View Poll Results: How Often Do You Bath Your Dogs?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once every 2 weeks

6 28.57%
  • Once a month

8 38.10%
  • Once every 3 months

2 9.52%
  • Once every 6 months

4 19.05%
  • Once a year

0 0%
  • Take Dog(s) to Groomer

1 4.76%
  • Other

2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Often Do You Bath Your Dog??

Visa can go months and months and still smell like shampoo, but I bathe her about once a month.
    Mr Tandem on the other hand is the stinkiest dog I've ever had -- even though Visa can participate in all of the same activities (swimming, dog park, etc), Tandem smells like an outside dog two days after a bath. Therefore he gets it about once a week or two. Maybe it's because he's almost a teenager.

And -- a good quality shampoo should always put more in than it takes out. So as long as someone buys a really decent shampoo, they shouldn't worry about the skin drying out. Since I'm a groomer I order many different kinds of great shampoos, and I never have trouble with dry skin.

The huskies get a bath about once a month. Sometimes Skya gets more than one, because she's a white dog and Keva loves to roll her in the mud. Plus she's the easiest to wash. They don't actually stink I wash them more to help with the shedding, I always brush them really well and blow out their coats (I'm a groomer) because they are house dogs and I have to cut down on it as much as I can. Lately I've been brushing them every week if I have time, sometimes I miss a week. I usually just clip their nails once a month when they get a bath, sometimes I clip Keva's more hers don't stay short like Nebo and Skya's.

Simple answer.....not often enough, but too often for someone's liking.

Unless of course, playing in the pond is involved. That make sit all better, especially if I let her chase the geese.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I have shepherd and I bath him twice in a month. I used Hydro Surge Rapid Bath and shampoo I use for my dog is Miracle Coat Curly & Wiry Coat natural ingredient a good quality shampoo. I brush him. You know internet sources are very useful to get the information on any topic you want. You must try to find out the online latest shampoo and bath equipment on different search engines like Google or Yahoo. I got my one for you thepetsdir.com, which may help you out to solve your query.

Thanks Tahir, I appreciate the link

~thank you Krista for my siggy~
    www.k9bsl.com

With 6 dogs, Im bathing 1 almost every day. so about every week or so they all get them. But I end up doing anal glands, ears, nails, teeth and brushing every day. about 100 hours a week grooming and working my dogs.
    I love my bully!

Quote Originally Posted by redog View Post
    With 6 dogs, Im bathing 1 almost every day. so about every week or so they all get them. But I end up doing anal glands, ears, nails, teeth and brushing every day. about 100 hours a week grooming and working my dogs.
    lol Dave, I too do anal glands, ears and nails once a month to every 5weeks when we do ur baths, the dogs know it's a routine, I do clip nails about once a week, the boys especially, lol

www.k9bsl.com

Well I missed the voting on this thread. But I bathe my Aussie's as little as possible. Usually when we are going to someones house or having a party at our house. Or if they are just plain DIRTY!! With Aussie's you are not supposed to bathe them very often because they get dry itchy skin.
    I do have a question for the groomers out there and I'm going to start a new thread in dog general for that.

As for the nails. Zoee doesn't need her's clipped hardly ever. Her's usually only gets her nails clipped when she goes to the groomer (which I do at least once a year for a good hair trim). Taggart needs his clipped more often, also because he has all four dew claws.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Ethan: Hardly ever. Maybe once every three months... if that. He never ever gets dirty and he maintains a pleasant smell. Nails get clipped about once a month.
    Skylar: About once a month. Nails get trimmed when he goes to the groomer (every 3 months or so).
    Sala: I have to bathe her once a week(or every other week in extreme cases) or else her allergies wreak havoc on her poor skin. She gets her nails trimmed every other week.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

the BCs-only when needed, and for a real bath thats maybe once or twice a year max, quite often for little spot cleans like muddy paws.

Electra-hardly ever in the winter, every week or so in the spring/summer..she has seasonal allergies and her skin gets all itchy and a big rash if I dont.

Ladybug-once a month or so..her big thick collie coat picks up EVERYTHING and she gets icky pretty fast!

Rusty-less often then he would like. he LOVES baths, but he is pretty much wash and wear..
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

@apbtmom76
    Thanks for the reply and the pleasure is all mine. I am pleased if you ask anything about dogs.

@redog
    You have six dog wow....you are so much touchy and Carey about your dog, nice.I have German shepherd, I play with him all the time, We go for walk every day, I make food for her and he like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahir View Post
    @apbtmom76
    Thanks for the reply and the pleasure is all mine. I am pleased if you ask anything about dogs.

@redog
    You have six dog wow....you are so much touchy and Carey about your dog, nice.I have German shepherd, I play with him all the time, We go for walk every day, I make food for her and he like it.
    lol Tahir, I could talk dogs all day, with four dogs and hopefully 3 more in the very near future for show and other sports, is a lot, Dave is just amazing, he has 6 dogs and nto an ounce of sanity, lol

www.k9bsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    Koko is a Lab/Golden mix with hair length like a golden. She tends to get dry flakey skin, on her back, in the late summer into the fall. I have a special shampoo that she has to be bathed in about every two weeks. I usually get her in the shower with me in the cool weather and I bath her outside in the summer. She hates the word "shower" and if I mention, "it is time for a shower", she runs off and hides. I don't know why because she is a water dog and loves to swim.
    Hi, I think the flakes come from not getting rid off her undercoat, it is choking the skin. Have you got a rake? and a slicker brush? and a comb for the finer details like front of legs, feet, face.
    I own 4 Golden Retrievers and never wash them in any soap! I brush and rake them real good, then we go for a swim in the sea and then I rinse with conditioner, good rub down and another brush, - done. Never have any smelly dogs or skin problems. Shampoos are simply not needed, invented by someone that wants money!
    However the special shampoos for skin problems are great value, like the Malaseb from Dermacare. But, do only use them if you really have too, as they do destroy the luster/oils in the dogs coat aswell.

For the clipping variety, every six weeks at the groomer, because of clipping. Otherwise they only need to be brushed and combed thoroughly. Too many little white dogs have skin problems from a too enthusiastic mummy! And funny enough, they spend all that time washing their dog, but they have never time to brush and comb!
    Usually a simple mix of conditioner and warm water with a good rub down and a clean towel, will clean any pet!
    I would also recommend some essential oils, Omega 3, 6, + 9, daily one capsule or 1 teaspoon of Flaxseed oil. Also 1 teaspoon of Brewers yeast (Vit B, available in powder form, healt store. And fresh fruit, so your dog can make is own Vitamin C!! Coupled with fresh raw meat, and bones, and green leafy vegetables. See this website pet-affair.com.au

In response to Bea

I have found lately that her flaking issues have been eliminated from going to a grain free diet. I believe corn is the main culprit in her skin issues. I have only recently invested in a comb to remove her undercoat. Her coat is so thick and long it is very hard to effectively remove the the undercoat. Last year I gave her a lab cut thinking it would help her stay cool. i believe the short coat actually made her hotter, so this year I did not cut her coat. koko is a large 100 ibs ( 45 kg) but because of her thick long coat people are constantly commenting on how big she is. I just tell them they should see her wet because she is really lean.

Being the owner of Golden''s what is your opinion on giving short cuts to your dogs. People infer that I'm abusive because she has such a long coat. Our typical summer high is 95 f (35 C), so the weather is higher than her bred is used to. When we are having our coldest weather is when she really comes alive. She would go swimming on a 32 degree f (0 degree) day. In the summer even in the air conditioned house she is either on a AC vent, or lying on cool tile floors. I really think though that she was cooler this year with her long hair.