Thread: You know what I mean?

You know what I mean?

Ugh, I have recently noticed that I use phrases like "You know what I mean?" "Do you understand what I'm saying" and "Does that make sense?" WAY too often.

I started using it a couple years ago as a qualifier with customers. I read that people often nod as if they understand but they don't, so a good salesperson asks if the customer understands. And then you read body language to ensure they do. Good concept that works..... but I use it all the time.

Its become a part of almost every conversation. Talking to hubby. Talking to my boss. Talking to my mom. Its as if I said what I had to say, then don't know how to finish the cvonversation so I say "You know what I mean?" Its a nervous thing, I think.

My boss's boss says "ahhhh, what-do-you-call it" in the same manner. I don't know if people have picked up on me saying it, but I feel like I say it too often!

Anyone else do this? I have no idea how to stop what I started!

Yep, I say this too often also! I suppose it just becomes habit.

I think, though, that I'd rather have people overuse 'you know what I mean?' than say 'yeah?' at the end of every sentence. Seriously, some people I know run conversations like 'So I was walking down the street, yeah? And I see this guy on the other side of the road, yeah? ....etc, etc.' Drives me round the bend!

Zimbabwe 07/13

It's also much better than saying "like" at the end of every sentence. So many young people in CA do this now and it drives me nuts.

In our house, we are dealing with "Why??" after every.single.sentence. haha I agree, I think that sometimes phrases and sentences can just become a habit. Know what I mean? (just kidding!)

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    It's also much better than saying "like" at the end of every sentence. So many young people in CA do this now and it drives me nuts.
    SO true. It's not cool, it's like, annoying.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I just tend to quote or repeat things I've heard recently. My guess is it's really annoying to most people but it just seems to come out.

Niņo & Eliza

I often end up with "so..." at the end and trail off, lol. either that or stutter, blah.

*raises hands... both*.. I do that too.. hehe.. sometimes way too many times.. lol..so I DO know what you mean....seriously... hehe
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Today my professor said "ya know" 112 times in 50 minutes (and he said "and then so" 65 times) *facepalm* I'm sure you're not that bad! :P

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
    Today my professor said "ya know" 112 times in 50 minutes (and he said "and then so" 65 times) *facepalm* I'm sure you're not that bad! :P
    Did you actually count, Ashley?

Quote Originally Posted by TamanduaGirl View Post
    I often end up with "so..." at the end and trail off, lol. either that or stutter, blah.
    My friend Bob does this all the time! LOL I'm used to it, but other people who don't know him well are always waiting for the rest of the sentence ... "Well, that's great, thank you ... so ...." So.... what? It cracks me up sometimes.

My mom's friends says, "Now, listen!" at the beginning of EVERY sentence. It's SO annoying.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Yes. . . I use "sooooo" to trail off at the end of a sentence. I annoy myself doing it, to be honest, but it's a nervous thing I do waiting for someone to respond. (But oddly, this leaves my own thought hanging and they are probably waiting for me to finish before responding, soooooo..)

Miss Z, the "yeah" at the end of a sentence thing is very Irish (or British in your case). The Irish also do this thing where they say "Yeah" with an intake of breath at the end of a sentence - bizarre but sorta cute. I'm from Brooklyn so I can't judge anyone's way of talking!! I think the American version of "yeah" is ending a sentence with "right?"

"I met this guy, right? and he told me he knew my sister, right?"

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Using "so..." at the end is sort of like that Seinfeld episode where they end their stories with "Yadda. yadda.."(I think that's it).

There's a few uses

so... you already know the rest

so... I don't think you really want to hear the rest or I don't want to tell you

so... You're not listening to me are you

Which reminds me of the guy that asks you a question then starts randomly going "yeah" "mmm-hmm" Even in the middle of sentences. So I'd trail off and stop talking then after a minute or two he'd ask me something to keep me going or ask me to continue. But you're not even listening, lol. Was an old co-worker and one of the worst lunch times.

my kid went through a phase where he´d say:

"mom.. you know mom I want to eat soup mom but the one I like mom, then mom can you give me something sweet mom and maybe mom later we can play this game mom that goes like this mom.. you pull this thing mom and the car goes down mom then you race against another one mom wanna play now mom..or we can see a movie mom.. whichever you want mom or maybe the one of mickey mom you know the mickey and friends one mom or any other mom"

enough with the mom!.. lol
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365