Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flea Medicine Question

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    And I would be careful with Advantage. It's not supposed to be used around cats, and I see you own one.
    It's actually advantix that is not supposed to be used on Cats. They make feline Advantage, I have it in my cabinet right now! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I've never heard this before and I've been using advantage(regular advantage not advantage multi) on all of my cats for years. I actually buy the large dog advantage and then I measure out what I need on each cat. This way I save a lot of money. My former vet actually recommended this to me to save me some money. It's the same stuff that you use on cats but it just comes in a larger doseage so you have to know how much your animal weighs and then you measure it out according to weight. I usually buy mine online.

If you have 2 dogs that are different weights then you can buy a larger dog one and then measure out what you need each time. I put it in a testube with a lid and then I use a syringe that I premark with some tape. I've used this every month on my cats for years without any problems. On my cats I make sure to squirt it out in about 3-4 spots not all in one spot so it's less irritating to their skin. Good luck.

I do this with Frontline! Several years ago a me and a friend of mine I used to work with, back at the last vet clinic I worked at, sat down on our lunch break and looked at each box on frontline and wrote down the amount per ML that was in each dose size of Frontline -- from the smallest size (feline -- .5ml) to the largest - dogs 89-132lb does (4.02ml), and I have the sheet with the doses for each size hanging on the inside of the cabinet door I keep my dog supplies in!... so now I just buy the largest frontline and use a syringe to measure out what I need for each dogs dose..

The last time I was at my vets office (different from where I used to work) I heard a lady say she wanted to buy the largest dog size to treat all of her cats.... so apparently more people do it now.
    If you're gonna breed Collies, don't you forget to breed in the brains and common sense. Without that you won't have a Collie, you'll have just another dog.

I've Been BOO'd!!

Oops, Just kidding. It's AdvanTIX that shouldn't be used around cats. Although, as long as your cats don't lick it off, they should be fine. I don't own cats, so I don't know how often cats lick dogs. Lol

I still use Frontline... I've never had any problems with it. Just hear of them. I'll check into using the ACV for cats.

EDIT: Okay, I just read of people using it for cats. You can google information about it. It's also spoken about in a couple of my natural healing books I have. I have yet to use it, but you can also put a few drops in their ears once or twice a week and it will help prevent ear infections. My mother in law told me it is definitely a taste you have to get used to, or maybe I would start drinking it. lol
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I use Advantage for all my animals,I Keep them on it all summer long,Just dont want to take a chance as we go for frequent walks and are around other dogs,and you just dont know.

For the cats its about 10 dollars for a single dose,the dogs are about 15 dollars per dog.

I hope you have got something by now,If they have flees it should be treated right away,Not left.It drives them crazy.

If you do the Capstar, you will still need to do the topical treatment as well. Capstar is more immediate, but it is not a long-term thing.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I guess I'll throw my 2 cents worth into the discussion. I use Advantix on my dogs and buy on line. After doing a lot of comparison shopping, I found that vetshoponline.com is the least expensive for the dosage I need. I buy the 12 dose pack, so that lasts me 6 months for both dogs, and I paid $106 and that included the shipping from Australia. My vet charges $80 for a 6 dose pack, so I save $54 buying on line. Advantix is the more expensive one, so you could get Advantage even cheaper.

I tried Dr Foster & Smith's Biospot one year because they claimed it was equal to Advantix and so much less expensive. Well, you get what you pay for, and what the dogs got was fleas - big time. F & S refunded my money, but it cost me in the long run - a vet visit for shots for the dogs since they are so highly allergic, flea killer for the whole house, and then Advantix at the vet's prices. I'll never try to go cheap again on something like that, since it ended up being MORE expensive.

And just from what I have read, and also been told by my vet, you should never use the dog formula of any flea med on a cat, even when reducing the amount you apply. There is something in the dog formula that can be very toxic to kitty.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 02-14-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

There is a tablet that is taken orally that is good for a month, Comfortis. I have used Capstar and
    it works well but it is a one shot thing that is only effective for a day or two.

I do my pet shopping out of Australia also. I can order online and have my order in about 4 days. No prescription is required. They have a lot of combo heartgard flea med specials.

http://www.equine-mega-store.com/
    Last edited by kokopup; 02-15-2010 at 04:08 PM.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Fleas are the WORST

I have never had great luck with my pets just not getting fleas, seems like it just comes in cycles. I do know that you can buy good flea and tick products online and some of them are not pricy. Good Luck and hope you can have a flea free pet soon!!!
    Last edited by ginalovesfelines; 02-23-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Capstar works well. It's a pill and works from the inside out. Bio-Spot doesn't work, I've heard from several people that have used it without success. Do NOT buy Hartz flea treatments. They've been pulled from the shelves by the FDA but they are still out there. I can kill your pets.

Frontline or Revolution are the best.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I do not have cats, but I have tried Biospot on my dog and it was a complete waste of money. I used one tube on her and when it didnt work, I ended up throwing the other tubes away and buying the good stuff anyway. I usually buy my flea treatment online at Drs. Foster and Smith. I have found that they are usually the cheapest place I could find.

Just a note about buying flea medicine from Ebay, please be careful as many of the items on there are much more inexpensive, but they are not approved for sale in the US. They carry the same brand name, but are not for sale in the US. I may be over cautious, but I'd rather not put something on my pet that wasn't approved for sale in the US.
    Nap Time!
    Beagle Bailey & Spanky

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Do NOT buy Hartz flea treatments. They've been pulled from the shelves by the FDA but they are still out there. I can kill your pets.
    There are MANY anti Hertz sites online, I refuse to buy ANYTHING Hertz.. too many animals have gotten ill off it & far too many have died. If I'm remembering correctly the flea collar was the worst one... Also if my memory servers me correctly the issue with Hertz products is the way it's mass produced... ummm it's not equal doses.. meaning 1 dose might be normal, 1 dose might be too low, & the final dose might be too high...

Also.. why are you offering to kill our pets? LOLz ; )

Let's face it, the $hit is pesticides that are absorbed into your pets skin. I know this may sound crazy, but I just try to avoid fleas by keeping my cats inside, and stripping my washing my clothes immediately if I've visited a shelter. Seems to work.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I know Hartz is bad. My grandpa said oh, you should get Roxy some of that and I was like NOOO. We did buy this spray from a farm and garden store last summer for horses (but it's also dog friendly) because Roxy had some flies bothering her. It also seems to help with fleas... I know it's not flea medicine, but it worked pretty well.

We can't use the spray on Lily though because the spray isn't supposed to be used around cats.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography