Thread: German Shephard

German Shephard

I wanted to buy a german shephard but my brother said i couldnt beable to train one what are they like im looking for these qualitys
    Personality,intellagence,obdeince, lovable,loyal,athletic
    what to i have to be like in order to train a german shephard?

They are very intelligent. As such, you need to be an experienced dog owner, or willing to do a lot of research if you are going to raise one successfully. Maybe you should get a dog, not a puppy, from a shelter that already has some training, and you can work on more training once you have him or her home!
    I've Been Frosted

German Shepherd Dogs are highly intelligent dogs- they will keep you on their toes. They need a job in order for them not to go crazy like many other herding breeds. GSDs are often one person dogs, but can make great family dogs.
    I can't say it enough- They are not first time dogs for first time dog owners. and like Karen said, You must be an experienced big dog owner! GSDs need a stern hand in training, they will try to outsmart you. Socialization is key in dogs like these.

GSDs also have a lot of health issues, and that equals a lot of big vet bills. GSDs are highly prone to canine hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, bloat (GDV), and several others.
    They shed heavily, all year-round.
    It is also difficult to find one with the correct temperament these days!

There are many many other breeds with those traits you listed. Whichever breed you choose, research, research, & research the breed thoroughly.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I am the proud owner of 2 German Shepherd Dogs. One of which is from German working lines and is a complete handful!

There is nothing better than owning a GSD, but it is difficult.These are not beginner dogs or dogs for novice dog owners.

Research is the key.

They are a dominant breed so you need to establish yourself as leader right away. They can and will outsmart you if given the chance. They are extremely intelligent dogs and need daily mental and physical stimulation or they will become destructive. They are truly a Working breed so you need to keep them busy!

They are extremely loyal and bond very closely with their owners. They are often described as "velcro dogs". They love being with their family and will follow you everywhere you will allow.

There are also a lot of health problems in the breed, so do careful research when looking for a puppy. My male has hip dysplasia and a thyroid condition so I have literally spent thousands in vet bills.

GSDs are not a breed to get into on a whim. Take careful consideration.

If you have any questions feel free to message me. I love talking about the breed.
    Ruled by:

The GSDS: Addaxx and Fenyxx
    The Poodle thing: Frodo
    The Chihuahua: Stark

We have a german shepherd. He's almost a year old and he's a great dog. He's very smart and comes when ever we call him. I'm so glad we got him-you couldn't ask for a better dog! The thing my mom doesn't like about him though is the way he's scared of people that he doesn't know. He barks/growls at strangers... When people come over he won't let them pet him. He just keeps his distance. He's very protective though. He showed signs of being protective of us and guarding the yard at a real early age.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Quote Originally Posted by Genny View Post
    When people come over he won't let them pet him. He just keeps his distance.
    German Shepherds are naturally aloof dogs. Socialization is a very important part when owning a GSD. They are not the type of dogs to run up and greet people [minus close family members and friends that have been accepted by the dog] like more sociable breeds like Labs or Goldens would. They are usually pretty indifferent about people other than their owners. They should never bark/growl at strangers.
    My 2 are not very people oriented, but since I have been socializing them since a very early age they will tolerate people. If someone, small children included, wants to pet them they will gladly sit politely and let themselves be pat - maybe even offer a small polite kiss.

Thats another key point I forgot to mention. SOCIALIZE socialize socialize! They are definitely a breed that needs plenty of socialization from an early age to anything and everything. [people, dogs, objects, places, etc etc]
    Ruled by:

The GSDS: Addaxx and Fenyxx
    The Poodle thing: Frodo
    The Chihuahua: Stark

The key to owning a GSD is to do your homework and find a reputable breeder who breeds for temperament and health. And a breeder who has references from satisfied customers for at least 3-4 generations. GSD are highly intelligent but one of the easiest dogs to train as they want to please at all costs. Stay away from BYB or you'll be in trouble. And plan on making your dog part of the family or don't get one.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----