Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your cat see things that aren't there?

Does your cat see things that aren't there?

This has actually been going on for awhile, but last night I finally realized how weird it was getting. Mikey, my white odd-eyed Cornish Rex has taken to sitting on top of a small chest of drawers and stairing up at the ceiling. Quite often I'll come upstairs and see him sitting in the almost dark, sitting, watching attentatively. Also, I should mention that he is deaf. I don't hear or see anything. It's really weird. I'm starting to wonder if he's seeing ghosts or is sensing that the roof is going to fall in! Reminds me of that old Far Side cartoon where two dogs are sitting in a kitchen facing a door. One says to the other something like: "One way to really freak them out is to sit and growl at the closed basement door." Does your cat see things that aren't there? Do you think they're just having fun with us? Or maybe they really do have a sixth sense?

Don't you know that cats can see ghosts ???

Well, I guess that explains it! Wonder if it's a cat ghost ?

Yes! Our first apartment that we rented had paneled walls. So the kitties didn't really noticed the walls that much. Now that we have bought a house with sheetrock for walls they notice the little dots all over the wall. Sometimes you can see Yum Yum stretching trying to get those little dots. It is so cute!
    "Happiness Is Owning A Human!"

Visit Dutchess & Yum Yum's Website Pleassee:

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

Just because we can't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Wind can't be seen but felt and its effects can be seen. I think animals can see things we can't. Maybe they are seeing angels instead of ghosts. I'd rather see an angel than a ghost.

Tilly in particular does this but all of my girls do. I know the spirit of my grandmother is around here sometimes (she lived with me until she passed away last year) and sometimes all three will stop whatever they are doing and stare into the hallway, and their tails will get all puffed up!! Sometimes it can be scarey . Tilly also stares at the walls and the ceiling. The other morning she was doing this and I kept telling her, "NOTHING IS THERE!!" so then I look up and what do I see? I big black spider crawling along the ceiling. I think she knew it was in my room and was looking to see where it would appear rather than AT it.. it freaked me out!! So we had a good spider killing session that morning. She is still staring at where she saw it last, but I think that's because I killed it and not her, so she keeps looking for more fun!

Of course I do have one more possible explaination. They are toying with us. I have had several cats that look at either the floor, like they see a bug, or under a dresser, like a favorite toy went under there, only to get up and look for what they are looking at and finding nothing at all. By the time you realize that it is nothing, they have walked away with that "HA HA I fooled you" look on their face.

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    Of course I do have one more possible explaination. They are toying with us. I have had several cats that look at either the floor, like they see a bug, or under a dresser, like a favorite toy went under there, only to get up and look for what they are looking at and finding nothing at all. By the time you realize that it is nothing, they have walked away with that "HA HA I fooled you" look on their face.
    LOL!!! Mine do that too. I swear they are saying, "Ha! Made ya look!!!

Mine will stare at bugs or ants and sometimes by the time I go over to see what they're staring at there is nothing there. Sometimes they also stare at marks on the wall. I guess they must be really bored.

At a local shop, there is a five foot high Balinese brass statue of a godly-looking, upstanding feline. We call it the Balinese Cat God, and it apparently oversees all the local cats (including ours). When Mini stares at the wall for ages on end, we are sure he's sending telepathic messages to the Balinese Cat God, ie tell mummy to give us more food, let us outside, play with us etc etc. We were saving to buy the Cat God as he was $700 and we didn't have any spare cash for His Holiness, but the day before we went to buy him, a lady with a cattery got in first and now he graces the entrance to her cattery! Our cats still talk to him though.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

As has become his custom, Mikey, spent a good deal of time in his ghost watching spot last night. It is an old house, and where he sits is under the slope of the beaded board ceiling. If he sits up really straight his head would touch. After watching him watch for about 45 minutes I again went over and looked and there is NOTHING that I can see!!! I do have to say that just watching him is kind of fascinating, though I don't get much of my book read. And he always reaches his perch by the same route. Up on the far side of the bed, over me, onto the night stand, step onto the dresser, then onto the ledge on that side of the wall, under the curtain at the window, continue on the ledge and then step up onto the chest of drawers. Getting off he just jumps down, but getting there is always the same circuititous route. And when he's watching he is SO intent. Ears forward, right paw up, long tail coiled around the right leg (not calmly resting around both paws together). Tonight I bring the camera!

NICOLE YOU WERE REALLY ABLE TO SPENT 700$ IN THAT STUFF?!? MY GOD! OR I MUST SAY MY GODNESS!!!!

I have a better idea, can you have a photo like the cat-god in the shop or some similar? Then you enlarge it in your computer,copy in a CD or floppy disk, go to a "printer shop" ( those wich print plans for architecs,etc...) and have it printed. Bring it home and paint it with goden-paint, then glue the drawing againts a hard board or wood and cut it in shape...then hold it in a wall or stand it in a base.
    And don't forget to place it the favourite's Mini spot for him to pray

PS: Could you ask, please, Mini to send some prayers for Koxka to smooth her temper???

Thanks in advance.
    On behalf of Iuri, Paloo and Ginjol.

Koxka's Humans'
    Last edited by koxka; 10-13-2002 at 03:54 AM.

Originally posted by koxka
    NICOLE YOU WERE REALLY ABLE TO SPENT 700$ IN THAT STUFF?!? MY GOD! OR I MUST SAY MY GODNESS!!!!

I think I've probably spent that much on little fake fur mousies already .... (teasing)
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

Originally posted by koxka

I have a better idea, can you have a photo like the cat-god in the shop or some similar? Then you enlarge it in your computer,copy in a CD or floppy disk, go to a "printer shop" ( those wich print plans for architecs,etc...) and have it printed. Bring it home and paint it with goden-paint, then glue the drawing againts a hard board or wood and cut it in shape...then hold it in a wall or stand it in a base.
    And don't forget to place it the favourite's Mini spot for him to pray

PS: Could you ask, please, Mini to send some prayers for Koxka to smooth her temper???

Thanks in advance.
    On behalf of Iuri, Paloo and Ginjol.

Koxka's Humans'
    We were thinking about it <blush> But we didn't get it, which is a good thing as I finish my job tomorrow and we couldn't afford it anyway! Things have a way of working themselves out.

Iuri, Paloo and Ginjol - you give your mummy hugs and kisses from me now. I am sorry for upsetting her

PS the Australian currency is equivalent to bananas anyway, it's not that much ...
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Originally posted by Miss Meow

We were thinking about it <blush> But we didn't get it, which is a good thing as I finish my job tomorrow and we couldn't afford it anyway! Things have a way of working themselves out.

Iuri, Paloo and Ginjol - you give your mummy hugs and kisses from me now. I am sorry for upsetting her

PS the Australian currency is equivalent to bananas anyway, it's not that much ...

Nicole,I tink there's some misundertanding.I don't see why you upset me...in what????

You are free of spending your money in any way you want it's your...I was just pulling your legs!!!

What I really need are some prayers for Koxka and nobody is better than your spiritual budy Mini.
    From cat to cat it works better