Thread: PT prayers for my Hobbes; He's gone

Threaded View

PT prayers for my Hobbes; He's gone

Woke up this morning to Hobbes howling on the floor at the base of my bed. He always sleeps on the bed. Picked him up and put him on the bed and it was obvious he was in pain. Felt him around and he howled when I touched his right back leg. Didn't seem like the hip. Hobbes is um..portly so I thought that might be it. He's not a climber at 18lbs but I always feared when he jumped down from any height it would be his front skinny legs to be the problem.
    Waited till 9am for the vet to open. He drank some water and I took him to potty but he couldn't stand. Vet couldn't take me (damn holidays!) and suggested other possible solutions. I went to another vet that told me I could see me at 1. Possibly earlier if I wanted to wait in the waiting room. Hobbes was clearly in pain as he didn't eat and let me pick him up and put him in his carrier which normally requires towels, gloves and the element of surprise.
    Long story short, xrays (I didn't think it was brokken as he doesn't climb). Ankle swollen (who knew cats had ankles?) Bad breathe. Diagnosis..abcessed tooth infected. Bacteria in the blood steam. First affected is the joints. Sort of an arthritic thing. Got to take a fluid sample from the joint now that he is sedated for the xray. So far totaling $700. They don't do dental at this vet and call my original vet to schedule the tooth removal. End of day, $900 to figure out what's wrong and a likely $1000 to remove the offending tooth.
    My real sadness is how puny my baby feels six hours later. He's still in his carrier. Unheard of! He's not eaten, drank or pee'd since last night. Not a purr to be heard. From my big purr monster.
    I just want him to full Hobbsterness. Talk about bad timing. There's never a good time but rent is due in two days and I'm just scraping by with really crap credit. They were nice enough to do a three month payment plan but that's big bucks I don't know where it will come from.
    LOA do your stuff.
    Thanks for your positive thoughts!
    Last edited by kitten645; 01-02-2010 at 03:42 AM.