Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punxatawney Phil

Punxatawney Phil

Old Punxatawney Phil saw his shadow again this morning. So that means six more weeks of winter for us (as if we didn't know it already!). Did any of the other groundhog predictors not see their shadows?

Gee, I don't know how he saw his shadow...I've been up since 7:15am Eastern US time and am not far from Philadelphia, though I'm not sure where Phil does his shadow thing...I never pay attention to the "seeing the shadow thing". But, it's been nothing but cloudy here all morning!
    I have a ground hog around my property(probably more than one) but I haven't seen him/her/then in a while.
    ~~Pat: Mom to (L-R in siggy)Philly, Piper, Molly & Kit

Our Canadian groundhog also saw his shadow. Guess winter's here to stay for a while yet.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

One good thing, I didn't see one PETA (ugh!) protester in sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Momto4FemaleFelines View Post
    Gee, I don't know how he saw his shadow...I've been up since 7:15am Eastern US time and am not far from Philadelphia, though I'm not sure where Phil does his shadow thing...I never pay attention to the "seeing the shadow thing". But, it's been nothing but cloudy here all morning!
    I have a ground hog around my property(probably more than one) but I haven't seen him/her/then in a while.
    Pat, Phil does his predictions in Punxatawney, Pa, which is about 60 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by davidpizzica View Post
    Old Punxatawney Phil saw his shadow again this morning. So that means six more weeks of winter for us (as if we didn't know it already!). Did any of the other groundhog predictors not see their shadows?
    You mean, he really exists? I may sound kinda stupid now, but I thought this was only a story made up for a Hollywood movie? LOL

Kirsten

I thought if he saw his shadow it meant ONLY 6 more weeks of winter, which is a good thing. Did I send my child to school this am with wrong folklore?

Kirsten, Phil has been a tradition here in western Pennsylvania for over a century. According to records, Phil has seen his shadow 93 times, he has not not seen it (I think) 14 times, and 9 times it wasn't recorded. It's a real tradition and unofficial holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by davidpizzica View Post
    Kirsten, Phil has been a tradition here in western Pennsylvania for over a century. According to records, Phil has seen his shadow 93 times, he has not not seen it (I think) 14 times, and 9 times it wasn't recorded. It's a real tradition and unofficial holiday!
    Wow, that is cool! Were is predictions always correct?

Kirsten

Copied from http://www.teachervision.fen.com/gro...nts/31829.html
    The groundhog is another name for a woodchuck. According to legend, the hibernating groundhog comes out of its burrow on February 2. If it sees its shadow, it gets frightened and scurries back into its burrow. This means six more weeks of winter. If it's cloudy and the groundhog does not see its shadow, it does not get frightened, and stays outside. This means a mild spring. February is also a breeding time for the groundhogs, so that may have something to do with why they surface from their burrow.
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim View Post
    Copied from http://www.teachervision.fen.com/gro...nts/31829.html
    The groundhog is another name for a woodchuck. According to legend, the hibernating groundhog comes out of its burrow on February 2. If it sees its shadow, it gets frightened and scurries back into its burrow. This means six more weeks of winter. If it's cloudy and the groundhog does not see its shadow, it does not get frightened, and stays outside. This means a mild spring. February is also a breeding time for the groundhogs, so that may have something to do with why they surface from their burrow.

My poor son. A very unknowledgable mother, I am.

This is Armadillo Day here in Tx.. He saw his shadow too..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

So from what I've just read in the news, 3 out of 5 groundhogs have predicted 6 more weeks of winter. The two dissenters are the Alberta and Manitoba groundhogs. Guess we go with the consensus.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

He probably saw his shadow because of all the lights from the cameras. I can't understand why PETA has their knickers in a knot over this. Phil looked very happy and contented as he laid in the arms of the guy holding him. Probably amused himself looking at all the silly people making a fuss over him.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    MOF has it right. He couldn't help but see his shadow with all the camera lights. Oh well - it's only 6 more weeks.
    More snow forecast for tonight and again this weekend! Oh happy day.......
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~