Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: what books are you reading or have read lately...

The Death and Life of Charlie St.Cloud

Truthfully one of the best books I've ever read! I couldn't put it down. I finished it in 3 days, which is amazing since I don't have time to do anything anymore.

"How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. My grandfather gave me the book to help me throughout life before he passed away two years ago... decided to start reading it the other day. VERY good book! Don't know why I didn't start earlier.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

My mom is reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett for her book club. My sister-in-law is reading "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel for her book club. I just started "The Chicago Way" by Michael Harvey, who is from Chicago and is the co-creator of the TV show "Cold Case Files".
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I have started reading "Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Tracy Kidder. It's actually my first college assignment on which I have to write a creative response. I'm only a few pages in, so I can't really tell how much I like the book yet, but it seems like it's going to be good.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

another maeve binchy book, heart and soul, just started it and it is good like all her books, just finished night of rain and stars, was pretty good.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Presently reading the third book in Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy - "Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" - this series is absolutely fantastic - he was an outstanding writer! We rented the first movie - "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and loved it - I can hardly wait to see the second movie - "The Girl Who Played with Fire".

My girlfriend has lent me another book called "Sleeping with Cats" by Marge Piercy - a must read. Third on my current list of to read is "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. Fourth is "Wolf Hall" and fifth is a copy of "Night Train to Lisbon" by Pascal Mercier which I found in a clearance bin at Chapters! I have been wanting to read this book for some years.

The list never ends ...
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

I found "The Short Second Life Of Cree Tanner" marked dow for sale
    yesterday. Might just go back and buy it today. (Twilight Saga) Anybody
    read it yet? Opinions on it?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13 View Post
    Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews.

Not really sure why I'm reading it, but my mother and neighbors have been talking about it and apparently it's really disturbing but you can't stop reading it, so I thought I'd give it a try .
    Very compelling! If you do make it thru this, be sure to followup with Petals in the Wind & If There Be Thorns.

I read these years ago when they were first published. I think I need to go back and read them again...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    My mom is reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett for her book club. My sister-in-law is reading "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel for her book club. I just started "The Chicago Way" by Michael Harvey, who is from Chicago and is the co-creator of the TV show "Cold Case Files".
    Did you read The Help? I did, when it first came out - it is a wonderful book. A movie is going to be made - I hope they do it justice.

BTW, this was Kathryn Stockett's first book. And it is still near the top of the NY Times Best Seller List.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    I found "The Short Second Life Of Cree Tanner" marked dow for sale
    yesterday. Might just go back and buy it today. (Twilight Saga) Anybody
    read it yet? Opinions on it?
    I saw that one the other day too, and was wondering about it. If you get it, let me know what you think.

Robin,

I liked Exclusive. It had a lot of action and moved quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Did you read The Help? I did, when it first came out - it is a wonderful book. A movie is going to be made - I hope they do it justice.

BTW, this was Kathryn Stockett's first book. And it is still near the top of the NY Times Best Seller List.

I read, "The Help". It was a very good read.

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    another maeve binchy book, heart and soul, just started it and it is good like all her books, just finished night of rain and stars, was pretty good.
    I am reading, "The Copper Beech" right now. Very good.

Ah Johanna that is about the only one i have not bought so far, I have Tara Road,Evening Class,Quentins,firefly summer, circle of friends, silver wedding,the glass lake,all to read yet, and two others i am bidding on,lol. do you think maybe i am a fan?

Got Jodi Piccoults the tenth circle to read as well,and paullina simons The girl in Times Square and a book by an author i do not know,but have heard of, Lillies for Love by felicity Pulman, my only brand new book bought on discount online.

Yep think i am getting quite a maeve binchy library, hoping to pick up echoes and another this weekend as well, from a seller in my city.

When i see the price of new books i just cringe, got better things to spend my money on, and they are called three gorgeous kitties.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post

I didn't. The copy my mom has is due at the library today, and she can't renew it because someone else is waiting for it. She's going to put both of us on the waiting list for it when she takes it back. Their library sends an e-mail to remind you that your book is due, how nice is that?!

I saw a 50th anniversary copy of "To Kill a Mockingbird" at Borders. I read it in the ninth grade but I don't remember it well. Sometimes I say to myself I really should re-read some of the books I was assigned in school- like that and "The Great Gatsby" for example, just for their importance in the world of literature.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Midwinter sacrifice from Mons Kallentoft. Great book too, in Millenium's spirit.