Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: I'm just wondering whats your thought on chaining a dog?

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Some people cant wait to be offended by an imagined controversy. Ive seen Marty post on other boards and controversy was not his intention IMO with this thread.

Professional mushers may have a hundred dogs or more, not 8, + fosters or a 25 dog boarding kennel that I can only assume is a for profit business (Im sure you will correct me if my assumption is incorrect, and if I am I apologise).

Musher country out here and none have 100 dogs or more. At the most SOME have 12-15 in case some should be unable to race. None of their dogs are ever chained. They have kennels with well insulated dog houses but never spend 24/7 alone outdoors. They are kept in the house 4-5 at a time so each have their turn and can socialize with the owners. they all eat raw so all are fed outside but that's it. Even properly chained dogs run into accidents if that chain happens to get twisted up and a leg caught in it while the dogs are playing , Not a pretty sight. Any dog will look exuberantly happy if chained outdoors 24/7 and the owner comes out to give them attention. What about the rest of the time, what do they have to keep them mentally stimulated or feel part of a family and loved? JMO also.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I have nothing against chained dogs.. WHEN done properly.. and you seem to have done so

having several dogs in kennels is not always good.. especially if they can´t tolerate each other.. or have dog agression.. in my own case.. I don´t have them chained but my husky girls have to be separated 24/7 or its´blood shed.. literally.. one of them is in a small space, due to my house availability to separate areas.. (they get switched every now and then but still)..

what if i crash and die?.. most likely.. it would take a while for my dogs to adjust to another person.. Ninja is good with kids but you have to be wary as she tends to get overexcited... China would be so freaked out it would take years for her to come out of her shell... just as any other dog.. work would do wonders.. and no, they are not housetrained.. they live outside.. they have food, water, shelter and lotsa love.. when i lived at my parents I wasn´t allowed to get them inside.. and when i moved they would just not do it for their life.. they freak and want out and fast...

if i didn´t had a fenced yard.. nor an option to separate.. I would either not have a dog.. or have it tethered/chained for it´s safety.. sometimes that´s the option you have.. but you have to do it in the RIGHT way

oh... and if you seek for something you´ll find.. I never saw this as a I-want-controversy thread.. if anyone does.. then don´t start it.. IMHO
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Some people cant wait to be offended by an imagined controversy. Ive seen Marty post on other boards and controversy was not his intention IMO with this thread..
    I didn't quote Marty as starting the controversy, did I? Check my post again.

Ive seen horses confined to stalls for most of their lives, only being let out when their owners wish to work them. Cats being confined to a single room only getting interaction when their owner wishes it. Not the same as being chained to a tree but close...
    And that's not right, either. One wrong does not justify another.

Professional mushers may have a hundred dogs or more, not 8, + fosters or a 25 dog boarding kennel that I can only assume is a for profit business (Im sure you will correct me if my assumption is incorrect, and if I am I apologise).

As long as the mushers dogs are healthy and well socialized, chaining is an economical solution where concrete, fencing, and escape proofing would be cost preventative.

My main problem with chaining is that the dogs arent protected from predators or other wild animals. Over the last few years wolves have been preying on dog yards because there isnt enough wild prey for them to subsist on. Moose getting into dog yards can also do alot of damage to the dogs...
    I don't live around professional mushers, so I obviously am not an expert on the topic. The person we really need to ask is Glacier. But a hundred dogs? Really? Is that common? Sorry, but I do NOT consider someone who owns a hundred staked-out dogs a good example of why chaining up dog is ok. How can a hundred dogs ever be "well-socialized" when they are chained up alone? Why would anyone ever need to own a hundred dogs to run a sled team? Again, not claiming to be an expert on sled dogs, but that sounds like a terrible situation to me.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    I'd rather see them kenneled

Another thought, what if you get in a car crash and die? Who's going to want to adopt an un-houstrained dog? How will 20 dogs not housetrained find homes? You should definately work on house manners with them even if its one at a time. They should also experience things like hard floors and stairs and such. You can't predict your future.
    would you beleive he has already made plans in case something would happen to him? these are show dogs, not chained messes. and deffinately the best representative of the breed. therefore extra care is taken on a daily basis to ensure the best care and attention. ,ive seen many yards and folks who thought they were keeping there dogs safe in kennels have gone to the chain set up you see here in this post. I would for sure rather see his dogs in the house on the couch but these are not that kind of dogs.

and for the negative stuff
    I never once saw this thread as anything other than wanting opinions. this is a great forum and i dont understand the animosity tossed around here. someone always has to mention "pt hates pitbulls" or "rabid pitbull people" . just stick to the op or dont respond. OPPINNIONS ON CHAINING not theres one of those threads that i can be an ass on.
    I love my bully!

