Thread: Does your cat NOT see things that ARE there?

Does your cat NOT see things that ARE there?

Have you ever tried to point something out to your cat, like a spider that desperately needs killing, and the cat acts like he/she can't see a thing? I've also pointed out interesting things in the backyard, like squirrels and chipmunks, and he just stares blankly past them (this is through the window, of course - no chance of him actually getting the rodents). Then there was the time that I had him outside on his leash and harness (which he tolerates only to get some fresh air), and he was so busy waiting for a particular chipmunk to emerge from a hole in the tree, that he didn't see a mouse that ran literally past his nose, about 3 inches in front of him.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

If I show Tilly a spider, she's all over it.. and I'm SO thankful!!! But sometimes I will point stuff out in the yard and they don't see it, but I think sometimes that is their way of saying "I don't have to listen to you"

Corkscrew is like that. If HE sees a bug or a fly he's all over it, but when I try to point him to a bug that needs to be killed he looks at me like "I don't understand what you're pointing at"
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I have gradually (and reluctantly) learned that I can't point my finger and have the kids look at what I'm pointing at. They just look at my finger, if I'm lucky. Considering how much more schooling I've had than they have, wouldn't you think I should catch on faster than this?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Originally posted by Nomilynn
    , but I think sometimes that is their way of saying "I don't have to listen to you"
    I just thought they were saying"Whaaaaat????" in that winey little voice that ads "Yea? What do you want me to do about it?"

Oh, yes! I've noticed Mikey, my deaf cat doesn't see very well. You know how if you see movement out of the corner of your eye? Well, he doesn't. If I'm trying to get his attention, I'll flutter my fingers, or wave my arms he doesn't notice. Of course, he is a cat--he might just be ignoring me. I think sound has a lot to do with sight for cats. I just read something to that applies. Watch when a cat is after a mouse. As long as the mouse is moving around they're right on it, but when the mouse (or spider!) stops, it's like the mouse changes into stealth mode. The cat looses it.
    Has anyone read or actually seen that cats have poor or no periferal vision?

Attempting to point things out to a cat is useless because they only detect motion with their sight. Therefore they will only place their attention on that which I am pointing with. Does any one out there have any ideas on how to point things out to a cat, without them following the pointer?

.........wayne

now that you guys mention it, that may explain a lot about why you can't point out a still object. If I throw a toy and they do not see where it goes I have tried to point it out but they just don't get it. I never thought about them only seeing motion. It must be true.
    '

Wayne, I have held their head and moved it where I want it to be with great success. Course, often it is just to look at me so I can have a more meaningful conversation with them...

Beau doesn't see the lazer beam. I don't want to shine it in his face.

Wow, I'd totally forgotten. In cases where it seemed important, I'd pick up the cat, aim him/her at whatever, and slowly rotate him/her. Sometimes that would help them notice what I wanted them to see. (Boy, my memory is bad. However could I have forgotten that (or my friends reaction to seeing it? ))
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I think this is a typical thing to do for cats !! Instead of looking to where I am pointing at , they look at my finger .... ! Small kids have this habbit too , but of course , they learn where to look as they grow up ! A cat is just a cat , with cat manners ..!