Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Nascar 2010

Denny, Denny, Denny! Go Denny! Yep, we're happy here in this house tonight
    Denny is the #1 seed, not Jimmie! Hope he can win the cup!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I guess the Gibb boys did pretty good this weekend. Too bad Tony didn't fair as well.
    Loving that Kyle set another record!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

HOLY CRAP! Did y'all see that? Mark Martin must be the best sandbagger out there. Had most of NASCAR Nation convinced that his beat up car would be lucky to finish at all and then sneaks all the way up to 2nd place

THANK YOU Stock Car Jesus! GIMME 5!

Did anyone else see the chief marketing officer for NASCAR on "Undercover Boss" yesterday? I'm not a fan of car racing in general so I didn't know much about NASCAR. I learned a lot!

Like, there are races 38 weeks of the year and the drivers and teams travel from race to race. The cars have special tires that have to be measured before each race and placed in the right position on the car. I wonder why the tires have no grooves, at that speed wouldn't the car need the grooves to keep it from slipping and sliding on the track? (Maybe the forward momentum plus the weight of the car keeps it moving forward as opposed to up and down the width of the track?) And I missed how many changes of tires per car any given race requires. I wonder what NASCAR does with all those used tires? Can tires be recycled?

Everyone on the pit crew has a specific job and they actually train for and rehearse the pit stops ahead of time. The pit stops are almost choreographed like dances. Everyone knows where to go and exactly what to do. No wasted effort or movement when the driver makes the stop.

They showed him helping to paint signs at the tops of the curves and you could see how steeply the curves are banked. The signs and markings are painted by hand.

When I was in high school my parents and I went to the Indianapolis motor speedway. You can take a bus tour around the track. It makes one slow loop in which they show you everything, the service pits, the infield, the stands and the curves. It was so cool!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

That was a good race, no real crashes and loved the two car trains.

Reminded me of the "train races" at the old local loop.

Your right Richard, it was a REALLY good race. I throughly enjoyed it, even when I was on the edge of my seat hoping they wouldn't crash or when we were waiting for Denny to get the lucky dog-but it was Ryan Newman who got it Luckily he finally got back up front...he might just win this thing yet!

And I did watch Undercover Boss-I really enjoyed it.

3rd place? I'll take it.

------------

Jeff would have won THAT fight. Fair and Square.

------------

So, We finally have a "Chase"?

---------

No Kyle,

NASCAR officials are not NUMBER ONE!
    Last edited by RICHARD; 11-08-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Great race yesterday! Flipping off officals, fights, teams getting benched, and a new points leader. How could you ask for anythingmore? Go Denny!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Did anyone else see the chief marketing officer for NASCAR on "Undercover Boss" yesterday? I'm not a fan of car racing in general so I didn't know much about NASCAR. I learned a lot!

Like, there are races 38 weeks of the year and the drivers and teams travel from race to race. The cars have special tires that have to be measured before each race and placed in the right position on the car. I wonder why the tires have no grooves, at that speed wouldn't the car need the grooves to keep it from slipping and sliding on the track? (Maybe the forward momentum plus the weight of the car keeps it moving forward as opposed to up and down the width of the track?) And I missed how many changes of tires per car any given race requires. I wonder what NASCAR does with all those used tires? Can tires be recycled?

Everyone on the pit crew has a specific job and they actually train for and rehearse the pit stops ahead of time. The pit stops are almost choreographed like dances. Everyone knows where to go and exactly what to do. No wasted effort or movement when the driver makes the stop.

They showed him helping to paint signs at the tops of the curves and you could see how steeply the curves are banked. The signs and markings are painted by hand.

When I was in high school my parents and I went to the Indianapolis motor speedway. You can take a bus tour around the track. It makes one slow loop in which they show you everything, the service pits, the infield, the stands and the curves. It was so cool!
    I thought it was a great episode. One of my friends is friends with Dion, the crew memeber from the 5, so it was neat to see him.

The tires actaully have more grip becuase they don't have grooves. Ideally, you want to have as much rubber on the road as possible to get maximum grip. Doesn't work for street cars becuase you have to be able to wick away rain, snow, etc.

The number of tires changes depends on the track and length of the race. The "lower" series, Truck and Nationwide, have set number of tires they can use each week (varies). Cup also has a limit, but it is so much higher it never comes into play.

I don't know what is done with the tires. All have to be returned to NASCAR/Goodyear. Some I believe are sold to racing schools and other groups. I would guess some are recycled.

Kyle throws a fit, Jeff throws a punch, and Denny throws a curve....awesome!

Well folks,

As it should be?

The whole season comes down to the last race of the year!

Rock on!

and, as usual I have to work
    Seriously, can't they extend or shorten the season by one measly week so that it doesn't always end the weekend before T-Giving? I always have to work that Sunday to make up for being off on Thurs and Fri My boss is a big football fan and I always tell him it would be like him having to work during the Superbowl.

and... uh... GO DENNY!! Gimme 11, just this once!

Any predictions for second place in '11?

I used to think that Jimmie Johnson made a deal with Stock Car Satan, but now I'm thinking he is Stock Car Satan

Dang good effort by Denny though

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    I used to think that Jimmie Johnson made a deal with Stock Car Satan, but now I'm thinking he is Stock Car Satan

Dang good effort by Denny though
    Stock Car Jesus just freaked out.