Thread: Exotics anyone?

Exotics anyone?

I was wondering who here owns or breeds exotic pets? I would love to see what exotics people own! I currently have a few exotics and will be aquiring more on the 19th and 20th when I go to the Exotic Animal Expo in Hillsboro, OR. I can't wait. So can I please see pictures? I know a few people here had hedgies. I will try to take some pictures of myhedgehog and other critters tonight. I just thought it would be nice for those people who do not get to see exotics very much.

Oh, if only I did, my life would be (sort of) complete. I don't, but I know if lots of websites that do have photos and information about exotic pets. If you want any, let me know!

Oh I've seen tons of websites, I was just curious who here at Pet Talk has exotic pets and pictures! Pictures Pictures Pictures! I want to see pictures, small please though or the mods might get mad at me, hehe.

I used to work at T&D'S Cats of the world. I worked and bonded with a Coyote named Lady. She knew me and everytiem I came up to the cage she would jump in the air real high. She knew how to catch food in her mouth. She was so cute!

I also worked with Siberian Tigers, Lions, MT Lions, A wolf Hybred, Bears, Deer, Goats (lol), Skunks, Fowl Deer, Emu's umm probly some other things. We had alot of parots and parakeets and some red tial hawks. The leemer Julian, Lady and A deer named Theo were my fav animals. The deer lived in a lrage pen, and whne I yelled Theo he would come arunin cause I always fed him. Lady would pac and hide whenever anyone came close to her cage. But I would sit infront of it and talk softly to her and she would come out and sit in front and catch food for me. Julian would hold onto your hand when you fed him. Liek a little kid. He was so cute and he would eat and stare at you then grab for more. He was so adorable. The only interaction I had with the larger cats was I got to pet a Lion named Simba. It was the neatest experince, being that close to such a large creature.

Well those don't really count because they aren't mine. But thats pretty much the only experinces I have had with exotic aimals. Besides Robie my pet squirrle and all the Starlings I have rescued. They were fun.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

The only exotic animals I've ever really handled (besides my rat, he's kind of considered exotic) are wolf hybrids. I knew a lady who had a dog that was 75%Grey wolf and 25% GSD, and one that was 75% Grey wold and 25% Malamute. The malalmute hybrid was very shy, and I never really got that close to her, but the GSD hybrid was a sweetheart. I was much more cautious around them than of other dogs, but they were sweeties. Oh yes, and then I've held been around coyote pups and a dingo (I cant believe I forgot those). My grandpa found abandoned coyote pups. He called the local wildlife refuge, only 1 of the pups made it. She had to stay in captivity because of brain damage. And the dingo belonged to a friend (she had him imported from Australia, I still dont know why).

Oh yes, I worked in our school's Raptor Center, and I got to hold the screech owls. Those are great animals.
    Luvv > Rachel, Jackson Redd, Master Splinter, and Pig Pen

My ImageStation
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291529791

I have been around too many exotics it is ridiculous, lol! And stillI can't stay away. When I was twelve we had a coyot hybrid and a purebred wolf. The wolves name was Mathew and he was the runt of the litter. The other more dominant pups chewed off his ears. But, when he grew up he turned out to be the biggest of them all and soon became the alpha male. His grandmother was stolen from the San Diego Zoo in the last 70's, although no one ever gave me the details and we weren't the ones who did it! Just wanted to point that out, hehe.

The coyotes name was Daringer. She was a very timid girl and only liked a few select people. Mathew was the only other dog she would go near and they were the best of friends. Sadly Mathew went to a new home and Daringer died from cancer. I sure miss them pups!

As far as wildlife I have been around tons of it, it seems to venture home with me now and then.

Exotics I have been around include:

Silka deer, Muntjac deer, Fallow deer, lynx, bobcat, and weird things most people here wouldn't know of. Oh and of course my skunky wunkie!

Tell us about the exotic animals you have been around that are different. You might be surprised by some of the people on this board - all walks of life and from all over.

well here is one of the animals for instance, rock cavies. I have these and they are like so unheard of it is unbeleivable! And there is like nothing out there on them, even on the internet. Just a few sites about them in zoos and that's it. If anyone has anymore info on them please tel me, pretty please! I would be forever greatful.

Well I know people have heard of these but they are not as common as other exotics. Coatis, pantagonian cavies, bushbabies. Those kind of things.

I'll scan my pictures of the cavies and size down my rock cavies pics. Or if I ever get batteries I will just snap some. Oh yes, and the Geofrroys Cat. You can see a pic of him in my post about him in Cat General!

An old friend had 2 pure wolves & he said they were just like big dogs, friendly, protective of his home & great with his very young children, there names were Teddy & Sarah.

I own a 2 yr 3 month old Common Snapping turtle, not many people with one of those.

HAHAHAHAHA... sorry, he just yawned, its the first time I've seen him do that since he was the size of my hand (over 1 1/2 yrs ago).

ummm.. oh ya, an old friend of mine had a barn cat/bob cat mix, he was a big larger then the avg. house cat, he was declawed & his paws were huge, his mouth was huge & his teeth were the size of a med. dog. He cat was supper friendly & loved to be patted & held & he always slept on the bed or on my pillow, when I stayed the night. We had to put a bell on him because he was killing hundreds of mice, rats, voles & baby rabbits, the front yard was gross, there were kills all over it & I mean all over. The funny thing is that the cat ended up killing more animals with the bell on.

I think my Tiger Oscar, Jack Dempsey & 3 Red Devils might count.

To see pics of thim go to my website thats listed in my signature.

Exotic Pets

My dad has many friends who do have or used to have some pretty werid pets. Duane had a black bear named Bozo, who loved marshmallows and black jelly beans. He also had River Otters, which were very adorable. There was a deer (buck) that would come in his yard everyday- and loved the attention of people. Somebody must have raised him when he was a fawn, then released him. He had a red tie around his neck and we called him Bucky. I loved to give him kisses, and he'd nuzzle me back. my dad's other friend Mark took care of abandoned babies that he found- mainly squirrels. Jim has peacocks, guinea hens, a llama, and some weird exotic waterfowl (amung 100's of other animals.) Thats it for me.

Yes I would diffenately say the snapping turtle counts! I have a California Desert Tortoise. ALthought these are protected species they are available for adoption through the Joshua Tree Toroise Rescue, so if anyone wants to adopt a tortoise check out their site. Here is the link:JTTR

A black bear, wow! Some people have river otters as pets too. They sure are cute! I will be ading some new critters to our house this weekend. I will be aquiring two female hoglets, baby hedgehogs. One cinnamon and one Snowflake to breed with my male chocolate hedgie. Then I will also be getting three pair of Short Tailed Opposums. And this weekend is when I pick up my Geoffroys kitten! Whoo hooo! Boy, I will have a lot to bring home this week. I am sure there will be something else at the expo that will catch my attention. hehe

Right now I have a rough green tree snake. Well, actually it is my son's snake, but he's pretty cute.

In the past I had a box turtle, that I rescued from animal control. I also had a six foot long iguana, that I got from some people who didn't know how to care for him properly.

I'm not really too into exotic animals, I prefer to stick with dogs.

I used to have a smooth green snake, not for long tho I called him/her Slinky.