Thread: Humping

Humping

Mikey is overall - a pretty good dog. He doesn't pee in the house anymore or poop, he isn't bad at all. But he has the embarrassing tendency to constantly HUMP something, whether it be people or pillows and even a manatee stuffed animal I have in my room. It's not only kind of nasty, but also very embarrasing. I know it's also showing dominance, and obviously I don't want him thinking he has dominance over us. But he does it alot, and I was wondering a few ways to make him stop. I've tried the water-bottle method and it works at first, but after awhile he just ignores it.

Humping is not always just a dominance issue. It can also be a sexual thing sort of like mastrubation which gives the dog an intense gratifying experience. Even after the dog is neutered it can sometimes take a long time for the dog to realize those feelings are no longer the pinnicle of feeling that they once were but the dog will continue the behavior remembering it.

This is not an easy thing to stop if it is a sexual thing. Short of constantly being there to disturb the dog while it is in the humping behavior, you can try using a belly band on the dog. This has had some success if the behavior is sexual in nature. I am assuming that is the issue since he humps pillows and stuffed toys also.

Humping is never a dominance thing because dogs do not try to dominate humans or other dogs. Not even wild wolves function in this fashion as previously thought.

Humping can be caused by many things. I've known long since neutered males who hump for England....I live in England, lol...then I know unneutered ones who never humped....so it isn't always hormonal either.

Saying that, one of my bitches started trying it with me when we were fussing each other on the floor....it was almost like an affection thing but she hasn't done it since being spayed so it was probably also hormonal. She's a very intense bitch when it comes to emotions.

I'm sure some other dogs hump purely out of enjoyment or as a gesture of affection even....even stress can cause humping because it is a self rewarding behaviour that might help to relieve the stress.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

Digi is a female & she likes to be sexual with herself everyday, for a good hr or so.... The more I leave her alone the faster she is done... i can't even look at her cause she'll stop, then she has to start all over again & thats sooooooo not what i want...

Just because the dog is fixed doesn't mean anything..Adult men get fixed ALL the time & they STILL masturbate... it's all about the feeling.. Its a good feeling... it just sucks when your DOG learns about it & enjoys it... too often... lol

Luckily with Digi I'll never have to worry about her doing that with guests around, cause she needs privacy... well sorta... shes driven by attention & if you look at her thats all she needs to be happy & to stop doing whenever she was doing.. so when guests are over its all about the attention.

Just be glad he doesn't use his tongue & paws like Digi does... trust me, its faaaar more embarrassing lol

Wow, great posts guys. Thanks for educating me a bit more on this topic. I guess I'll just have to wait till he gets out of this habit. He is neutered by the way, so I doubt it has anything to do with that issue. Thanks for the info guys!