I didn't say people hated 'pit bulls'. I LOVE them not everyone loves the same things. Maybe that's why I get so defensive? So I am sorry about that my love for them will never change and I will never not speak up for them and responsible owners like the OP.

It's not the whole forum that hates them just some people don't care for them and they make that clear in their posts. As for starting controversy, I wasn't!! I have been here for years and you should know by now I am not one to start it and the OP certainly wasn't either. Some things never change. Back to the original topic.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    I didn't say people hated 'pit bulls'. I LOVE them not everyone loves the same things. Maybe that's why I get so defensive? So I am sorry about that my love for them will never change and I will never not speak up for them and responsible owners like the OP.

It's not the whole forum that hates them just some people don't care for them and they make that clear in their posts. As for starting controversy, I wasn't!! I have been here for years and you should know by now I am not one to start it and the OP certainly wasn't either. Some things never change.
    he he i actually was talking in general. I actully love your encouragement and well thought posts. just that most times i stop by something always catches my eye and is in need of a kick in the a**
    I love my bully!

Quote Originally Posted by redog View Post
    . just that most times i stop by something always catches my eye and is in need of a kick in the a**

I’m guessing you didn’t read Karen’s earlier post?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    No, I don't think he's trying to create controversy, and this being Pet Talk, we can do our best to have a thoughtful, discussion, and if we disagree, do it with respect.

My dogs are in their room for most of the day. I cannot have four dogs roaming around the house with doors being open, they can bolt out and no one notice. Though sometimes I do let them free-roam and I do spend time with them, not to mention walk them daily. I cannot chain them outside however....Florida heat, thief, posion, ect...comes to mind. Plus they like the outdoors, but they don't like being outdoors for too long. Me personally I can't have a chain dog, but I don't shun those who choose to.
    MY RUGRATS

This is a controversial subject, therefore, there is bound to be controversy. I, personally, don't believe the initial post was created to cause controversy, but I can understand why some people chose to view it as that. I agree with Twisterdog, whole-heartedly, on the chaining issue and some of the issues brought up in posts about PT.

PT is what you make it, and I am aware I've said this before. New members are always welcomed here, but we also demand respecfulness - which is one of the main reasons I stay on PT. It is one of the few places I've seen where there is a steady stream of respect, and if there is a disagreement, it can be worked out rather easily and usually is in some way, shape, or form. When a member decides to "kick some a**" for example ( ) I believe we are within our rights to get defensive. Opinions can be shared without getting fired up, and there are many threads around to prove that. It's not a problem, sharing your views respecfully, but I personally am tired of seeing some rude posts/remarks, pointing fingers, and excuses by newer members and older ones alike. I, myself, am not perfect and have said some things to others on here I am not proud of - and I am slowly growing out of my previous short temper. I hope other members will do the same.

Back to OT - We use a tie-out for Mikey when he goes potty, because he WILL run away and our yard is not totally escape proof. I am leary of it, and don't like it, but until the summer and until he gets to training classes (which we've already signed up for) it'll have to do. Regardless, I ALWAYS watch him or someone is always watching him while he is outside. I can never picture chaining a dog outside, it's just not something I can do.

Marty I'm very interested in you and your dogs way of life before I make my thoughts on chaining. Would you care to indulge me?

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I'm wondering what's your thoughts on someone who comes into a website and starts threads purposefully for the sole purpose of confrontation?

Several of you came to this forum after a thread about someone acting somewhat questionably with their dog and then posting in a rather rude manner about one of the responses they got.

For starters, my initial response to seeing an APBT in Lowes where I live would be to look for the nice little blue or red bandanna around the pup's neck under the camo sweatshirt.

My second response would be to call the manager to get the dog and owner removed from store property. (Yes, I know, just the attention they wanted)

Not because the dog is an APBT, but because there's a high likelihood that the dog and owner aren't there for good purposes.......

Just like the sudden influx of APBT owners on this board aren't here for good intentions, but rather to cause issues.

Anytime someone starts talking in catch phrases like "breed of choice", it sends red flags up. My breed of choice is whatever mutt happens to catch my attention when I'm looking for a pup (right, Lady?). The phrase is itself is nothing more than a challenge. It's MY CHOICE, what right do YOU have to disagree with me.

Sorry, I'm not going to extend the warm fuzzy greeting, witnessed too many troll saturations on too many websites, and frankly, unlike my sister, I'm not of the opinion that warm welcomes change anything.

Want to be welcomed?

