on timely delivery.

The USPS needs to save money, but there are measures they can take to save money WITHOUT impacting delivery.

I could go on for pages about the USPS wasting money, but that's fine, it's all the fault of the Unions.

Am I correct that the unions are not willing to make any concessions?

Do the unions ever do without? Have they cut their payroll and pensions and lifetime health coverage?

These are sincere questions for which I have no answers. This isn't intended to start any arguments!

Quote Originally Posted by gini View Post
    Am I correct that the unions are not willing to make any concessions?

Do the unions ever do without? Have they cut their payroll and pensions and lifetime health coverage?

These are sincere questions for which I have no answers. This isn't intended to start any arguments!
    If you have health insurance, thank a union.
    If you have overtime, thank a union.
    If you have vacation time, thank a union.
    If you have suffered discrimination, and prevailed, thank a union.
    If you are female, and work for 'equal pay', thank a union.
    If you work in an environment with 'safety regs', thank a union.

And, btw, I am not union, have never been union, but, recognize the union's purpose and presence in today's current employment (or, should I say, Labor) environment.