Thread: This is Amazing

Hybrid View

This is Amazing

The Egyptian Pyramids from above.
    Click on pic to enlarge.

http://www.satimagingcorp.com/galler...mids-egypt.jpg

The thing that strikes me is how symmetrical the pyramids are. It would be easy to build if you could step back (up) a few thousand feet to visualize what you've done. These pyramids were built thousands of year ago with limited measuring techniques available, or were they. i know how difficult it is to layout a symmetrical site, since i built my own home and laid out the foundation.The
    foundation was microscopic compared to the pyramids. How did they do it?

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    The thing that strikes me is how symmetrical the pyramids are. It would be easy to build if you could step back (up) a few thousand feet to visualize what you've done. These pyramids were built thousands of year ago with limited measuring techniques available, or were they. i know how difficult it is to layout a symmetrical site, since i built my own home and laid out the foundation.The
    foundation was microscopic compared to the pyramids. How did they do it?
    They used a device called a "Trammel". They would drive a stake into the ground where the centre of the pyramid would be, and tie a rope to it.
    They would then mark a point on the rope at a distance from the stake, and drag the rope around in a big circle marking the ground as they went.
    So what they ended up with was a big circle drawn on the ground with the stake in the centre of the circle. They would then stretch a long rope over the stake, marking points on the circle edge (usually aligned with something like the direction the sun was at dawn).....so what they had then was a circle drawn on the ground with a line drawn across the middle bisecting the circle. It was easy enough then to measure the other two points to form the other two corners of the pyramid, by using a rope of the same length. The lines were then drawn to those new points, forming the perfect square.
    Simple geometry really.......but certainly a good idea thought up at the time.
    Wom

Cool picture! Thanks for sharing!
    I've Been Frosted