Thread: i need help!!

i need help!!

We have had Zoey since thanksgiving. She is 5 mths old, declawed and spayed. We just got back from a two week vacation. While we where on vacations she and our other cat King stayed at my mil house in the basement (granddad inlaw doesn't like cats). they said that they went down everyday and played with them but i don't know anymore. when we got back the litter box was full and zoey was talking alot wanting out of the basement. now that we have her home she has been pooping on our bed!! and its really lose and gross. what can i do to stop her. she did it twice in one day!!! she wasn't doing this before we left!! i don't want this to become a problem!!
    Wife to a wonderful Army man. Mom to Catie 9/17/05 and Chambers 10/17/07. loveing human to King 9/06 and Zoey 8/09.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaydonette View Post
    We have had Zoey since thanksgiving. She is 5 mths old, declawed and spayed. We just got back from a two week vacation. While we where on vacations she and our other cat King stayed at my mil house in the basement (granddad inlaw doesn't like cats). they said that they went down everyday and played with them but i don't know anymore. when we got back the litter box was full and zoey was talking alot wanting out of the basement. now that we have her home she has been pooping on our bed!! and its really lose and gross. what can i do to stop her. she did it twice in one day!!! she wasn't doing this before we left!! i don't want this to become a problem!!
    Hi and welcome to PT. I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your cat Zoey. To me it sound like your cats didn't receive the proper care while you were away and Zoey was most likely trying to tell you this by meowing so much. I've heard of animals holding a grudge and acting badly when their owners return from vacation. This may be the reason why she's been pooping on your bed.

Since the litter box wasn't cleaned very well or not at all during your vacation, Zoey may have started doing her business outside of the box and now maybe she's afraid to use the box. Cats don't like dirty litter boxes and will go else where if they become too dirty. Her problem sounds like it's behavioral to me but since her poop is runny you may also want to take her to your vet for a check up or at least take in a stool sample for your vet to test. Her runny poop may also be caused by stress by being away from you and put down in a basement. I hope she'll start acting normally soon and feeling better too. Good luck.

KAK is right. I don't think they got the proper care either (especially seeing as your Dad isn't a cat lover, probably shut the door and forgot about them). I think a visit to the vet is in order to rule out any medical problems first, then go from there.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Could be two issues. First would be stress/discontent. If this is the case, I would put a fresh litter box in the bedroom temporarily in the hope she will go there. If you do not already have at least two litter boxes, its a very good idea with multiple cats. The second issue could be medical in which case she may not be purposely doing, but rather she is lying up on your bed and then suddenly can't help herself. I would first try the litterbox for a day and show and spend some time with her. If it does not get better quickly, definitely visit the vet

Non-medical - lots of love and reassurance and cuddles. And find another catsitter the next time you go away (but you know that ). I hope Zoey is all better soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Kaydonette,
    I'm sorry your going through this. Sorry your kitties didn't get the kind of care they are used to while you were gone.
    In future, you might want to look into a pet sitter who comes to your home. Often the techs or other employees at your vets' office do this kind of work on the side.

I would definitely rule out health issues as well as think of tackling this as behavioral.

One thing you'll want to do is get the proper pet elimination odor removal cleaner from a pet supply store. Regular household cleaners will not remove the odor for your cats' nose, and just smelling the odor on the bedding may be enough to keep your kitty going in the wrong place.

Do rule out medical issues first, though. You'd feel awful if you treated it as behavioral and then found out it was a health issue. There are lots of fixes to try if it is behavioral, but that really should come as the second thought after health.
    ~~Pat: Mom to (L-R in siggy)Philly, Piper, Molly & Kit

after being home for a little while she is much better!! we now have two litterboxes and we keep the bedroom doors shut!!! she is still lose but i think its because she is still really young and on kitten food.
    Wife to a wonderful Army man. Mom to Catie 9/17/05 and Chambers 10/17/07. loveing human to King 9/06 and Zoey 8/09.

My first thoughts were that she missed YOU!!! Glad to hear things are getting better! Give her lots of LOVE and attention....
    Nine is Fine!!