Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My kitty just diagnosed w/ CRF - need advice & prayers

My kitty just diagnosed w/ CRF - need advice & prayers

Hi all - haven't visited this site in a long time. My heart is breaking... just found out that one of my kitties has kidney failure (CRF)... his creatinine and BUN have skyrocketed over the past week (on 12/31 it was 81, on 1/04 it was 130 creatinine - normal is ~20). He is losing weight quickly, not eating, vomiting occasionally, drinking lots of water, not urinating much, and is very lethargic. Vet has ruled out kidney infections and other ailments through testing, although we are finishing out his course of antibiotics we started last week.

I've been taking him into the vet daily for subcutaneous fluid therapy for 3 days in a row. Another trip planned tomorrow. So far, no improvement in his appetite. Doctor wants to do another blood test tomorrow to see if kidney functions are improving at all.

Have any of you dealt with similar issues with your kitties? Our sweet lil boy is only 7 years (a bit young for kidney failure) and an indoor cat. He doesn't seem like he's in pain but he's not his usual sassy self, sleeps a lot, doesn't eat, vomits every now and then (although no food in it), and just looks depressed. Have any of you found any success with fluid therapy and/or other medications? I wish we could get his appetite revved up again. I also don't want to prolong things if ongoing treatments only mask the problems.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Please send up some kitty prayers for our sweet Blackie.

- Lisa

I am very sad to read your thread regarding your kitty Blackie, especially as he is so young.

I can only offer you my advice from my own experiences, i have an elderly kitty with CRF, and i think it may be a slightly different scenario, Blackie being younger, you would want to explore every option available to you.

I think the best people are your vets who can tell you how to best deal with this, however there are a wise lot of people here who have dealt with it too.

With my cat he is on permanent Steroids, which help the appetite amongst other things, and a pill for his heart, i cannot remember how they all work exactly, but Ash (he is the grey one in my siggy,) has surpassed his expectations from the vets so far living a further 18mths with treatment, and of course i am here daily to take care of his needs.

They do get very bad teeth, caused by kidney failure, and Ash is too old and frail for another dental, but with a young cat it may be very different, i believe if you can brush their teeth on a regular daily basis that might help, but again check with your vet, you don't want to be causing them any extra discomfort if you don't have to.

Eating is indeed a challenge every day with Ash despite his medication, you could choose a special kidney diet, if the cat will eat it, we did not do that, as he would probably not like it,I have heard that about many kitties, and really he gets whatever he will eat, and i fuss around him continually opening can after can getting him to eat, patting him and doing anything that will make him eat, i also give him special kitty milk which has the lactose removed and extra vitamins in it, i have found this a godsend on the days he won't eat well, sometimes he won't eat until late afternoon, as kidney cats often feel sick ,with upset tummy's, you may well be able to medicate for this too, it just depends on what you want for you kitty, what is recommended and really what you can afford.

Weight loss is a normal part of CRF my ash went from a healthy 6.7kg to 4.1, and he is a large stature type cat, however he has maintained that weight for some time now.

My cat is now in the later stages of CRF,and his time is limited, but i just make sure he is comfortable as he can be, and will let him go in peace when i feel the time is right, he will not be allowed to suffer in anyway.

I think the fact my ole Ash is a very hardy old boy and the fact i take really good care of him, fussing over him, bringing him water throughout the day,and medicating him has contributed to his longer survival than normal, my vets are amazed he is still with us.

As you kitty is reasonably young you will want to pursue every avenue possible and give Blackie as long and a happy life as possible.
    Also my vet re-assures me that Kidney cats are not in pain, but i do believe they have discomfort with their upset tums and teeth,but it is not excessive enough to warrant ending their lives IMO.

Many here do sub-Q's and have had success with them and swear by them, i do think this is a very personal choice and should be discussed with your vet at great length, as i did with mine, and then make your decision about that, do not feel you need to do anything that you are not comfortable with doing.

I wish you well and take heart that CRF kitties do and can live for a long time given the right care. HUGS.

By the way i think Blackie is simply gorgeous, reminds me of my girl Lexie minus the spot on the chest.
    Last edited by carole; 01-07-2010 at 02:42 AM.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I am sorry to hear this. My Filou has CRF now for over 4 years- and he survives, thanks to weekly sub-q fluids. It was diagnosed first when he was 9 and now he will be 14 in a months time.
    But we were lucky to diagnose it early when the urea level was not as high as it may be now.
    There are excellent websites out there:
    http://www.felinecrf.com/

http://www.felinecrf.org/

In both you can see what the options are. The main thing is to get Blackie over the crisis right now. His levels may go down again and then you may be able to set up a regular routine.
    Filou the little fighter sends purrs to Blackie.

My Puddy had CRF for approximately 6 years. She lived to be 14 but she had a host of other problems as well. She had 6 good, quality years due to daily subQ fluids administered by me (your vet can show you how; it's so much easier on your cat and your finances). Puddy even had one kidney removed and still lived quite well for another couple of years afterwards. (No, I'm not saying that this will be the case w/your cat. Puddy was born w/one shriveled kidney.)

I also injected B vitamins directly into the port in the fluid bag and it made such a difference in Puddy's energy level, mental alertness and general all around well being. Some vets say that the B vitamins don't really make a difference, my vet said that as well, but I asked him to humor me anyhow and he was surprised at what I reported to him, so think about it.

There are also appetite stimulants that you can give your cat, Prednisolone is one of them, but your vet can tell you which one will work best, especially if your cat continues to be nauseated. Gotta get that nausea under control b/c Blackie won't want to eat otherwise.

I'm sorry that this is happening but don't despair. CRF is not a death sentence if caught early and a regimen of good vet care is maintained. If you decide to give the subQ treatments yourself, it'll become so second nature after just a few times that you'll surprise yourself and it saves so much stress on Blackie and time and money to and from the vet's office. Whatever you decide, I wish you many more happy years w/Blackie. Keep the faythe. And welcome back.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Prays coming sorry I don't have any advice for CRF but my prays are here for you.

Melissa

Thanks to you all for replying so quickly! I really appreciate it. I'm encouraged by your experiences and we're willing to put up a fight for our sweet Blackie.

One small victory this morning... he ate some Hill's K/D dry food... at least 10-12 pieces! First time I've seen him eat something in 2 days. Now I hope he keeps it down. At least I know he's well hydrated... he drinks water often (plus the Sub-Qs). He was 15.5 lbs (7.03 kg) and is now 13.8 lbs (6.3 kg)... he's still a big/strong boy so I'm hopeful he can pull through.

Great suggestions from you all that I will definitely discuss with my vet. I'm willing to try anything... that Blackie and my bank account can withstand. I'll keep you all posted. Keep those kitty prayers coming!! It's great to be back on this board again... such wonderful people here!

Purrs,
    Lisa

I was trying to find the link to some CRF boards for you last night...I am so glad Barbara posted them. Your Blackie could have a good long life yet. PT prayers for the little one, and keep us posted!

Welcome back, too!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug70 View Post
    Thanks to you all for replying so quickly! I really appreciate it. I'm encouraged by your experiences and we're willing to put up a fight for our sweet Blackie.

One small victory this morning... he ate some Hill's K/D dry food... at least 10-12 pieces! First time I've seen him eat something in 2 days. Now I hope he keeps it down. At least I know he's well hydrated... he drinks water often (plus the Sub-Qs). He was 15.5 lbs (7.03 kg) and is now 13.8 lbs (6.3 kg)... he's still a big/strong boy so I'm hopeful he can pull through.

Great suggestions from you all that I will definitely discuss with my vet. I'm willing to try anything... that Blackie and my bank account can withstand. I'll keep you all posted. Keep those kitty prayers coming!! It's great to be back on this board again... such wonderful people here!

