Page 18 of 75 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts

Aww, whenever it seems hopeless, PM me, and I promise to lend you some!
    I've Been Frosted

PTers, can someone please tell me what a "Trunk or Treat" is? A local church is having one tomorrow from 2 to 4. My neighbor mentioned it to me because they need more participants. I have no idea what it is (I assume it's something to do with Halloween though).

Thanks,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

"A Trunk or Treat is a Halloween event that is often church- or community-sponsored. People gather and park their cars in a large parking lot. They open their trunks, or the backs of their vehicles, and decorate them. Then they pass out candy from their trunks. The event provides a safe family environment for trick or treaters."

It is apparently a big thing! I had never heard of it either - probably popular in places that have bigger church parking lots than we do!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    It amazes me how something simple can set someone off, and in the process, they reveal their true colors which aren't pretty at all. Actually, I find it to be quite sad.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Calculators are REQUIRED for 6th grade math..........

Tell me again why people need a register to make change for them?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

Graphing Calculators are required for my college math class, but we can't use them on the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

It would make my life a lot simpler if I was a cashier, or someone regularly dealing with money, to have a calculator at the ready. For years, I was ashamed of my flat out inability to do even simple math calculations. I have been very, very, very poor with math- even basic "simple" math my entire life, and have a difficult time subtracting double digits, even from a hundred. Make it something like 116 - 38 = ??? and it certainly takes me a minute to figure it out.

Really, who cares? It hasn't made me a terrible person, and I have other areas of strength, for sure. But, I bet, in the darkest hour, most of us can admit we just really stink at something.

I care, because my daughter is in the aforementioned math class, and they are requiring students to learn to use a scientific calculator before they have the basics down.

They're using calculators for fractions.

Unsat.

Crawl....walk....run.

In addition, I just had to make corrections on a homework assignment which wouldn't have been required if she was doing things out by hand.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    It would make my life a lot simpler if I was a cashier, or someone regularly dealing with money, to have a calculator at the ready. For years, I was ashamed of my flat out inability to do even simple math calculations. I have been very, very, very poor with math- even basic "simple" math my entire life, and have a difficult time subtracting double digits, even from a hundred. Make it something like 116 - 38 = ??? and it certainly takes me a minute to figure it out.

Really, who cares? It hasn't made me a terrible person, and I have other areas of strength, for sure. But, I bet, in the darkest hour, most of us can admit we just really stink at something.

As an addendum....

I can certainly admit that I have issues with certain tasks.

However, pardon the heck out of me for trying to ensure that my daughter actually CAN do math in her head without the use of a calculator.

Being a lawyer may not require the ability to do calculations, but any technical field requires it.

10. I have to go with LH on this one....it is great to have tools like a calculator but if you don't know how to do it without and understand the why you haven't learned to do the task. What happens if you need to do some calculations and don't have a calculator available? If you always depend on a calculator how do you know if a number looks "off?" You will have to accept what someone else tells you the number should be.

I am not a math whiz but I force myself to do manual calculations periodically just to make sure I still can!

Did anybody see "CSI" tonight, the episode with Nick and the GSD ... I loved at the end when he laid out his rules- Sunday is for watching football and we root for the Cowboys Nick you are gonna love being owned by a goggie!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

It's not quite 7 AM and there is a bird in the crabapple tree, singing loudly! A cheerful treat on a chilly, rainy morning.

Why is there no "spring" in spring rolls?

-------------

I was looking at the packaging on a tin of food.

The cardboard box it came in says, "delicious recipe on back".

Really?

I guess "Crappy recipe on back" wouldn't fly?

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Why do some PTers come here and never mention their pets or anyone elses......
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'd like to submit a petition to the Federal Government of the United States:

That the Federal Government add another Holiday to the calendar, said holiday to be a floating holiday falling on the third Monday of the Month of March, and that a similar holiday be proclaimed falling on the second Monday of the month of August.

That these Holidays be officially named "Excuse to sell stuff in (fill in the respective month) Day"

Federal Employees get the day off, with no mail delivery, giving people yet another reason to carp about all the benefits Federal employees get.

Due to the nature of the Holiday, Banks would, of course, have to remain open, as would retail establishments.