Thread: I think I've finally found my college major

I think I've finally found my college major

Now, I'm not one to listen to people when they say things that go against my dreams, but I did for awhile. I was told by some people I wouldn't make any money out of the career choice I wanted, I was told by several others I wasn't smart enough to be a science major - and some of them were joking, but it still really hurt to hear people say that because I really do love my intelligence for sciences(wow, do I sound self-absorbed?). I don't know what made me open my eyes, but I've decided to do one thing that has always been at the top of my list, courtesy of dear old dad, Marine Science. I love Marine life, I love swimming, and I love hands-on work, wildlife, animals, science..a 9-5 office job wasn't going to cut it for me. I'm sure you guys remember some of my threads when I was wracking my brain trying to think of what to do with my life, I DO NOT get why I listened to anyone. I don't get why I let people get to me, when the answer was in front of me the entire time. My dad was going to be a Marine Bio major, but back then, there was not a demand for it really and he gave upon it - of course now he regrets it and my parents are my biggest cheerleaders in this entire thing. I think, for my dad anyway, it's a way of achieving his dreams in a way too.

I have located a school where I will not need to dorm at or anything that will get me a "BS in Marine and Enviormental Sciences" - which also kills two birds with one stone, since I LOVE enviormental science too. I have been looking at Caroline Coastal as well, but...it's pretty far and I would have to dorm there. I know I need to think of what's best for my future and stop worrying about dorming, but there are other options. Plus, I do PLAN on going to graduate school, so I can look into going there for that. Wow, I'm thinking way to far into the future.

Anyway, I really am finally satisfied with my decision for now. I have a GREAT backing as I have taken an agriculture studies program the last 3 years in high school, and my senior year(still struggling on through junior year) I will be taking 3 science courses - Zoology, Marine Science, and Animal Science. I would love to get a PhD someday in marine mammals, but I'll wait till I get accepted to college first before I think about that.

Sorry for the long drawn-out thread (as always) but I was wondering if any of you guys may have advice for me, even opinions?

I say sometimes people pursue a career for the money and comfortable, secure living it will provide. Others pursue a career because it's what they love doing and the thought of doing it for a job is even better. I think it's all a matter of personal preference. Now-a-days the only thing with either choice is the amount of student debt on loans to get the education for the career, that's the scary part.

It's you life, do what you envision for your future, research into what you're interested in, check tuition fees, and possible employment oportunities in your field of choice. Take time to write down all the pros/cons of your decision and then decide. Whatever you come up with is right for YOU.

Don't know how much help that was, but that's my .02 cents worth anyways.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I think you should study what makes you happy- and you always have time to change your mind, since many classes you need to take during your first year of college are general requirements. I also think attending a college where you can live at home is a good idea if that's what you want. I didn't want to live in the dorms either (too many parties and drinking), so I lived with my mom for a few years then got my own apartment. Plus living at home saves money!

Good luck with whatever you decide- marine science sounds very cool!

I say try what you want....You have plenty of time to investigate job opportunities, etc. After you get into school, you may even discover something else....I say go for it!!!
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

Sounds like you have a plan, your lucky there is a program near you.

My daughter will for sure go away My neighbors daughter wants to major in Marine Biology, she has applied in Monterey, Ca. which is about 4 hours from us.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I think that sounds like fun and I think you sound like a very smart person and could do whatever you wanted!! Good Luck with everything!!!!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Congratulations, go for it, and see where the road takes you!
    I've Been Frosted

Good for you, smartie pants! I say..Follow your Dream. Do what makes YOU happy. If I knew then (1968 h.s. grad) what I know now, I'd be in the human or animal medical field.

Junior year sucked. I found it so hard. I wracked my brains. But senior year was a breeze. Hang in there sweetie. I'm proud of you.
    Huge hugs!

I've been Boooo'd!