Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The 2010 Get Fit Thread!

The 2010 Get Fit Thread!

I have declared 2010 the year of getting fit! I am eating better and exercising a lot more. Being healthy and fit is very important in this age of seditary jobs but at the same time it is difficult to maintain good health habits for the same reason. I know that sometimes I need encouragement and I'm sure Im not the only one! Are you on the path to getting fit? Let us encourage each other! We can celebrate successes and help each other through setbacks. whos with me to a helthier 2010?

Me, Me!!!

I got pretty lazy about eating good foods and exercising since the school year started, but it's all changing now! I actually bought *gasp* vegetables and lots of fruits to much on during the day, instead of the chips.

I'm setting myself up for success in the exercise department this time around and have "scheduled" in times. My boyfriend and I started this morning out by getting up at 6 and doing p90x (intense work out video) and I went to the gym after my 8am class for more cardio. That's the plan! It'll be good to have this thread as another means of support.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Me too, I need to get more exercise and lose weight. It's difficult for me to cut calories, because I am allergic to so many of the traditional "diet" food - carrots, celery, yoghurt, etc. So I need to exercise more. The exercise I am most capable of doing is my stationary bike, as I have balance trouble, so sitting with something to hang onto is good. I know a treadmill would b more exercise but I cannot use them - they throw me off, literally, so the bike is what I have!

I'll go do a session on it now, I like that I can watch something on TV while exercising, otherwise I get too bored, and stop.
    I've Been Frosted

I'm in! I need to lose weight to help with back pain. My chiro said walking is good. So I started last Thursday and I am taking two 15 minute walks during the day. And I've recruited two of my co-workers. One is pregnant, so walking is great for her too! I'm hoping these walks will help encourage me to do more exercise as well.
    Now I just need to work on the food area. I'm horrible with this. I need to bring my lunch to work so I won't go grab fast food. That's my downfall. It should be easy since the two girls I'll be walking with usually bring their lunches too. It will also save $$$.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Diet and exercise are both really hard, if not impossible without some kind words letting you know the pain is worth it! I know us PTers are good at support I got myself a bike and have been either riding or walking at least 30 minutes a day (above the walking I do at work which obviously isnt enough lol). This is the second week of this and even though I am sore I do notice that I am feeling stronger and I dont feel as spent after I am done riding.

I have been on a fitness regime since last March. I've been eating better and working out about 4 times a week and I have lost quite a bit of weight. It's paid off because I've been cut off one of my BP meds and my diabetes doctor is tapering me off one of my diabetes meds. That was my goal. I've gone down almost 3 sizes in clothes and it feels wonderful.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Good job slick! K9, Karen and Taz: starting is the first step towards healthy habits. It took an ER visit over my sugar to kick my butt into gear...I don't want to see anyone have to go through that!

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    I have been on a fitness regime since last March. I've been eating better and working out about 4 times a week and I have lost quite a bit of weight. It's paid off because I've been cut off one of my BP meds and my diabetes doctor is tapering me off one of my diabetes meds. That was my goal. I've gone down almost 3 sizes in clothes and it feels wonderful.
    Check it out. People will try to sabotage your regime by getting you to try stuff that encourages you to eat. A good green habanero/wasabi sauce is really good on it's own, it's when you begin to slather it on chips and crackers, then realize you ate a whole tube of RITZ crackers while trying to figure out if you like it?

You are doomed.

-----------------------

I bought a pedometer at the beginning of last year and that has inspired me to walk. Now?

I get antsy if I don't got out a few times a week. I also schedule some light shopping, so I kill two birds with one stone!

You would be amazed at the amount of groceries you can carry home from a short errand!

Count me in!!

I'm keeping track of every calorie I consume. I find if I write it down, I get embarrassed to eat something bad.

We bought a treadmill in December - fantastic purchase. I can walk anytime of the day. I read while walking - so get exercise and information at the same time.

Richard: all those grocieries add some resistance making each step even more benificial!! Burn the calories before you eat them!

Welcome aboard Grace!

I'm in too

Maybe if we all want to check in once a week just to say how things are going that way we are semi-accountable?

I'm trying so hard to get better, I've been trying to drink more water while I'm at work, the exercise is hard because of my back pain recently started up again but I'm trying to do something.

Melissa

ok....I will do 10 minutes on my stationary bike today. Gotta start somewhere...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Yes, I'm in!

I've been tracking calories on sparkpeople and trying to exercise more. It's been nice weather out lately so I've been walking to the park everyday with Lyra. I'm also trying to do at least 30 minutes of cardio 3-4 days a week. I know you can't spot reduce, but I would love to get rid of this stubborn belly fat leftover from my pregnancy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anikaca77 View Post
    I'm in too

Maybe if we all want to check in once a week just to say how things are going that way we are semi-accountable?
    Good idea!

Everyone should check in as much as they can just to get a morale boost

Last night I noticed Im not nearly as sore as I was last week at this point and Ive increased my time on the back of the ol bike. The only pain I notice now is in my butt and thats because I have to get a new bike seat as the one I have sucks!

Corgi, the belly area is my problem too! Ive noticed though that I feel that area working when I ride my bike so Im hoping that will help out a little. Ive heard that belly fat is the worst place for fat to be for a diabetic so Im really trying to slim down.

Catty, rome wasn't built in a day a start is a start! You go girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    ok....I will do 10 minutes on my stationary bike today. Gotta start somewhere...
    But, where will you end up after the ride?

-------

Who posted the story about the boy on the bike with the cell phone? He was trying to get some digits from a PTer while she was out riding bike.

Does anyone remember?