Thread: Hi!

Hi!

I've been responding to posts forgetting that I haven't intoduced myself on this board.

My name is Tiff and I'm owned by 8 fuzzy creatures most of which were rescues. I've got to learn the word No. Plus I think there's a sign above my apartment door that says: Sucker lives here. Will feed! I have 5 ferrets and 3 kittens.
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

I have a webpage that hasn't been updated in ages. It only has my first 3 ferrets and none of the kitties..but it does have some good pictures. Triple Trouble

Anywhoo...Hi!

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe

Welcome, belatedly! Now, do the ferrets tease the cats or vice versa?

Welllll.....the ferrets have their own room because I cannot adequately ferret proof the apartment without making major repairs. The ferrets have a plexiglass gate on their room. The kitties love to play in the ferret room as long as the ferrets are caged, but they don't like the constant attention when the ferrets are out. So, the cats sit on the other side of the plexiglass and love to watch the ferrets run around. I guess the cats tease the ferrets because the ferts want out bad. Here are pics of the kitties(sorry so large) one in the middle shows Gigi watching the ferrets:

Welcome to Pet Talk!!

Chinadoll,

I have seen a lot of you and the kitties on the catboard so hello again! I love Bixby's little black nose and chin spot because my cat Sam has them too!
    I thought of you and your ferrets yesterday when I went to visit my son's classroom at school and found out they have a pet ferret! Her name is Lily and she is so cute and friendly! She looks pretty young like she isn't full grown yet. I love the name Lily, I think it goes perfect with your two girl ferrets Lola and Lulu! She has a little hammock in her cage, it is so cute to see her curled up in it!

a belated Welcome chinadoll.....and all your furkids!!!
    love the pictures...your kitties are wonderful...and the ferrets too!!!!
    hope you enjoy it here!!!!
    we love photos!!!
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

A belated "Welcome" Chinadoll!

(and may I say I just love your name~it was part of my little rainbow bridge Keisha's name..Keisha Chinadoll)!

Your fur family looks wonderful! I can't wait to hear more about them!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Thanks..Actually, Chinadoll is a nickname given to me by the ladies from the accounting office of a club I used to work at. They said I looked like one of those porcelain chinadolls. After that, I was forever known as Chinadoll to them.

Chinadoll, I think your username fits you! Somewhere you posted a link to your ferrets webpage and there was a photo of you there. After seeing your photo, I agree that you do look like a cute little Chinadoll!
    I see that you added Lulu's photo to your signature, does that mean she is a keeper?

Thank you...Yes, Lulu is a keeper. If I keep rescuing like this, I'll have a zoo. I'm staying out of petstores from now on. Lulu is so cute. I haven't had a baby ferret since my first...she's just too adorable to place in another home..plus she loves her brothers and sisters. I think Lola was tired of being the only girl.

Chinadoll, I got to see Lily again last night at the Open House for my kids school. Her coloring is a lighter brown a lot like your Lola. What is that color called, Sable, or light sable? She is so friendly and loves kids, I wish I could take her home with me!

I call Lola and Rory light sable or chocolate..both are accepted color types to describe them. I bet the kids have a blast with her. Do they take her home on the weekends or does the teacher just take care of her?

Chinadoll,

As far as I know the teacher takes the ferret home on the weekends and vacations, not the students. Last year my other son had a ferret in his classroom that was 3 years old but she ate something that she found in the classroom when she was out getting exercised after school and got sick and died from it. One of the students mother who is an EMT took her home but she died during the night. Are there a lot of things that are toxic to ferrets? How long does the average ferret live? Your ferrets are all pretty young aren't they.

Most ferrets live anywhere from7 to 10 years. My oldest Max is 3, Rory's almost 2, Lola is 1 1/2, Jax is 1, and Lulu is around 9 to 10 weeks.

The same things that are toxic to cats and dogs applies for ferrets. The problem with ferrets is that they have such small digestive tracks. If a dog or cat swallows a small peice of their toy they've bitten off, in most cases they'll pass it...but it can be deadly to a ferret. While most ferrets aren't chewers(ie. wires) they are highly inquistive and need to explore everything. Sometimes part of that exploring is to test out how it feels in their mouth. That's why ferrets can't have any latex dog/cat toys, anything with small pieces that can break off or anything soft and rubbery that could small break apart.

Ferret owners joke that having a ferret is like having a hyperactive 2 year old...always on the go, and always up to know good. Most probably the ferret from your son's class that died ate something and got blockage. Beacause it was a class room, my thoughts would be on an eraser.