Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flea Medicine Question

Flea Medicine Question

My mom was going to buy flea meds for Lily and Tallulah today at the Vet's office, but they're sooo outrageously expensive.

The vet assistant we talked to told us to check online. I just checked 1800PetMeds and seeing as you have to buy multiple doses and it would be like $80, not gonna work right now.

Does anybody know of any sites that you can order single doses of Frontline, Revolution, or Advantage from?
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

not sure.. I bought a while back some flea stuff from petsmart and was pretty satisfied... it worked nicely and not too expensive.. maybe like 13-15.. it was a flea n tick solution.. you dabbed the dog with it where needed..

not sure brand though.. it was a while back..lol
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

A vet's office is about the only place you're going to find that will offer single doses of Frontline, etc. Law requires those medications to be sold in their original packages with the inserts and stuff. The vets can break up packs for long time clients if they have an insert to give out with it. Online places, and pet stores can't do this.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I was looking on Amazon and Ebay and places like that to see if they had single doses and I'm guessing my best bet is Ebay. I would pay the $41 to get them flea meds but it was my mom's money and she said we'd look for it cheaper somewhere else, so...

I'll see what I can do though.

Isabel, if you think of the brand name, let me know
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

I've never seen single doses on line, and I buy both the dogs' and the cats' on line.

Keep in mind, if you buy 3 doses, the cost per dose is higher than if you buy a 6 pack. And a 6 pack will cost more, per dose, than a 12 pack.

If you know you are are going to use 6 doses, I' suggest you just get that.

I go a bit nutty with online buying an often set up a spread sheet to figure out which site has the best price.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I've never seen single doses on line, and I buy both the dogs' and the cats' on line.

Keep in mind, if you buy 3 doses, the cost per dose is higher than if you buy a 6 pack. And a 6 pack will cost more, per dose, than a 12 pack.

If you know you are are going to use 6 doses, I' suggest you just get that.

I go a bit nutty with online buying an often set up a spread sheet to figure out which site has the best price.
    I know it's cheaper if you buy multiple doses, since one does for Tallulah and one dose for Lily was going to be $41 but I found like a 4 pack of Advantage for $37.99 or something like that. I dunno, I'll just have to discuss what I find with my mom and see what she says. Maybe it will be cheaper at a different vet's office as well.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Last year when the people I work for had fleas with their cats, I bought some flea meds for our three... other than that, we never use it. Never had a problem. Just got it in case I happened to bring them home.. yuck!

I got a box of BioSpot from Petsmart.. was ~$16 or so for 3 doses. It had the egg killer stuff in it.. drawing a blank on the name. Seemed to work.. no fleas ever showed up.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Quote Originally Posted by Seravieve View Post
    Last year when the people I work for had fleas with their cats, I bought some flea meds for our three... other than that, we never use it. Never had a problem. Just got it in case I happened to bring them home.. yuck!

I got a box of BioSpot from Petsmart.. was ~$16 or so for 3 doses. It had the egg killer stuff in it.. drawing a blank on the name. Seemed to work.. no fleas ever showed up.
    So BioSpot is okay? I hadn't bought any of the store brand stuff because the vet said don't use it. We asked the Banfield people inside of Petsmart last time we were flea-med shopping and I knew that one of the brands (Hartz?) is poisonous or something like that...

I'll look into BioSpot though, thanks!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

I don't know anything about that... I don't see how they could sell something thats poisonous... We used it on all three dogs and didnt have any problems. I only used it for a month though until they got rid of their fleas at where I work. I don't know if you mean stuff you can't use around cats maybe? We don't have cats so I don't know about that.. All I did was research a brand that had the IGR (growth regulator) that prevented eggs from hatching that I could find relatively cheap.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Quote Originally Posted by Seravieve View Post
    I don't know anything about that... I don't see how they could sell something thats poisonous... We used it on all three dogs and didnt have any problems. I only used it for a month though until they got rid of their fleas at where I work. I don't know if you mean stuff you can't use around cats maybe? We don't have cats so I don't know about that.. All I did was research a brand that had the IGR (growth regulator) that prevented eggs from hatching that I could find relatively cheap.
    I just faintly remember something about some flea medicine having some issues. Maybe I'm just remembering something else .

