Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Else Is Getting Ready for Yet Another Nor'Easter Snow Storm?

Who Else Is Getting Ready for Yet Another Nor'Easter Snow Storm?

Sections of the East Coast(USA) are gearing up for another pretty bad snow storm.
    It's been such an odd winter.
    The Pocono areas in PA have gotten about 15" of snow this season, the sea shore town of Cape May, NJ, has gotten 31"! and another foot or more to come tonight into Saturday.

I'm just hoping the wind doesn't get too bad in my area for us to lose power. Not to mention wind just freaks me out.

Last I heard on Thursday evening weather (I'm afraid to look this morning incase it's gotten worse) we are in the area to get 8-14" of snow and wind gusts up to 40+mph between 9am and 3pm Saturday. Shore areas in NJ may have an actual blizzard and are under blizzard warnings last I knew. Our poor coastal towns & beaches have been getting hammered once or twice a month with these storms since September(rain or snow with each storm; beach erosion & flooding).

They say it's all because of the El Nino year, it's an "upside down winter" and it's "southern snow"...I think this El Nino year has lasted long enough and it's time for it to go away! Our area often doesn't get hit with ONE snow storm that brings a foot or more of snow...In December we had 23" and now probably another foot, maybe more.

I hope any of you on this board who are in the storms path will remain safe. Stock up on what you need, settle in at home and stay there!

I can't wait til Spring gets here!
    ~~Pat: Mom to (L-R in siggy)Philly, Piper, Molly & Kit

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm right in the line of fire here. We've had blizzard warnings up since yesterday, with up to 24" of snow in this area. It's supposed to start snowing later this afternoon, but looks like it could start at just about any time.

This is year 7 since the last really bad winter, and it seems to happen like clockwork every 7 years. Some years we get barely any snow at all, and not too many years ago, got none. I knew this year would be a bad one, and I guessed it right.

Just gonna stay home where it's warm, and hope the power doesn't go out!
    Last edited by pomtzu; 02-05-2010 at 07:30 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Indeed, we're just not used to heavy snow falls, and especially not 2 in one season around here!
    Lets keep those prayers/vibes/meditations going that neither of us lose power.
    If we lose power we have no water, no heat, the pipes that carry the water for the baseboard hot water heat upstairs could burst and flood the house...not to mention losing the modern conveniences like lights, tv, and computer!

No power = no nothin'!!! This house is all electric. I have a fireplace, but it hasn't been used and years, so I would be leery of using it - even if I had any firewood! I could always drag the gas grill into the garage for cooking if need be I suppose.
    Living in the country isn't all that great when it comes to snow storms. Clearing main roads is a priority, so we are on the bottom of the totem pole. I have a hair appointment on Tuesday, but that might be "iffy" if we get dumped on like they say.
    I like snow, but we've had enough to suit me this year.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

We're outside of Ocean City MD and we're supposed to get a ton of snow; quite unusual for this area. We moved down from Baltimore to get AWAY from winters like these, but our 8 year charm has been tarnished.

I've dug out of a lot of storms, but this one looks MEAN!

Just hope our heat pump holds on.......................

Stay tuned.
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

I know! We aren't exactly country, although originally this location WAS many years ago. We're considered rural for this area.
    But try explaining to city folks why power failure means nothing. Many city folks can still have heat if they lose electric because of gas heat, most won't lose their water due to electric loss.
    We have our own well so no electric means no pump to pump the water to the house, so you can't even flush the toilet.
    Our stove is gas but electric fired, but we CAN at least light it with a match if we have to.
    Our furnace is oil fired but ignited electrically!

We used to have kerosene heaters for emergency heat but not anymore...we learned no matter how well you maintained them, they just created too much soot.

We're on the edge of the snow system. We'll either get 6" or missed completely. But based on the way the outside looks and feels at the moment, I honestly think we're going to be slammed. We were missed by every storm so far this year.

I'm hoping we get slammed - that way I get to go home from work early tonight and off tomorrow! hee hee hee.

Neither my husband or I can shovel and we have no snow blower nor any neighbors who can shovel for us...unless my tenants son is home this weekend, then we can get him to at least shovel a path to the mail box. Our driveway is fairly big and even with 4-wheel drive truck, the plows doing the road creates an issue for us getting out onto the road.

The thought of losing power really makes me nervous, and as I mentioned, wind is not my friend. I don't know what it is about wind...it can be a beautiful sunny day but if the wind is strong, I am just a bundle of nerves. Add it to cold and snow and possible power loss in winter months, and I'm a basket case.

catnapper, I'll tell the storm to skip us and hit you, then! LOL!

When you get older, can't shovel, fear power loss and pipes bursting, snow is no fun anymore.

There was a time we'd welcome snow, when we were young and still had our snowmobiles.

getting ready!

Here in the Pittsburgh area they're predicting a grand total of 8-12" of snow by saturday midday. We haven't had that much snow at one time in at least ten years! Being a resident has it's advantages in that I don't have to drive in this stuff or SHOVEL IT!! However I do worry about the people who have to travel and clean their sidewalks. On our local news, they are calling this storm "Stormzilla"!

Quote Originally Posted by Momto4FemaleFelines View Post
    catnapper, I'll tell the storm to skip us and hit you, then! LOL!

When you get older, can't shovel, fear power loss and pipes bursting, snow is no fun anymore.

There was a time we'd welcome snow, when we were young and still had our snowmobiles.
    Heck, I don't have to be older to worry about no heat and exploding pipes! I'm just lookingforward to a lot of snow that keeps people in their homes so I can work on the house some more.

I am NOT looking forward to the snow melting, and then dripping into the computer room. We have repaired that roof several times and its not fixed.

We're on well water too, and what I have done in the past if it looks like we might lose power, is to fill a bathtub with water. Then at least you have water to flush toilets and brush your teeth. I have 3 full baths, so I might fill at least one tub, just to be on the safe side.
    No snow blower here either, and the driveway is 100' long. My son was tempted to buy a blower yesterday, but there are none to be had anywhere. Seems almost like a waste of money since it could be used so seldom, but this year has him rethinking the issue!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

David,
    We won't have to drive, but the other worries are still there. We should be just fine as long as we don't lose power. But losing power is a real possibility if the wind is too bad.

catnapper, sorry to hear about the leak! Must be very frustrating! I will wish you "no drips" then!

Pomtzu, we never made the expense of a snow blower either because it was so rare we'd need one. Sitting unused is not good for those kinds of things so we figured it would be a waste to have one.
    It's why we got rid of our snowmobiles. It just seemed like winter didn't mean snow for this area anymore...or very little, certainly not enough to use the snowmobiles in. And we didn't have the luxury of being able to travel to places that had snow.