Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huskies?

Huskies?

So my bf is HOOKED on huskies.....not even that they blow their coats got to him

So question for those with experience with them, may you tell me those experiences; the good and the bad?

I really want him to go to a kill-shelter or rescue. The kill-shelter here always gets all sort of purebreds, I've seen huskies a couple of times, stunning huskies...I even saw an Afghan Hound

But if anything a breeder might be an option, because I think he just wants the whole experience of raising a puppy, and it would be nice for the dog to grow up with my small dogs from a pup to then a big adult, because one of my dogs is somewhat fearful of some big dogs. But again its only an option, but recommendations of good reputable breeders would be nice, don't know how common that is to find one in South Florida, but he'll be willing to travel to get the puppy.

This won't be till loooooooooong time from now btw. Thanks in advance!
    MY RUGRATS

http://www.greatdogsite.com/breeds/d...iberian_Husky/

I could sit and talk for hours about Sibe's they are truly one breed im in love with.You need to do as much research as possible.It's easy to say "I WANT" a Sibe,They are great animals,But like evey breed it might not be the right one for you.

You read anything about a Sibe,There is not one thing said that is negative,other than there prey drive for small animals,There once was a quote i seen"If you don't want dead squirrels and chipmunks at your back door don't own a Sibe"My Anna in her younger years would take Birds in flight down.So it really hit the nail right on the head with that quote.

Do you have the time and energy?Sibe's are not the type of dog that is going to sit in a corner and look pretty.They can get very destructive when bored,You can ask any Sibe owner.They are very friendly dogs,A friend of mine was robbed,and she swore Dakota must of walked them around the house,There not Guard dogs some people have bought them for that and have been let down,That is not there nature.

Shedding,Are you ready to Vaccum?Sibe's blow there coats twice a year,And it is not like a lab or your smaller dogs,It comes out in chunks.

Do you have a fenced yard?I personally think it is a given with Sibe's some sibes may stay around,The ones that i had were GONE if given the oppurtunity.Even at 14 i tried Anna she stayed in the front for a bit took one look at me and she was gone,She was running around the field behind our house,but still it should be something done if you don't have a fence.

I'm sure there are others that have different things to say,This is just what i experienced with my Anna.

Good luck and hope you find what your looking for.

I agree with what Lori Jordan said. Nebo is an exception to many sibe rules, though he still follows the basic ones -not good offleash, high shedding, and prey drive. He doesn't dig and he's pretty obedient, he's a good boy. Keva is 100% typical sibe, she's the one they write books about. She loves digging, if she's bored she will look for spots to dig or just things to ruin. If there's anything wooden or plastic in the yard she and Skya will find it and chew it up.

They haven't been destructive in the house, but I don't leave them loose in the house while I'm not home either, if I did they would eat stuff. I can leave Nebo in the house and he is fine, he doesn't destroy things. Keva is stubborn and likes to do what she wants. She will look right at me and do the same thing I just got mad at her for doing. Nebo and Skya are not like that. She will not only run off but she'll make a game of it, waiting until I get close then bolting. The couple of times Nebo has been lose he actually has came back when called but that doesn't mean I'd trust him and let him off leash. Keva is however the sweetest dog, she will sit there for hours for petting or belly rubs, she loves people and attention. Nebo is a little more cat-like, he will come to you for attention when he wants it then he's off doing his own thing. Skya loves attention from me, but she is afraid of most people, however this is not typical sibe behavior at all so discount that. Pretty much all sibes I've met besides her have been friendly with people.

They shed like crazy, you better be okay with dog hair. I can brush mine every week and still get piles out. Mine have been fine with small dogs but they have also been raised around Sydney (schnauzer) so if you get an adult dog from a rescue make sure its been tested around small dogs. I know there is a sibe rescue in florida, its on petfinder. You need to have a fenced yard, they need to run off leash, I can't imagine having a husky without a fenced yard. Mine will start getting hyper in the house so I'll just open the door and they are off running laps around the yard. This happens several times a day sometimes.

One thing I love is that they are quiet, they howl a bit but they don't general bark at things, like barking at the door. They are great activity dogs-mine love hiking, camping, sledding, walking, jogging...if you want an active dog, they are great for that. Mine are also fine if they don't go for a walk, they don't go crazy if they don't get walked every day. But I also have three of them to play with eachother and a fenced yard to run in, that makes a difference.

My Roxey

We got our Roxey without any type of before hand research. Boy did we have a lot to learn!

She is a typical husky.

As a puppy she was digging and tearing up whatever she could get her mouth on outside, but inside she was an angel and never bothered anything. Luckily now she's not as bad, but she still likes to dig.
    We only have a 4 ft fence so we put electric fence on the top and bottom to keep her from jumping over or digging under.