I talked to my mom about BioSpot and she said we'd look into it. We'll have to have something that is "cat friendly" and some medicine for the kitty too because if we treat fleas for only one of them it probably won't do much good.

Thanks!!!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

I don't really waste my time on flea meds from pet stores. They never worked for me. Especially Hartz. The only place I know that sells single doses is the vet's office.

I have heard of a pill that can be ingested that works wonders... it's Capstar. A lot of people use it because they have problems with reactions to frontline because it's topical.

If you want to go the natural route, 1 tablespoon twice a day for a 50 lbs dog, of apple cider vinegar, is supposed to help regulate the digestive pH (something else it does), but it is also heard to repel fleas. Adjust according to your dogs weight.

And I would be careful with Advantage. It's not supposed to be used around cats, and I see you own one.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    I don't really waste my time on flea meds from pet stores. They never worked for me. Especially Hartz. The only place I know that sells single doses is the vet's office.

I have heard of a pill that can be ingested that works wonders... it's Capstar. A lot of people use it because they have problems with reactions to frontline because it's topical.

If you want to go the natural route, 1 tablespoon twice a day for a 50 lbs dog, of apple cider vinegar, is supposed to help regulate the digestive pH (something else it does), but it is also heard to repel fleas. Adjust according to your dogs weight.

And I would be careful with Advantage. It's not supposed to be used around cats, and I see you own one.
    Well most of the ones from the pet stores have never worked for us either :/. I haven't tried BioSpot though so maybe it would help...

Is Capstar cheaper than the topical stuff?

I might try the apple cider vinegar, but not sure if I could use that on the cat, too? And it'd have to be a very small amount for Lily since she only weighs 4.5 pounds, haha.

Advantage is the one that's not supposed to be used around cats? I couldn't remember which one it was . They have Advantage for cats, too, though, so...

We used Revolution for a while and it worked wonders, but a lot of the Vet offices around here don't have it anymore. I think it's cheaper than Frontline or Advantage anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Capstar indeed kills fleas FAST, and it is an oral medication rather than a topical. Be aware though it's a one time or DAILY medication. The topicals last for 4 weeks or longer.

I've seen too many bad reactions at work from owners using things like Hartz, Adams, Bio Spot, etc. I couldn't with good concious recoomend any of those to anyone.

I've only seen a couple reactions (like 3-4 in 9 years) with the topicals we use (Frontline Plus and Revolution), and those were mild mostly minor hair loss and a couple high strung cats that drooled for awhile (which they tended to do when they came in for a normal visit anyways).

Definately check other vet's costs on Frontline Plus. There can be a HUGE variance in what each one charges. Revolution is a prescription medication so I doubt if a different vet that has not seen your pets before would let you buy it there or not. Frontline Plus does NOT require a prescription, but a different vet may require an appointment to form a client/patient relationship to sell it to you the first time.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    I've never heard this before and I've been using advantage(regular advantage not advantage multi) on all of my cats for years. I actually buy the large dog advantage and then I measure out what I need on each cat. This way I save a lot of money. My former vet actually recommended this to me to save me some money. It's the same stuff that you use on cats but it just comes in a larger doseage so you have to know how much your animal weighs and then you measure it out according to weight. I usually buy mine online.

If you have 2 dogs that are different weights then you can buy a larger dog one and then measure out what you need each time. I put it in a testube with a lid and then I use a syringe that I premark with some tape. I've used this every month on my cats for years without any problems. On my cats I make sure to squirt it out in about 3-4 spots not all in one spot so it's less irritating to their skin. Good luck.

So I should call around to other Vet's offices then and see if their prices are different? The vet we go to is the cheapest one in town and they're all home-y and nice and everything but apparently they're not the cheapest on flea medicine .

Advantage is fine, too, then? I think it's just K9 Advantage that would bother a kitty. Seeing as they make regular Advantage for dogs and cats.

Thanks for all the help everyone, don't know what I'd do without PT
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan