Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: what books are you reading or have read lately...

what books are you reading or have read lately...

I have just become a bookaholic again, it has been years since i have sat down and read books, but my sister bought me cleo an uppity cat who healed a family for my birthday, this is a book written by NZ writer Helen Browne, and i would highly recommend it , now i just cannot stop reading, I am loving it,even buying books second hand online now.

I just finished This Charming Man by Marian Keyes, my sons partner has all her books, so i can borrow the lot, takes some reading 674 pages long, but interesting, and now i am reading The Lovely Bones, have read My Sisters Keeper, and waiting for the DVD out next month, enjoyed the book very much.

So what books have you read or enjoy, or are going to read?
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

The Duchess of Death, it's about Agatha Christie, one of my all time fav authors.

I am reading mysteries as usual, many taking place in foreign lands (my favorites are still the Scandinavians). Right now, "Red Knife" by William Kent Krueger, set in the deep woods of the far northern reaches of Minnesota (speaking of foreign lands?.. ).

I just finished a long but breathtaking book, "The Good German" by Joseph Kanon. Set in 1945 Berlin: Hitler has been defeated, Berlin is divided into zones of occupation by the Allied victors.. The story is set off with a murder mystery and becomes one "..of espionage and love, an extraordinary re-creation of a city devastated by war, and a thriller that asks the most profound ethical questions in its exploration of the nature of justice, and what we mean by good and evil in times of peace and of war." (- from the back cover notes.)
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

"The Name of the Wind," by Patrick Rothfuss.

It's actually my 2nd time through the book, as I can no longer use my library card (until we can afford to pay the fine) due to Marta's penchant for chewing up library books! I've already paid the library hundreds of dollars, and I keep books up, but my best efforts are not good enough...it's the only naughty thing Marta ever does, but it's pretty naughty!! *sigh* Why Marta leaves normals books alone but can't resist ones from the library is beyond me.

I have just bought a book at an auction online for $5.00 Paullina Simons A road to Paradise, also bidding on her latest one, but have another bidder,it finishes on Wed so will bid then and see if i can get it, would love to get that one, retails at $36.99 and is still in the shops.

So have plenty of reading ahead, big books,and still have The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards and Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult to read,keep me going for a long time.

Half way through the Lovely Bones, small book so be finished that one soon, interesting, will get the DVD out when it is released here.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

1984 - classic orwell, excellent excellent and somewhat scary book.

I love reading! I have several books in pdf format that I can put on my phone to read. Planetebook.com has several books for free! I am reading Jane Eyre *for about the 5th time lol* right now, before that I read the Great Gatsby.

Ah my daughter has to read The Great Gatsby for her English, and is reading it now, she is not a big fan of reading ,unlike her mother,she prefers to write stories and is always on the computer writing, some good descriptive stuff too i might add.
    Furangels only lent.

I am reading the Sookie Stackhouse/ True Blood books at the moment, it is a bit of fun to fill in spare time lol. I also started The Dome (or os it Under The Dome???) by Stephen King recently but did not get into it.

After the Sookie books i am going to read Eclipse again to get ready for the movie .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

"The Great Gatsby" is one of my favorites! I envy her reading it for the first time.

Currently reading "The Baron in the Trees" by Italo Calvino. It's delightful!! Didn't know what to expect, but I am enjoying it very much. I'm also listening to James Joyce's "Dubliners" on tape, read by folks like Colm Meany and Frank McCourt. Can't reccomend it enough!!!

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

I'm reading the Twilight series books for the first time. I finished the first book in 24 hours, and that was only during my children's naptime and after they went to bed. Needless to say, I went about 3 days without sleeping much at all because I wasn't able to put the darn books down. I am now almost done with book 4. They are wonderful books, but I like books 1,2 and 3 better then the final book 4. Before I started the Twilight series I read The Lovely Bones and it was a wonderful book. My best friend is going to loan me some David Sedaris books when I'm done with Breaking Dawn. He's supposed to be a hilarious author.

I'm currently reading several books by Michael Koryta. He has a series of mystery stories with the same P.I. They are set in Cleveland, Ohio. As a former resident, I recognize a lot of the streets and landmarks. I find him a good read. Titles:

A Welcome Grave
    Envy the Night
    Tonight I said Goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by AdoreMyDogs View Post
    My best friend is going to loan me some David Sedaris books when I'm done with Breaking Dawn. He's supposed to be a hilarious author.
    He is more than hilarious - he is outrageous!! I absolutely love him! I have most of his works on CD, read by him, and that makes it even better. The best books are "Dress Your Family in Denim and Corduroy", "Naked", "Me Talk Pretty. . ." and his latest "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" (might actually be the best of them all). Some of the earlier stuff is a bit sarcastic and to me, gets obnoxious. He has grown tremendously as a writer and storyteller. I love his work!!

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Catherinedana View Post
    He is more than hilarious - he is outrageous!! I absolutely love him! I have most of his works on CD, read by him, and that makes it even better. The best books are "Dress Your Family in Denim and Corduroy", "Naked", "Me Talk Pretty. . ." and his latest "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" (might actually be the best of them all). Some of the earlier stuff is a bit sarcastic and to me, gets obnoxious. He has grown tremendously as a writer and storyteller. I love his work!!
    That's what my best friend says about him. She LOVES him and quotes him all the time. I'm sure I'll love his books because my best friend and I have such similar taste. I'm glad to know someone else who's into him

LOVE Jodi Picoult!! For Christmas, my hubby gave me a Kindle reader so I have been going through lots of books!! Yesterday I finished one by a new author called The Listener by Shira Nayman. It is a novel set in a psychiatric hospital right after WWII and is about the "shell shock" now more commonly called PTSD.

The book I am reading (rereading) right now is Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. This movie is coming out soon so I wanted to reread it - Dennis Lehane is another very favorite of mine. (Mystic River, Prayers For Rain, Gone Baby Gone...)

Both books are a bit dark but VERY intriguing reads!!