Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: what books are you reading or have read lately...

Have just read The Shack - twice! Was so good that the minute I finished it I read it all over again

http://theshackbook.com/

I have just won my auction and have picked up Paullina Simons Road to Paradise and i might win the her newest one, if not the lady i got this book from has it on loan to a friend and i can buy it off her.

I have just joined a book swap on line and received my first book, i am not up on many authors so just trying a few out, this one is Scarlett Feather by Maeve Binchy, anyone know her books at all.

I cannot afford retail prices for books, so buying secondhand on line and the swap club costs me nothing, i am finding it a good way to get my reading in, i have so many books to read now.

We have all the Twilight ones, the moon, etc,but i have not read any of them,not quite my type of stories, but my Melissa enjoys them, although not much of a reader she likes them, and is reading the Da Vinci Code, which she really enjoys, she actually does not like the Great Gatsby,but has to read it for school.

Keep posting i enjoy your feedback, and am getting to learn new authors and interesting books.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by Pawsitive Thinking View Post
    Have just read The Shack - twice! Was so good that the minute I finished it I read it all over again

http://theshackbook.com/
    Awesome book! Bawled my eyes out, but a fantastic read.

I have gotten into Lisa Gardner books lately. I love a good mystery. Just started The Next Accident. So far so good!

gosh, I'm still reading Stephen King's "Under the Dome"... it's just not very compelling. Science fiction doesn't really thrill me, but Dave got it for me, so I'm reading it, lol.

Sara Dessen's "Lock and Key" is a young adult novel, about a girl who is abandoned by her mother and ends up living with her older sister, whom she thought abandoned the family, but turns out the mother is the one who lied about most everything. The story line is a good one, but slows down here and there.

Lastly, Hanna Jansen's (German novelist) "Over One Thousand Hills I Walk With You", a story that was told to her by her adopted daughter, Jeanne, who is originally from Rwanda, and is about the Hutus and the Tutsis and the genocide that followed. It's classified as fiction by the company I got it from, but it's actually a memoir. So far, very good.

Carole, Maeve Binchy is wonderful; she makes really believable characters! If you enjoy "Scarlett Feather" try "Quentins" as well as the characters are intertwined and it's very good to read from both sides. She is from Ireland and has written lots of really good novels and short stories too.

I love reading Robert Heinlein books especially the ones with Lazurus Long in them, "Time Enough for Love" and "To Sail Beyond The Sunset" are my favourites.

I just love to read and spend most of my spare time doing just that!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for that, it will be a while before i get to that book, but i am looking forward to it, i am just trying all authors as i am not up on who is who just yet, and seeing who i like, have swapped for a Barbara Bradford Taylor book, think i got the name right,these cost me zero so if i don't like them nothing lost.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I stopped buying books years ago as they are far too pricey.
    I am raeding the Complete Terry and the Pirates by Milt Caniff and now the complete Dick Tracy by Chester Gould.
    I wish the comic strips of the day were more than gag strips, where are the adventure strips of yesteryear
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I am currently reading Alex and Me by Irene Pepperburg. It is a great book about how animals communicate, and the kind of bond an animal and a human can have.

9. Currently reading The Last Song - Nicholas Sparks. but dont think i'll finish it for personal reasons.

I'm about to start "The Outermost House" by Henry Beston...due to a quote I read in the puzzle here posted by Karen! I liked the quote so much I looked up the book at Overstock and ordered it.

As far as Maeve Binchy, by the way, the classic of hers is "Circle of Friends" of course, but I've read A LOT of her books. If anyone is looking for a specific one, PM me and I'll see if I have it. I'll mail it on to you.

Happy reading y'all!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I just read the Lovely Bones! ehe, i thought it was very good.

Recently...I haven't read too much lately [I usually finish about 2 books a week but I've been on spring break so not so much] but I read Slaughterhouse 5, the Bell Jar, the Da Vinci Code and the Crucible.

For my honors LA class, we can only read books off this AP list my teacher found (hence the Slaughterhouse 5 & the Bell Jar). There's like, 100 books on it so I have to dig that out to bring to my next library visit.
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

Hi Carole,

If you enjoy Maeve Binchy's books, you might also like to read Rosamund Pilcher - she has a whole series of novels that are really heart warming. "September" and "Shell Seekers" were probably my favourites. Her son Robin, has also written some novels along the same genre.

Recently I have read the 6-book Wilderness series by Sara Donati and just loved it!! Her first book is called "Into the Wilderness" and the series goes on for 5 more books, each one excellent. I would recommend starting at the beginning and reading each book in sequence. It is a historical novel about a young English woman who came to America in the mid-1700's and her life as it evolved - the characters are all memorable; it is so easy to get immersed in this saga - very well written.

Enjoy!
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Picked up some wonderful free books in the Book Room at our recycle centre:

A Beautiful Mind, which I have not yet read.

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. He was a contemporary of Dickens, and this novel was first serialized in a magazine of the period. Very enjoyable and well written.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - have read it before, but was worth latching on to.

The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People - will read it if it rains for a week straight, all my housework is done, and I have no jobs - oh, and if I have washed my hair...It's one of those "good for me" books. Bleah. But it was popular and I want to have a look to see why.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I finished Alex and Me...I will be reading it again for sure!!! I reccomend it for anyone that loves animals, such a beautiful story although some of the technical aspects of the book may put some people off (I liked the techy parts myself)

Quote Originally Posted by DJFyrewolf36 View Post
    I finished Alex and Me...I will be reading it again for sure!!! I reccomend it for anyone that loves animals, such a beautiful story although some of the technical aspects of the book may put some people off (I liked the techy parts myself)
    Have you read "Homer's Odssey"? It is a wonderful book by Gwen Cooper about her life with an amazing blind cat.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu