Thread: Does this sound familiar?

Does this sound familiar?

Recently, I was diagnosed with A. A. A. D. D. - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests: I decide to wash my car.

As I start toward the garage, I notice that there is mail on the hall table.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car. I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the trash can under the table, and notice that the trash can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the trash first. But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the trash anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my checkbook off the table, and see that there is only one check left My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go to my desk where I find the can of Coke that I had been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Coke aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. I see that the Coke is getting warm, and I decide I should put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold. As I head toward the kitchen with the coke a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye--they need to be watered.

I set the Coke down on the counter, and I discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning. I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers. I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly I spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers. I splash some water on the flowers, but most of it spills on the floor. So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: the car isn't washed, the bills aren't paid, there is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter, the flowers aren't watered, there is still only one check in my checkbook, I can't find the remote, I can't find my glasses, and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired. I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail.

Do me a favor, will you? Forward this message to everyone you know, because I don't remember to whom it has been sent.

Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY.
    GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
    LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC!

And this is how I came to post this; I thought I'd clean out some old e-mails while waiting for the coffee to brew - I came across this and thought, I'll post it on PT. As I head to the kitchen, I see Fister's litterbox is dry... I better put some litter in it before he needs to go, then I see the corridor needs sweeping, there's litter all over the place, so I do that and then fill the litterbox. Now, my coffee is almost cold!
    Last edited by Randi; 02-27-2010 at 09:55 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Finally, a name for our disorder....A.A.A.D.D!!! I like.....or I think I do...what were we talking about? LOL
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

Could you say that again? I was listening to my head...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Mmh, not sure it is only Age Activated But that explains why when colleagues ask me on Monday what I have done during the week-end, I am not able to tell about anything special or interesting although I have been busy the whole week-end!

Just looking at my extremely dirty car (due salt they put on the roads) through the house window, now I remember I planned to wash it...two weeks ago

Oh, and just after posting my previous message I had to warm the water for my tea for the third time!

Sheesh, and they say women are multi tasking experts.
    What chance have we men then ????
    I have AIDS (Alcohol Induced Dementia Syndrome)

"I'm Back !!"

Sounds like a typical day for me!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I think I ended up on Pet Talk because I walked by my computer on the way to
    let Koko out to do her..................got to go forgot Koko.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

I just got this emailed to me at work this week. LOVE it!!
    I have this disorder when I am cleaning house. I always get side-tracked and forget what I was originally doing. I'm so glad I'm not alone.

THAT'S why my house is never clean!!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Oh Randi - this is so funny and SO TRUE!! It sounds like a typical day for me Too bad you do not live closer - we could help each other remember (or forget!) what we are doing!!

This is how hubby acts every day. I have asked, begged, pleaded, threathened, yelled, cried and done everything possible to get him to go see a therapist, finally I just said the hell with him and I ignore him and do my own thing. You can't change someone, only yourself and that is what I did. It's still funny to watch him sometimes but mostly I am in another room. The best part is when he opens the fridge looks at me and says
    "what am I looking for" sometimes I tell him the right thing and sometimes I want a laugh and just confuse him somemore.

Yes! I have the same "disorder". I am glad I am not alone. Okay, now I have to go finish the 9 projects I started and didn't finish today.

Oh dear another one here who can relate.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2 View Post
    This is how hubby acts every day. I have asked, begged, pleaded, threathened, yelled, cried and done everything possible to get him to go see a therapist, finally I just said the hell with him and I ignore him and do my own thing. You can't change someone, only yourself and that is what I did.
    I GO to a therapist! ..every two weeks, plus a shrink every couple of months for medications. I go on and on to them both, over and over, about my absent-mindness and clumsiness and confusion, which is just getting me more and more frustrated and more angry.

I've always been something of a Space Shot, but seems it's been getting noticeably worse over just the last year or two. Age-related acceleration maybe? So far anyway, therapy has not been helpful at all, either the talk-type or the medical, with regard to my ...A.A.A.D.D.? (I've been seeing them both for quite a while for many other reasons besides this.)
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery