Thread: International bird appreciation day!

International bird appreciation day!

We have a special tradition in my home for January 1. We celebrate International Bird Appreciation Day (I-BAD)!! Most of my birds are rescues and they all (except 1) came to us as mystery birds so we do not know their hatch days. I-BAD is a collective hatchday celebration with toys, birdie bread and lots of cuddling. We invite other birds and their humans to visit and, best of all, we try to invite a few people who have not had much exposure to birds to join in the festivities.

I begin tomorrow morning by visiting the Bird Sanctuary where I volunteer and spending some quality time with my hawk friend, Isis. We will sit on the beach and chat. Then home to cook for my birds and our friends. It is usually a wonderful day!!

If you have birds (or if you just love them!) celebrate I-BAD in your home too!

Much love and Happy New Year AND Happy I-BAD!!

Cathy and the FLorida FLock

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

I think that's a WONDERFUL tradition, Cathy!! Good for you!

Much love and Happy, blessed New Year back to you!!

Maggie and Pinot-girl
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

That certainly does sound like a wonderful tradition! I believe it will easily become a tradition within my flock, too.

I am not certain of the hatchdates of my tiels, but I had always celebrated Lilly's birthday around this time anyway... perfect timing!

I hope everyone has a great new year and a great I-BAD celebration!
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Cathy and your flock, happy I-BAD to you! The colorful photos in your signature always make me smile!

Can we celebrate outdoor birds, too? My dad is a bird watcher and has a bird feeder in the yard. In winter he gets visits from sparrows, chickadees, finches, and cardinals. The neighborhood outdoor kitties sometimes come by to try to make the birds their lunch, and he gently shoos them away. He and my mom enjoy watching the yard birds all the year round.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Cathy and your flock, happy I-BAD to you! The colorful photos in your signature always make me smile!

Can we celebrate outdoor birds, too? My dad is a bird watcher and has a bird feeder in the yard. In winter he gets visits from sparrows, chickadees, finches, and cardinals. The neighborhood outdoor kitties sometimes come by to try to make the birds their lunch, and he gently shoos them away. He and my mom enjoy watching the yard birds all the year round.

Hey there CM!! Just saw your post since I was away from PT for about a week or so. Outdoor birds are to be celebrated as well. I feed mourning doves, blue jays, a few different types of woodpeckers. They got some treats on 1/1 as well (and the squirrels of course, who get some of everything!!)

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain