Thread: cats & extreme winter conditions

cats & extreme winter conditions

Hi Folks! First time poster here with a question.

This last weekend, my 2 year old cat Pilot decided to run off during a bit of a snow and ice storm. She stays inside for the most part, as I don't want her getting run over by a car. (this has happened to 3 of my pets already) Normally when she gets out though, there aren't 8 inches of ice and snow on the ground, and it's not 15 degrees below freezing. When I noticed she was missing, of course I went on a search, with no luck. I got pretty worried, she's got a relatively short coat, and although she's getting a bit tubby in the belly, shes not a large or fat cat. (was the runt of her litter even) The next night, well over 24 hrs later, she was waiting in the driveway when i got home, completely unscathed. So my question! Should i have been worried about the cold and snow? I know felines are resourceful, but how cold is too cold?

Welcome, Jed!

Likely your concern about cars is enough - good for you for making her an indoor kitty! They can get sneaky though, can't they?

I don't know how cold is too cold...but others here might be able to answer.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Erp has been out overnight in sub zero temps before, Im sure she has a warm place to hole up however. She hasent wanted to go out much this winter and on colder days Im not inclined to let her even though she has been very content to be an indoor kitteh this winter.

During the summers she lets herself out open windows, I dont worry about cars because Im on the edge of the boonys. Im not too concerned about the neighbors dogs either because most of them are scared of my 10# Mr Kitty.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

WELCOME!!!!!

Although I don't believe letting pets outside unsupervised (I take MooShoo out, but only in his kitty stroller, as he's a Sphynx). Cats will never stray far from their food source. Your kitty might be somewhere around the perimeter of your house.

When cold enough, they also find ways and places to get out of the elements, even if it's under a porch, deck, etc. I am NOT condoning tossing a cat out in freezing weather.

I'm sure he'll come back. Please let us know!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    I'm sure he'll come back. Please let us know!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed C. View Post
    The next night, well over 24 hrs later, she was waiting in the driveway when i got home, completely unscathed. So my question!..
    Oops, I should have separated that out better in my first post! She was back the next night, perfectly fine

my pets are all indoor animals they hate cold and shiver when they go out if its freezing outside same with my cat bacardi so id proberly say if there indoor pets then they sure do feel the cold .