Stop posting threads that are blatant challenges, post pics of the pups, stories about the pups, and join in.

If the threads continue, my ignore list is going to go back into use.

Love the pics of the pups, hate the blatant trolling that's behind them.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    My second response would be to call the manager to get the dog and owner removed from store property. (Yes, I know, just the attention they wanted)

Not because the dog is an APBT, but because there's a high likelihood that the dog and owner aren't there for good purposes.......

Just like the sudden influx of APBT owners on this board aren't here for good intentions, but rather to cause issues.

What is your problem? What the owner is in a gang or something because it had a bandana and is a pit bull?! LMAO. I live in a gang related neighborhood and they have whatever sort of dogs, from rotts to poodles. Really, that is sooo stereotypical. And honestly 'snitching' on a gang member, especially because of their dog (whom they probably won't even be in Lowes WITH their dog to begin with) is just ASKING for trouble.

Wait I dyed my dog blue, am I a crip?!

And 2nd its Lowes, doesn't even contain food...I dunno because I live in South Florida and it might be more dog friendly than most places, really its not that big deal for a person to be in Lowes with a dog, or atleast understand in most places its not 'out the norm'. What problems is a dog going to cause at Lowes to call the manager for? I don't know about you but I like to take my dogs as many places that allow them, ever thought that was the same for other people who take their dogs to Lowes and rather now leave them in the car or at the house?

What if the dog was a golden with a cameo jacket? What would be your first thoughts? Report the manager, or oh it must be a therapy dog of some sort?

And FYI pits need thick collars, becasue they have thick necks, not because they can't be contained. Just like its better to have a toy dog on a harness so they won't slip out of collar or choke on it on walks.
    MY RUGRATS

I'm wondering what's your thoughts on someone who comes into a website and starts threads purposefully for the sole purpose of confrontation?

Several of you came to this forum after a thread about someone acting somewhat questionably with their dog and then posting in a rather rude manner about one of the responses they got.

For starters, my initial response to seeing an APBT in Lowes where I live would be to look for the nice little blue or red bandanna around the pup's neck under the camo sweatshirt.

Anytime someone starts talking in catch phrases like "breed of choice", it sends red flags up. My breed of choice is whatever mutt happens to catch my attention when I'm looking for a pup (right, Lady?). The phrase is itself is nothing more than a challenge. It's MY CHOICE, what right do YOU have to disagree with me.

Sorry, I'm not going to extend the warm fuzzy greeting, witnessed too many troll saturations on too many websites, and frankly, unlike my sister, I'm not of the opinion that warm welcomes change anything.

Want to be welcomed?

Stop posting threads that are blatant challenges, post pics of the pups, stories about the pups, and join in.

If the threads continue, my ignore list is going to go back into use.

Love the pics of the pups, hate the blatant trolling that's behind them.
    WOW!I guess I can pack my bags and leave then,since I am one of the so called APBT owners that are here just to cause issues.
    I don't think Marty started this thread to cause issues.He has asked opinions about this very same thing on several APBT websites.Why would he not want ya'lls opnions as well?
    I did not join because of anything that has to do with Lowes thread.Why are you even bringing that up in this thread?What does that have to do with chaining dogs?I joined to talk about my pets whom I love with other people that love their pets too.Just because I also belong to gopitbull does not mean I came here to talk trash or start stuff.I belong to 3 other pet websites as well.
    Why does someone saying they have a breed of choice send red flags?
    Actually nevermind.It will just make it seem like I'm trying to "cause issues" in your eyes.

Marty no I don't chain my dogs or think I ever would.But I've never been in your situation before.So who can say what I would do if I were you.
    Love your dogs!

I know Marty, he's far from confrontational...I dunno maybe if you actually sit back and listen, you might get educated on a few things and the breed.

You've never been in his shoes. You're probably one of those people that would call the ASPCA on him and get his dogs taken away from him, because you see that he has pits, keeps them chained, uses spring poles, ect....and everything the HSUS and whatnot has to say about pit bull fighters have and look like and so he MUST be fighting his dogs, and thus why he comes on here and shares to the public about WHY his dogs are kept the way they are.

This could be your neighbor and many many pit bull owners have to deal with this problem, just ONE call and their dogs taken away from them and be PTS. This is why education on dog/pet forums is KEY, so these dogs and owners don't have that fate.
    MY RUGRATS

Quote Originally Posted by dixieland View Post
    Why does someone saying they have a breed of choice send red flags?
    I own small dogs! Red flags, red flags, I must be Paris Hilton! Yes ankle-biting, yappy, purse dogs!
    MY RUGRATS