She's always loved other dogs, I guess it's because she was always around them. But like Lori and wolf_q said, the prey drive is extremely high. She's killed many cats, bunnies and squirrels that have gotten into our yard.

Husky pups take lots of time, patience and training. She was nonstop, even in the middle of the night I'd have to get up and play with her. I took her to several different obedience classes both because it used up energy (a tired husky is a good husky) and she loved learning new things. We also did lots of at home training.

It's lots of work, but if your in it for the long haul it's definitely worth it because they are wonderful dogs!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

5. I see you have several very good references to go by already

but i was wondering if it would be okay if i asked a icky question about Siberian Huskies in your thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    I see you have several very good references to go by already

but i was wondering if it would be okay if i asked a icky question about Siberian Huskies in your thread?
    Sure go ahead...thanks everyone for the advice!
    MY RUGRATS

7. ^ all righty.

not sure if 'icky' was really a good way of putting it. LOL but what health issues are Huskies prone to?

The only two health problems that they really have are hip dysplasia and inheritable eye disease.
    They're honestly a pretty low maintenance dog.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

9. Wow. just two? thats awesome!

is it like cherry eye or something different?

Like Anna said the hip dysplasia,My Anna passed away a month shy of her 14th Birthday She had cancer,and was doing pretty well until she lost her back end.Very sad thing to go through.

There is very good points made on the Sibe here,Like Anna said with her 4ft fence,When Anna was in her younger years when she got the notion she would go over our 5ft fence like nothing.

I guess i was lucky Anna never really dug,her thing was Garbage she used to lift the garbage bag out of the bin,Id get home to find the mess id be down on my knees cleaning it all up and she would walk over to me with pieces of the garbage she just demolished and hand it to me,Sibe's have such personality.That is one of the things i love them for,they have a personality like no other.

I had alot of Angry Neighbors,I truly wish i could have changed the situation but Anna too would take cats,squirrels anything that would walk the fence and kill it.

I'd love to have another,But right now i dont have the accesories to own one,We took the fencing down around the hole yard,all i have left is a dog run that goes off our deck,We have had a coyote problem in my area so we put the dog run up.Now that i own a Border Collie,Aussie and a Newf they dont need to be inside a fence at all times only a night,My guys dont go anywhere,The other day my Husband had taken my daughter to her co-op which is about half an hour away.He forgot to let the dogs back in.When he got home they were all sitting on the front porch looking at him like"Um did you forget something".

11. Sorry to hear about your loss =/ it really doesnt sound any to pleasant.
    do know if its hereditary or just something that happens sometimes?

Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    Sorry to hear about your loss =/ it really doesnt sound any to pleasant.
    do know if its hereditary or just something that happens sometimes?
    I do believe the hole theory of Genes,Anna's mother had Cancer also,I'm not sure if the cancer had anything to do with her loosing her back end or not,It all happend so fast.She had her surgery in May to have the tumor removed and we had her layed to rest November 5th.It was very hard,Anna was fine she drank still had an appetite she just could not get around.

We also had Anna's mother,She was diagnosed,she was 9 when she died.The kids let the her and Anna out and Shyann had jumped the fence and ran to the neighbors farm and got into a pen full of boars,After the farmer realised who's dog it was he called me at work and told me the news.

My Anna, she was about 12 or 13 years old when she passed away. We had to put her to sleep due to her body giving up. It was old age. She did live a long life. Knock on wood, she never had health issues, she was the perfect Sibe. She never caused troubles, she never dug, it was just uncharacteristic. ONE thing she did love to do was to RUN! She always came back home, always. Like I said, she was just a different dog. She was the first Sibe I have owned, possible not the last.

This was her:

You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

well.. really nothing much to add.. all basics have been covered already.. hehe..

but one thing that can´t be said enough is NEVER trust a husky offleash...

they are awesome dogs.. if you don´t mind the hair.. lol... I actually found out that my first Pom was by far more high maintenance than my husky girls.. by far.. who would´ve thought such a tiny dog could be much of a hairful than a husky.. lol
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

15. Lori Jordan: Its sounding like a lot is passed on by way of genes in both animals an people... =/ but with what you described with her losing back end control sounds like something Dachshunds are prone to. a compact discs or nerve?

were you able to get your dog Shyann back okay?

CountryWolf07: sounds like she was a great dog an lived a happy life. my brothers Pug mix,, other then losing his hearing had no health problems either. he also died of old age. just went to sleep one night an that was it.

Husky_mom: LOL really? guess size is very deceiving