Purrs,
    Lisa
    KD comes in canned, too. My RB Puddy loved it and normally she would only eat Purina Cat Chow dry and that's it. Any extra moisture that you can get into Blackie is worth a try. Glad to read that he's still a big strong boy.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Filou loved most Royal Canin Renal Dry. And in the beginning he liked their small pouches of wet food. Unfortunately he changes his preferences every other week.

We have dealt with kidney cats over the years, NINE of them!!!At one point in time, I was hydrating 5 cats! The sub q fluids are the best thing you can do for Blackie. If you learn how to give the fluids, you can order fluids on line and they are much cheaper than at the vet. I just ordered from Brico. They have special rates for the west coast. Barbara gave you one of the sites that I REALLY like the crf.org, Tanya's site. Helen, the woman who runs it, is WONDERFUL!!!! I found that eating canned kidney diet was the way to go. Our Tina Peepers eats the Royal Canin kidney diet and some of their LP dry.However, there came a time when one of our cats refused to eat the special, I would let them eat what they wanted. Feeding a special diet does no good, if the cat refuses to eat it!!! Molly lived several years while eating Friskies...BUT, if they like the special diet, HOORAY!!! It sounds like you are on top of things!!!! Will keep Blackie and you in my prayers, and a candle, too!!!
    Good luck....Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

An addition: I order my sq supplies, fluids, needles, and IV lines from Brico Medical Supplies. Here is their number: 1-866-589-0971....Also, the BEST item they sell, is an IV POLE!!! No more hanging the bag over the cabinet with a hanger.....Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

My Mr. Amber Cat developed this when he was 8 years of age. Amber was also on sub q fluids. I did them here at home myself. I used a loop of sturdy string, over the hinge of a kitchen cabinet, and an S hook. That stayed in place. Time for the treatment, I'd hang the fluid bag from the S hook, and he was up on the counter top, a nice reach for me.

Amber had undiagnosed over active thyroid for some time, which lead to the kidney failure. So he was quite far along in the illnesses. We started the fluids at every other day; by the end of 6 months he was at 3 times per day. When he needed it 4 times per day, he was not happy in between treatments any longer it was just too much and I let him go to RB. It was very difficult, my first cat.

Earlier in the process, in between gtreatments he was his usual self.

I think he did have steroid pills too; hard to remember, he's been gone 8 years now.

Prayers from RI for you and your Blackie.

Blackie has gotten some of his pep back in the last 15-16 hours! Last night and this morning he has shown signs of the lovable, sassy cat we know. Purring, "chirping", vigorous use of the scratching post, and enthusiastically "patrolling" our patio during his daily "outdoor time" (what he lives for).

And jackpot on the food situation! I found what Blackie will eat right now... baby food (per vet's recommendation)! Between last night and this morning, he's eaten a small jar. He licked the plate clean! I agree that if they won't eat the special diet food then you have to find what they will eat (he turns up his nose at the K/D kibble and soft food right now). So we gotta get that energy up! Vet also gave me the kitty version of "pedialite" yesterday... a powder to put in his water to help him get some nutrients.

My stomach is in knots as we'll get the results of his 3rd blood test today from the vet. Blackie went to the vet yesterday for his 4th daily Sub-Q and got more blood drawn. We're hoping that the creatinine and BUN numbers have stabilized.

Please keep your fingers and paws crossed for us!! I'm trying not to get too excited about the latest improvements as I know this will be a rollercoaster ride. I'm just so happy to see that little "spark" in his eyes again. I'll give you an update later today. Thanks again for all the great information and kitty prayers you've provided so far... our family is soooo grateful.

Purrs,
    Lisa

Hey, that's great news! My Puddy was on baby food for a while, too. As my vet said and you just concurred, if they won't eat the special diet food, it won't do any good, now will it? Here's praying that Blackie continues to improve. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Lisa, Baby Food is used at our house, too!!! It is the ULTIMATE bribe food and they LOVE it!!! To get them off it, I have mixed the baby food with the food they are to eat. It was good to read the Blackie licked the plate clean!!!! Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!